Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Didn't realise big Obika had been out for that long before he joined in January. It's maybe no surprise he's picked up another issue seeing as we were forced to play him for the full 90 mins in his first 4 or 5 appearances due to our lack of options. 

With KVV definitely away in the summer, maybe Ketts will see it as an opportunity to do a full refresh his forward options as both Obika and Mandron are essentially here to do the dirty work for Kev, and it Kev ain't here then ....

I guess it depends on how SK sees us setting up next season, but at best it's one or the other rather than both.  I'd probably take the punt on Obika.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Given Queens Park’s season is over does Shields come back and train with us for a fortnight, a chance to catch the manager’s eye or is he on the beach resting up for a sub appearance in the League Cup against Morton.

I've already booked transport and a hotel room near Cappielow and if we don't get them I'm gonna demand Derek Weir or whoever we've got in post refunds me.

No offence to Mandron and Obika but I'd seriously hope Ketts is looking at the market to find guys that offer a bit more long term. As a selling club we really should be trying to secure sellable assets. I mean if you ever want a more recent and demonstateable path, a quick powerpoint presentation of Kev arriving at 29, getting a PPotY nomination and life changing move just shy of his 32 birthday has to peak interest and turn heads of many down south. Stuff that will appeal to a number in league 1, 2 and the national is how our 38 game season isn't as manic, playing in front of 50k-60k 3 to 4 times a season and a higher billing UK wide on Sky Sports. Kev's also knocked up one of our women during his stay.

What is clear is we'll start the summer in our eternal search for a left back. Slattery and Kelly need to be moved on this window if we're going to get back our planned investments. Blaney we've seen so little of. I'd still like to see Butcher in midfield and how solid Casey and Blaney would be in a pairing, maybe if we go up against Dundee United 3 points clear of whoever is behind us it may happen.

With our proliferation of diminutive #10's you'd think one of the 3 required setups/formations I think you need in this league would involve one of them. Wingbacks have been really successful so Ketts will have that in the forefront of his thinking. From what he has said I would expect him to mix up his formation based on who we're playing rather than the dogmatic 4-3-3 of the last few regimes.

He's not really been faced with any performances or results that demanded a wholesale change the following week so our bench lineup is consistent. Dundee United would have been seen as a blip.

When Flao was in post we'd have had a tweet roughly a fortnight from now with the released, retained and those offered contracts. If and when that is released without him around it will be really interesting.

Edited by Kapowzer

It'll be interestign whether we go all out and recruit to play 3-5-2 specifically, or whether we recruit without being set to a rigid formation.

Recruitment of defenders, wing backs and centre mids are all fairly standard regardless of planned formation, but obviously with forwards, we could back ourselves in to a corner with the 3-5-2 and not have wingers in the building.

Not that we've needed them of late under Kettlewell, but I do worry teams will see the colour of our money with 3-5-2 and we end up back playing 4-3-3 with Shields and Spittal out wide like before...

41 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The most Lionel goal that Lionel could ever score there. 

I don't know what's better - the fact that Moult was right in about the @replies or the fact that every second reply used the word "swaz"

10 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Nah, never happened.  We surely would post something on our own twitter or website... 🙄

Weirdly we did an u18s report the other week.

Maybe they thought that us cuffing Aberdeen again isn't news.

Edited by capt_oats

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There's Kevin...

That's good - I'm sure it was made in anticipation of him getting POTY (AS HE FUCKING SHOULD HAVE DONE) - but good nonetheless. It also reminded me that we did the cringey selfie videos for all the new signings - never again.

When I first saw him in that Hibs game it was obvious he could be box office when in the mood and he had a certain air of unpredictability about him. What I would have predicted though is that he would have picked up regular red cards and I'm amazed that he hasn't. For all the daft bookings he's picked up, he seems to know how to just stop short of a second yellow. 

Has it been confirmed if Kevin has gone local with his choice of baby mother? I believe Martinez found his love in Motherwell, has there been a list of imported footballers taking our women away.

’Our women’ being a playful phrase indicating the free thinking and independent life loving females who through choice or birth reside in the various towns and parishes of Lanarkshire.