Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

That’s a complete joke. One of the benefits of the East Stand is being able to go for a pie or wander up the back to briefly watch and wait for a break in play to go to the toilet. The only time I’ve ever had anything spilled on me I was sitting down and the boy behind had partaken in a couple of shandies - I demand we breathalyse and confine such people to the front row to avoid in future. 

Well...

I know we already knew about the Groningen thing what with their guy confirming he'd been over for a chat but interesting to see a number put on the big man's wage.

Chief scout and director Wouter Gudde revealed he has been to Scotland and hope for a deal to be done.

He said at a fans' meeting: "I was recently in Scotland and in an ideal world we will sign two strikers and 10 new players overall."

Link

Get us paid...

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Groningen would seem an excellent move all-round for KVV, would be happy with that.

I'll only be happy if we get a good transfer fee. 10k a week in the Dutch 2nd tier would be a crazy amount to pay where it was a free transfer - but if they need to buy out someone's contract on top of that? They must be rich.

Yeah it'd be nice to see him getting a move back home and hopefully having a decent few years in the Eredivisie rather than disappearing to China or whatever. 

I know Groningen are one of the bigger Dutch teams but that still seems like a massive wage for the Dutch second tier? As much as I love KVV it doesn't seem unthinkable that he could revert back to scoring single figures again, would give me the fear slightly. Not that I'm arsed tbf.

Big wages for KVV are great and all that, but that's not what allows us to wander around the stadium every year knocking random shit down. Get us paid.

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'll only be happy if we get a good transfer fee. 10k a week in the Dutch 2nd tier would be a crazy amount to pay where it was a free transfer - but if they need to buy out someone's contract on top of that? They must be rich.

I'm not sure how accurate a Google search is on this but going by this article when they signed Robben in 2020 their turnover was €20m 

https://northerntimes.nl/arjen-robben-signing-boosts-fc-groningens-finances/

There's a Swiss Ramble thread here from 2020 that puts it at around €20m as well.

For context Hearts turnover for their last accounts was £14.6m, Aberdeen's was £13.8m and Hibs was £11.8m.

ElehA2bW0AAM5IC?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by capt_oats

23 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

A quick Google suggested Groningen - despite seemingly having similar status to us in their league - are on a different level financially, a fee will not be a problem.

Last season they sold players worth combined 20m Euros and paid 3 x transfer fees slightly in excess of 1m Euros. If KVV is their number 1 target as reported above (pinch of salt) then 1m Euros is eminently feasible. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Get us paid...

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'll only be happy if we get a good transfer fee.

40 minutes ago, Al B said:

Get us paid.

34 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

a fee will not be a problem.

I agree. Get us paid.

Good for big Kev, that must be 4-5x what he’s on with us. But more importantly, get us paid. Hopefully any move is done and dusted quickly so we can get on with replacing him/reinvesting the ‘war chest’. 

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye that was kinda my point.

Who knows how it will turn out but it was more about that's where they all come from just about.

Indeed.

And on the rare occasions we sign a headline (relatively speaking) player, when was the last time it worked out really well? 

Arguably Spittal in fact, perhaps Gallagher/Polworth for five months. But it's rare.

Essentially any time a known quantity signs for us, it's because everyone with £500 a week more to spend - who we actually want to compete with - has turned them down.

So while the jobbing pros will job for a year, the success on and off the pitch basically comes down to the hits and misses of the English lower leagues and foreign backwaters.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

Good for big Kev, that must be 4-5x what he’s on with us. But more importantly, get us paid. Hopefully any move is done and dusted quickly so we can get on with replacing him/reinvesting the ‘war chest’. 

I noticed that there was a quote from their guy in a recent article that was basically saying they were wanting to get their players in for the start of their pre-season:

"But the striker position is the most important to us.

"It's important we have many options for our new manager Dick Lukkien, when he starts pre-season on July 1."

Link

It's maybe lost in translation a bit but the RTV article suggests their General Manager actually had talks with him.

"General manager Wouter Gudde recently traveled to Scotland to discuss a possible transfer to Groningen with Van Veen. The goal getter was not unwilling to do so, but it is still too early to say whether FC Groningen will manage to attract Van Veen as a replacement for Pepi."

Link

Big fan of him being described as a doelpuntenmachine.

Tbh, I'd imagine that as long as we're not digging our heels in asking for daft money (see Scunthorpe apparently wanting £8m for him when a Chinese club was rumoured to be after him) then it'll get done. I'd say that £10k p/w would qualify as "life-changing" money for a 32 year old who's spent his time bouncing around the lower leagues in England.

Either way, get us paid.

Edited by capt_oats