Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'll be back in 6 months to link him again, don't you worry!

Very relieved he won't be playing against us next season and it looks like the Liam Donnelly to us stuff was nonsense too!

Been a good day so far.

:lol:

He joins McGhee and Danny Mullen in the growing list of players that Dundee fans on TDBF have had us definitely signing. 

Can't wait to find out who it'll be next summer.

Fwiw, as I said at the time, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Hammell had a chat with him about a PCA and that's where the rumour came from.

Edited by capt_oats

53 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Scott Burns tweeted the following on Twitter in a response to a query about Motherwell signings:

“Hit the post on a couple. Striker a priority.  Need to get fringe players out to free up budget.  Money is tight.”

Apparently we are having to spend money on the pitch again due to mistakes made last summer as well. Not ideal 

1 hour ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Scott Burns tweeted the following on Twitter in a response to a query about Motherwell signings:

“Hit the post on a couple. Striker a priority.  Need to get fringe players out to free up budget.  Money is tight.”

It’s very much expected but it’s also highly disconcerting.

The squad is not good enough, let’s not sugar coat it. It’s a bottom 2 or 3 squad as it stands. Very little quality, hardly any pace and relying on Shields/Obika/Efford for the goals is going to be dangerous. 

The stuff with the pitch however that’s frustrating. Last year really was an utter clusterfuck from start to finish. 

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

What the f**k :lol:

How?! 

This should provide more context

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/covanburn-contracts-ltd_progress-update-were-making-good-progress-activity-7076853868910800896-Z_qV?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

Basically the front of the east stand was a health and safety tightrope for both fans and players

1 minute ago, Handsome John said:

This should provide more context

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/covanburn-contracts-ltd_progress-update-were-making-good-progress-activity-7076853868910800896-Z_qV?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

Basically the front of the east stand was a health and safety tightrope for both fans and players

Ah. We already knew about that like. It's not the *actual* pitch.

The club Twitter posted about the work a couple of weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Handsome John said:

Think it’s still a six figure job to get it done. Having seen the exit steps to the front of the stand, I wouldn’t have fancied exiting that way in an emergency. 

Absolutely.

I was more meaning that it wasn't really an issue with the pitch in the way that was kind of implied in the post @thisGRAEME was replying to. The way I'd read it was that there had been some sort of f**k up in installation that we were having to fix.

Yeah it's stuff that was part of the job last year but they ran out of time, so they made it useable for the season with the intention of finishing it this year.

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

It’s very much expected but it’s also highly disconcerting.

The squad is not good enough, let’s not sugar coat it. It’s a bottom 2 or 3 squad as it stands. Very little quality, hardly any pace and relying on Shields/Obika/Efford for the goals is going to be dangerous. 

The stuff with the pitch however that’s frustrating. Last year really was an utter clusterfuck from start to finish. 

The above is where I am at !  Although a clusterfuck would probably have also included relegation.  How we finished skews our view or certainly mine a little. 

Not entirely earth shattering that we need to move a few on.  Even Stevie Wonder can see that. The problem is that the players we need to move on are not good enough for Motherwell.  Which means any club that is prepared to take them will most probably be lower leagues and therefore lower wages.

So unless the player in question values playing time over money in the bank then we are in a right pickle. In a cost of living crisis with high mortgage rates I suspect we will see less movement than we would like. 

I think we have approx. 16 players that were on loan / out of contract or have left the club.  We have brought two BACK in.  Even allowing for the fact we were overloaded after January that is quite the difference.  Plus we have lost 5 starters. Throw Butcher into the mix for the start of the season and that is more than half a team ! 

2 hours ago, Desp said:

I'm not sure this fella understands how a trial works. 

Screenshot_20230625_151805_Twitter.jpg

This is triggering 🙂I'm experimenting with being off twitter completely forever. I usually get back on for the transfer season, but blocking half our support every time I rejoined was getting tedious.

I'm sure we have other targets in mind other than the junior guy, but the outrage if we sign this guy first will be something else.

As far as having to let players go, that's just common sense. We have quite a few fringe guys that don't really fit in anymore. The good thing is that we're hardly paying massive wages, so most who do move on won't be taking a huge pay cut. I don't think they are dead weight though, so I'd be reluctant to just pay them off, but i could see us working with them to find a club and won't stand in their way. 

Edited by rowsdower

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

This is triggering 🙂I'm experimenting with being off twitter completely forever. I usually get back on for the transfer season, but blocking half our support every time I rejoined was getting tedious.

I'm sure we have other targets in mind other than the junior guy, but the outrage if we sign this guy first will be something else.

Bit harsh, isn't it not?

5 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

For what it’s worth, the name I got last week was Conor Wilkinson. 

No idea if it was actually true, still ongoing or if it fell through. However after doing a bit of research, I can certainly see why his name would pop up in our search for a Van Veen replacement…

Edited by Casagolda

21 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I think we have approx. 16 players that were on loan / out of contract or have left the club.  We have brought two BACK in.  Even allowing for the fact we were overloaded after January that is quite the difference.  Plus we have lost 5 starters. Throw Butcher into the mix for the start of the season and that is more than half a team ! 

There's a squad list thread but it's not pinned so it's slipped to page 2.

In total we've seen 5 players come back in and, by my count, 17 players who are either confirmed as having left, have been sold or are currently TBC.

We currently have a first team squad of 22 and even allowing for the clutch of injuries it's pretty clear that there needs to be some sort of trimming given we're 4 starters down from last season (Johnston, Furlong, Goss, KVV) and we need to recruit.

The plus point for me is that unlike some of the Robinson re-builds it feels like we're in a position where we're *only* looking to replace those 4 players who raised the level of the rest of the squad. (Easier said than done and all that).

As others have mentioned there are a pile of clubs in a similar position and there's been very little movement around the league apart from the likes of Dundee who, in fairness, only had 3 players contracted until recently.

The other thing that stands out to me is that of our peer group clubs there are precisely zero who have made any signings that I've looked at and thought "f**k, they'd have been a good fit for us".

Anyway, here's a big dull, boring list:

Returning players from loan:

• Barry Maguire (Dundee)
  • Connor Shields (Queens Park)
  • Robbie Mahon (Dunfermline)

Re-signed players:

• Jon Obika
  • Harry Paton

Loans expired:

• Stuart McKinstry
  • James Furlong
  • Oli Crankshaw

Out

• Kevin Van Veen (to FC Groningen)
  • Dean Cornelius (to Harrogate Town)

TBC OOC players:

• Max Johnston
  • Dan Casey
  • Sean Goss
  • Mikael Mandron

Confirmed as left:

• Jake Carroll
  • Logan Dunachie (signed for Clyde)
  • Daniel Hunter
  • Kian Spiers
  • Jack Aitchison
  • David Devine (signed for Alloa)
  • Corey O'Donnell (signed for Broomhill)

Released:

• Josh Morris

Current first team squad:

Goalkeepers:
1. Liam Kelly (27) - 2024
13. Aston Oxborough (25) - 2024
31. Matty Connelly (20) - 2024

Defenders:
2. Stephen O'Donnell (31) - 2024
4. Ricki Lamie (29) - 2024
5. Bevis Mugabi (28) - 2024
16. Paul McGinn (32) - 2024
19. Nathan McGinley (26) - 2024
20. Shane Blaney (24) - 2025
23. Ewan Wilson (18) - 2024
25. Sam Campbell (18) - 2024
66. Calum Butcher (32) - 2024

Midfielders:
6. Barry Maguire (25) - 2024
7. Blair Spittal (27) - 2024
8. Callum Slattery (24) - 2024
12. Harry Paton (25) - 2025
26. Ross Tierney (22) - 2025
38. Lennon Miller (16) - 2025

Forwards:
9. Jon Obika (32) - 2024 + 1 year option
11. Joe Efford (26) - 2024
14. Riku Danzaki (23) - 2025
29. Connor Shields (25) - 2024

2 hours ago, Al B said:

Yeah it's stuff that was part of the job last year but they ran out of time, so they made it useable for the season with the intention of finishing it this year.

I’ve zero way of backing it up and no idea if it’s actually true or not, so take with a massive pinch of salt but I heard that was the pr line being pushed. However, what was actually the case was that there were mistakes made and then signed off on and money needed spent to rectify it.

Either way, I suppose now it’s not really important, but it’s clear it’s costing a pretty penny. 

16 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Bit harsh, isn't it not?

Nah, I just mute "announce" and "moult", then block anyone who posts "this is not a signing" under a club tweet. It's not personal, it's just half our twitter fans are dicks. It's fine if they think I'm a dick too, I can give them that.

Looking at that squad list, next summer is going to be frantic, unless we dish out some extensions.