Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

42 minutes ago, ropy said:

Get him out on loan to the Championship, 20 games then bring him back stronger to see our season out.  Tried and tested method.

We’ll only do that the season he’s out of contract and he’ll no doubt be dynamite for 6 months.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Just clocked this thumbnail there, it's mad how your mind can play tricks on you sometimes! Even though it was very very recently, there's absolutely no chance I'd have thought Donnelly and Tierney's time at Fir Park overlapped.

9 hours ago, tolka said:

What makes you say this? Has he struggled with injuries? Hadn't heard that at all.

We've consciously tried to keep anything injury related but he didn't feature much under Kettlewell at all and it turns out he'd picked up a groin injury and then had a set back with his recovery.

This was mid-April so who knows how long he'd been carrying it/it had been an issue:

On 19/04/2023 at 19:19, capt_oats said:

I'm pretty sure that Ketts clarified in one of his press conferences that he'd been injured recently and is only just coming back to kicking a baw. I mean, that would explain it...

Same with Tierney, apparently he had a set back with his recovery.

Here we go...18 min 15 seconds.

Ross Tierney (Groin)
Riku Danzaki (Ankle)

Raith Rovers in Hammell's car crash of a final game on 11th February was the last time he completed a 90 for us.

Screenshot2023-07-13at23_22_21.thumb.png.92c48a9f644b58512dbbbd01336ab468.png

In total he managed 964 mins for us last season compared with 1,159 in 21/22 after he signed in the January window.

It's obviously not helped that we've had 3 different managers who have adopted 3 different styles in that time either.

Screenshot2023-07-13at23_25_25.thumb.png.2140d18c7980582e7528280ec9ee67c9.png

Screenshot2023-07-13at23_25_07.thumb.png.11c025b20b878fc1b44f947f66efcd27.png

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, tolka said:

What makes you say this? Has he struggled with injuries? Hadn't heard that at all.

Fair enough that's just an educated guess from the outside but you can see the stats from @capt_oats already.

Re the physical aspect in general, I've never understood why when people wonder whether players are physically up to it there are chortled comments about others being under 6 foot tall as if height is the only consideration.

In any sport requiring talent and physical attributes combined, you can usually get away with less of the latter if you're through the roof on the former.

But otherwise you will almost certainly have to bring some combination of height, speed, stamina, acceleration, balance, agility, strength, durability, Dougie Arnott's patented low centre of gravity etc to the party if you're going to make it.

From all we've heard from Alexander re Tierney needing time to adjust, the evidence seen in games and his time outside the squad, concern - not writing him off, just concern! - about whether he can hack it as a top-flight pro seems one of the least controversial takes out there for me.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

With regards to the physicality though, I rarely watch him and think that he is struggling with it? He was excellent against Inverness in the cup earlier on the season. I think he uses his size very well. Certainly a lot better than Shields does, who's built like the side of a house.

He is criminally under used IMO.

42 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

With regards to the physicality though, I rarely watch him and think that he is struggling with it? He was excellent against Inverness in the cup earlier on the season. I think he uses his size very well. Certainly a lot better than Shields does, who's built like the side of a house.

He is criminally under used IMO.

No issue with size or physicality. Disagree with the general point.

Inverness were poor, really poor & all it took was energy. We decided to stick with that against teams a yard quicker in pace and thought.

Just feel he’s a little one dimensional, turning defenders in our league is the easy part - for a ‘10’ doesn’t go beyond the striker often enough nor play the telling pass when finding the pockets of space he picks up.

Edited by Onthefringes

25 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

No issue with size or physicality. Disagree with the general point.

Inverness were poor, really poor & all it took was energy. We decided to stick with that against teams a yard quicker in pace and thought.

Just feel he’s a little one dimensional, turning defenders in our league is the easy part - for a ‘10’ doesn’t go beyond the striker often enough nor play the telling pass when finding the pockets of space he picks up.

Totally agree on the point re Inverness.

On the second point, In terms of going beyond the striker, I think Tierney does pick up some good positions at times, but he could certainly do with some fine tuning in that aspect.  Is playing that telling pass something that comes with game time and match sharpness, thinking a few seconds quicker than you would playing every week over 10 minutes here and there.

On 06/07/2023 at 18:46, YassinMoutaouakil said:

If we were starting from scratch Casey would maybe be the first name on my team sheet but I can understand not pushing the boat out for him in the circumstances. 

Assuming we stick to a back 3- we know McGinn is basically fine for the time being, Butcher will be out for a while and might still be considered a midfielder but could slot in too. Blaney is still a bit of an unknown but seems highly thought of. Mugabe and Lamie are shaky but aren't so completely horrendous that they can't play a role as backups or (one of them) as part of a 3 with two better defenders.

I'm not exactly shouting from the rooftops about our centre-back options but if money is as tight as it is then I'd rather it went towards left backs and midfielders rather than augmenting an area we're already heavy in.

Can I just shock you- I'm glad we're re-signing Dan Casey.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

27 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

A lot of chat about Casey/Butcher/Blaney going forward but that was never our defence last season.  Be more likely Butcher steps out than McGinn I'd think if we're sticking to the three, no?  

IMO it was Butcher who made the back 3 work so I'd be surprised if that was the case. I don't think you can just overlook the fact that he was really fucking good in that role and shift him out.

I mean, it's academic just now given he's injured but I don't think we'd have the same balance in there without him.

McGinn being able to cover both RCB and RWB means that there's probably more scope for him to be flexible than the others.

Edited by capt_oats

As it stands just now (going on the basis the Casey thing is true), I'm fairly sure we'd be looking at Casey/Butcher/Blaney, with McGinn RWB and SODs on the left. It's pretty much a given (I hope) that we've got a 24hr team of minions scouring the globe for a LWB though.

That's not a slight at all on McGinn, I think he's been really good but I also like Blaney and that's the way to get both of them on the park whilst solving the RWB issue. SODs wouldn't be a great option as a true left-back but as a LWB I'd be happy enough with it in the meantime.

Edited by Al B