Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Thankfully he has signed an extension. Maybe we have learned from the Johnstone Saga.

Also, the amount of people who didn't even bother reading the article.

Has he though? I know it says he's signed a "fresh deal" in the body of the article but I just took it to be the same contract we'd previously announced last month.

His player profile still has him OOC at the end of this season, which is the same as it was when the club announced the trio of deals for him, Wilson and Connelly (the inconsistency on that was mentioned by @eliphas  back on page 2571).

I mean, it feels like nit-picking in the grand scheme of things but it's another example of the unnecessarily vague comms we're getting from the club.

Firstly we announced that he'd signed a "short term deal" while publishing that his contract ends May 24. Now we've got him loaned out and there's mention of him "Signing a fresh deal at Motherwell this summer" with his contract expiry still published as May 2024.

Like, which is it?

It's been mentioned a few times over the summer but it really feels like whoever is writing copy for the club at the moment is tying themselves in knots when they really don't have to.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Has he though? I know it says he's signed a "fresh deal" in the body of the article but I just took it to be the same contract we'd previously announced last month.

His player profile still has him OOC at the end of this season, which is the same as it was when the club announced the trio of deals for him, Wilson and Connelly (the inconsistency on that was mentioned by @eliphas  back on page 2571).

I mean, it feels like nit-picking in the grand scheme of things but it's another example of the unnecessarily vague comms we're getting from the club.

Firstly we announced that he'd signed a "short term deal" while publishing that his contract ends May 24. Now we've got him loaned out and there's mention of him "Signing a fresh deal at Motherwell this summer" with his contract expiry still published as May 2024.

Like, which is it?

It's been mentioned a few times over the summer but it really feels like whoever is writing copy for the club at the moment is tying themselves in knots when they really don't have to.

I was pretty sure his deal was originally up in 2024 so any fresh deal would extend that atleast beyond that. 

It could be that it's just not been updated yet since they only announced this new contract along side the loan deal.

13 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I was pretty sure his deal was originally up in 2024 so any fresh deal would extend that atleast beyond that. 

It could be that it's just not been updated yet since they only announced this new contract along side the loan deal.

I checked that wayback machine website and he was listed as contracted to May 2023 back in January. 

image.thumb.png.161ceaecdd5a7830116d45a0e5f3914e.png

Saw the new home strip today, some fella out and about sporting it.

As a 49 year old, who's not even worn a football top in over 15 years  I appreciate this bothers me more than it should...and I'm beginning to sound like a broken record

But that sponsor is absolutely fucking ridiculous...the size of the "G4" font in particular.

These two are probably my least favourite strips in recent times.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I don't care for sashes on strips because I always think it makes it look like players are playing on a slope, or falling over.

Beyond that, grow up. 

Maybe compensating for us levelling off our slope? 

Fwiw I've always been a fan of the diagonal stripe on strips ( unfortunately we live in a backwater where the mere mention of the s word will invoke much frothing from the mouth breathers who live amongst us). I do think it looks much better with a claret stripe on an amber top however , in fact that was usually my go to custom design on pro Evo back in the day along with claret shorts and hooped ( big team found etc etc yawn ) c&a socks.  

27 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Maybe compensating for us levelling off our slope? 

Fwiw I've always been a fan of the diagonal stripe on strips ( unfortunately we live in a backwater where the mere mention of the s word will invoke much frothing from the mouth breathers who live amongst us). I do think it looks much better with a claret stripe on an amber top however , in fact that was usually my go to custom design on pro Evo back in the day along with claret shorts and hooped ( big team found etc etc yawn ) c&a socks.  

Aye, also we only really potentially need an away kit against one club, so I'm not sure why that's the predominant colour on it. 

Last year's straight up and down stripe was cool. Do that over a sash, imo. 

7 minutes ago, Desp said:

I wouldn't go as far as bold, tbf. If we can't beat Elgin with two or three youngsters chucked in, then it'll be a very long season!

True.

That said, compared to say the line ups we put out in the 19/20 Group which was essentially close to a first XI (eg: Gillespie; Donnelly, Hartley, Dunne; Grimshaw, Semple, Polworth, Carroll; Ilic, Long, Seedorf vs Annan) it feels like a bit of a statement.

Edited by capt_oats

If we can't "risk" playing some young boys in games like this, then we should forget it. I would certainly be giving Miller the 4 group games as a starter to see where he's at and if the other boys can be viable squad players this season, it could save us money or allow us to concentrate our budget on "quality"

Like Lennon Miller, Luca Ross is also very highly rated by the club and was given a long term contract at the same time as Miller.

As has been discussed at length on here this summer in the aftermath of Johnston’s departure, if we want to keep these boys around they need to be getting in and about the first team a lot sooner than 18/19. As @Desp says, if we can’t risk giving them some minutes here then when can you? 

As for Wilson, with the Furlong deal taking longer than expected it’s either him or McGinley. Fair play to Kettlewell for giving the boy a chance to show what he can do. 

Outside those 3 it’s still a very experienced side and there’s no excuses for not getting off to a winning start. 

Edited by Casagolda