Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

46 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Benefit of the doubt and all that, but this looks like a pretty poor singing, even just for backup. He's 33 and hardly played

Tbf, see above.

Up to the point of that car crash in 2016 he was playing in Ligue 1 and the Premier League.

Screenshot2023-07-17at19_27_31.thumb.png.401e10da6a826a03828e4fd54a0a8d2c.png

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

There's no chance that "pay as you play" deals actually exist is there?

It's like folk wanting "bidding wars" for players. Doesny happen, does it?

It’s like proposed swap deals and the Old Firm both being linked with the same player. Load of nonsense. 

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Prepared to be proven wrong here but the King Louie (sic) tweet would be a bit of a weird reference if the player (assuming it's Moult) was signing for a club other than Motherwell eh?

Oh...as you were.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Oh...as you were.

Got to say, quite pleased that we didn't try to bring him back again. Judging by his comments previously I don't think Kettlewell was ever entertaining it. 

Louis was outstanding for us in his first spell and he'll always be a hero for that. But seeing him last season, it was clear he wasn't over his injuries, was sad to see. All the best to him, seems like a proper nice guy too, but I think the club have made the right call in not pursuing him again after the transfer mistakes of last season. From a football emotion perspective, at least he's not playing for a team we're facing in the league. 

8 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Against all my sensibilities I had a look at the twitter responses to the announcement of Soares 🫣

I hadn't looked but I'm immediately won over by this...

(Genuinely, assuming they're not at it, he seems to be well liked by Palace fans)

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, eliphas said:

Can't see much of a future for McGinley with this signing. Which is fine. 

Yep. I would not be at all surprised if McGinley goes out on loan to get his fitness back. There’s no way he is going to slot back in as a starter after such a long lay-off. Even when  he was fully fit he wasn’t that great to be honest, always had a clownshoe mistake in him. I think Wilson is in front of him ATM .

If we had signed the Pape guy on a one year deal I would say the Furlong loan is dead. The fact that it’s only 6 months suggests to me we are covering our bets and maybe hoping to get Furlong nearer the end of the window due to the loan rules. Pape with Wilson for cover should in theory work for now.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

There's no chance that "pay as you play" deals actually exist is there?

It's like folk wanting "bidding wars" for players. Doesny happen, does it?

Not a fucking hope in hell. Stuff of pure fantasy

I’ll be pretty sickened if Moult ends up at Utd. I appreciate I have an irrational love of the guy but It’s worth the risk.  We’ve just signed an injury prone left back who’s played for Crystal Palace on a 6 month deal so why not Moult? Ye pretty much the same scenario. 

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not a fucking hope in hell. Stuff of pure fantasy

I think you might be slightly surprised but I guess it comes down to wording. I remember Stuart McCall talking about Craig Reid earning practically nothing outside an appearance fee. That would for all intents and purpose be a ‘pay as you play’ deal. A very small basic wage (relatively speaking) and incentives based on appearance and performance to top it up.

Souare is quite an interesting one. If we signed a centre-back that had (technically) won Ligue 1, been around a Premier League squad for years and was a Senegal international then you'd think their legs had maybe gone but they'd still be very good for our level. I assume Souare will be technically decent but it doesn't feel like you see many 33 year-old wingbacks, which might explain why he's fell down the leagues fairly rapidly. 

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Souare is quite an interesting one. If we signed a centre-back that had (technically) won Ligue 1, been around a Premier League squad for years and was a Senegal international then you'd think their legs had maybe gone but they'd still be very good for our level. I assume Souare will be technically decent but it doesn't feel like you see many 33 year-old wingbacks, which might explain why he's fell down the leagues fairly rapidly. 

What is telling for me is that he was released from Morecambe. Now they were relegated to League two and a quick google search mentions financial problems. So is it because they could not afford him or more likely they were clearing the squad that helped them get relegated ! 

One of the other players released was of course a certain Jon Obika. I wonder if he had a word with Kettlewell about Pape knowing we were after LB cover. 

I hope he becomes a cult figure because he turns out be a good signing but he has fallen quite far since his Crystal Palace days. Sure the bad car crash would not have helped. As his career did seem to go into reverse soon after that. Here is hoping he can fit in and find some of the form that made him a top player many years ago 🤞

Edited by welldaft

Having a quick Google search I see that Souaré was only at Morecambe on a short term deal. So it's not like those 7 appearances were over the course of a season for them.

He signed for them on 17th March at which point they were already 3rd bottom of the league - 22nd of 24.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2023/march/souare-joins-the-shrimps-for-remainder-of-campaign/

He featured in 7 of their remaining 9 games and seems to have picked up a knock in the 3-2 win against Charlton so I guess his release after their relegation was confirmed was fairly straightforward especially given the well documented financial issues.

Screenshot2023-07-17at21_44_27.thumb.png.95421919fa5241a86350addfd04a5e81.png

Taking a look at the Morecambe forum it seems like there are a couple of comments along the lines that from a supporters POV he's one that would have been worth keeping hold of but there was a general feeling that he wouldn't fancy sticking around to play in League 2.

http://www.shrimpsvoices.co.uk/search.php?keywords=souare&sid=b1b577018015c6960c9d7985e22e71eb

Edited by capt_oats

Ach, it’s a pretty low risk signing all told. 

To me it looks like a bit of an insurance option if we can’t get Furlong back - not sure if running with Wilson as our first choice was ever a real consideration and regardless of your opinion of McGinley, to come back after so long out and expect him to play every week is a big ask.