Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Actually quite happy about that.

No longer anyone to reply the whole 'irons in the fire keep the faith', 'missed out on one working hard', 'depends what other clubs do', 'we can still do business after the window shuts' etc. etc to the same moon units who ask every year. 

In fact some could create an AI bot to do the job probably.

The first fan owned and AI run club. I'm all for it.

I think Lamie, McGinley, Maguire and possibly Efford could be the ones still to leave / be loaned out.

That would leave room for a RWB, Midfielder and Forward.

4 out 3 in and I think we might start to look in decent shape.

Wouldnt be against keeping Efford as he does have pace and was looking better last season until his injury. Not sure SK agrees though.

Sending Maguire for a trip to Tranent and stripping Lamie of the Vice (unless Vice Captain is a bit of an Assistant to the Regional Manager position and they don't actually have a graphic for it) seems like another (un)subtle message....

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

Sending Maguire for a trip to Tranent and stripping Lamie of the Vice (unless Vice Captain is a bit of an Assistant to the Regional Manager position and they don't actually have a graphic for it) seems like another (un) subtle message....

Correct me if I'm wrong but did SOD and Carl McHugh not have the captaincy taken from them and continue to play for us. Not saying you're wrong but I wouldn't be taking it as a certainty 

Edited by camer0n_mcd
Spelling

31 minutes ago, Swello said:

Sending Maguire for a trip to Tranent and stripping Lamie of the Vice (unless Vice Captain is a bit of an Assistant to the Regional Manager position and they don't actually have a graphic for it) seems like another (un)subtle message....

Definitely a graphic for it, it's went to McGinn.

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think Lamie, McGinley, Maguire and possibly Efford could be the ones still to leave / be loaned out.

Wouldnt be against keeping Efford as he does have pace and was looking better last season until his injury. Not sure SK agrees though.

Re Efford, agreed. Or if he is to leave, we need to replace with some pace. Not sure about Mika, but no other real pace in the team? Even with limited ability, pace causes problems for other teams in the league. 

8 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but did SOD and Carl McHugh not have the captaincy taken from them and continue to play for us. Not saying you're wrong but I wouldn't be taking it as a certainty 

You’re not wrong but the circumstances were slightly different in so much as McHugh voluntarily handed the captaincy over and the story goes that SOD was on his road out the club after the fall out with Alexander (hence the McGinn signing) then Sligo happened and GA was launched instead.

The messaging in this case seems to be a pretty (un)subtle hint that - at the very least - Lamie’s not going to be a first pick. I mean, it’s been increasingly obvious given the amount of game time Blaney has been getting in his place but regardless of the fact McGinn is probably better suited to the role anyway, replacing Lamie as VC seems like it’s putting a definite accent on things.

What the Bathgate Maldini chooses to do with this information is a different story but if you recall, his nose was put out of joint that Alexander brought in Sol and Ojala as he felt he should have been getting more game time. He was on record as saying that was part of his decision to sign the PCA with Dundee (along with the daft wages they were chucking at him).

Fwiw, here he is talking about he PCA, there's nothing wrong with what he's saying - it's not a toys out the pram sort of situation but it's clear he felt he should be playing regularly:

“The gaffer’s been brilliant with me ever since I signed the pre-contract. We speak regularly and that won’t change. Motherwell have been great with me and, as a player, I just want to keep playing regularly. Then I’ll have stuff to decide.

Asked what persuaded him to sign a pre-contract with the Dark Blues in the first place, Lamie, who has made 20 league appearances for the Steelmen, added: “James McPake was really keen to get me on board.

“He’d spoken to me earlier, when I left Livingston but before I joined Motherwell so I knew he really wanted me.

“On top of that, I’d started this season really well and then we brought in a few other players who play in my position.

“Now, though, I’ve fought my way back into the starting XI and I’m a mainstay again and the manager’s told me it’ll stay that way as long as I’m working hard.”

Link

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

How does getting rid of 2 left sided defenders leave room for a RWB when we will still have 3 players on the books that have played that position THIS season 🤔

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This is time for the Joey Efford arc of redemption. We'll sell him to the MLS for £500k in 18 months

I thought he was coming on to a game right before he had his (what turned out to be) season ending injury. As a result I was always quite keen to see what he was capable of if he got a sustained run in the team and / or steered clear of injury. The latter appears to be the bigger problem. 

Having a peak at his wiki page shows that he has played circa 120 games since 2014 season. He is 26 now.  His most prolific speak came in Greece where he averaged 20 games a season and apparently was tipped to join Panathinaikos at one point ! 

Anyways I find it strange there has been little mention of him by Ketts prior to this weekend. If he is not in the squad tomorrow I would find that a little suspicious. 

7 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Have we signed Harry Milne yet?

He signed a new deal until 2025 only last week.

Edit- really enjoyed all the Mika patter in here last night.

Edited by Smurph

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Have we signed Harry Milne yet?

Good, good player. Think he has just signed an extension on his Partick deal though, sadly.

A dream scenario would be getting him and a wee loan for Furlong towards the end of the window. Would leave me a very satisfied well fan. 

18 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

wee loan for Furlong towards the end of the window

One of the reasons given that we couldn't get Furlong back is that apparently some rules have changed and EPL clubs can only loan 4 players "internationally". If that's the case - it seems weird that Arsenal would use up one of their 4 by sending Mika to us (unless they really see him as future first team material).

37 minutes ago, DeadStar said:

If we're doing this then Lewis Strapp is still without a club. The thread can make it happen.

All for this. Strapp always looked decent anytime I’ve seen him play and he’s got a good long throw on him if I recall

13 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

It'll be a situation like Sibbald at Falkirk where the compensation that would be due to Morton will be putting anyone off signing him

He's already 23, turns 24 in November.

The compensation rules only apply up to the season of a player's 23rd birthday.

Tbh, I know next to nothing about Strapp but, hilarious patter when he's subbed on aside. He kind of feels like one of those players who have picked up a reputation of being alright in the Championship and there's been a word of mouth thing amongst fans of other clubs as a result.

Connor Shields vibes in that respect.

I mentioned it yesterday but I wouldn't be surprised if any wingbacks we might be looking at were Furlong style re-gens from the EPL academies. We've got two experienced internationals in the position currently so it'd be a sensible pitch to make if we were to lean into that from a development POV.

Edited by capt_oats