Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Decent interview with “good honest professional” Stephen O’Donnell in the Herald today. Pretty diplomatic about his relationship with Alexander all things considered 

Click

Aye, I read that earlier and I noticed that he says he signed a 3 year contract under Alexander.

Screenshot2023-08-19at10_22_57.thumb.png.a19c46b8538945f8a249a2ce82d8faaa.png

Again, similar to McGinn, that's not what was reported at the time:

Screenshot2023-08-19at10_23_53.thumb.png.2ab70fe5bc956857c579503365d0498c.png

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/04/13/stephen-odonnell-signs-new-deal/

When he signed that deal in 2021 we had both Alan Burrows and Grant Russell in the building. So there's no excuses for getting it wrong really. It would have been picked up I'm sure. 

I get the feeling we were reporting  guaranteed contract lengths and not any extra years/options etc. SOD signs for 2 years + another year if he hits 30 games or something. There's even clauses for extending contracts if people are injured a certain amount of time nowadays.

Going back a wee bit before that. We announced Declan Gallagher on a 2 year deal but it was only known he had a clause in there that a 3rd year was triggered once he got to a certain amount of games quite late on into his second gear once he chucked the toys our the pram.

Edited by eliphas

On 13/08/2023 at 18:37, ropy said:

I didn’t really notice Davor when he came on, but presumably we need to give Miller a rest at some point or can we just fire a 16 year old into a 45 game season?

Today’s the day 

23 minutes ago, ropy said:

Today’s the day 

Mixed response in my group chat...Mist agree, I'd have played him today and rested next week.

I appreciate chance if glory in the cup tiny but don't see why we're reducing it by fucking around.

Assuming he's not injured yada yada.

19 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

I think beep test Barry is the sort of player who has the physicality and enough about him to do well enough down there, and there's decent  money to be made even at National League level. He'd be fine in the Championship up here, but just lacking in the top league. Seems a good pro and decent lad so good luck to him.

His replacement still not here yet? Come on tae fcuk 'Well, that's been a couple of hrs now ffs.

He was pretty below average for us in the Championship.

Just offers a whole lot of nothing and meh-ness.

Having done so well for so long by keeping it simple, a 50-50 cup tie is a hell of a time for SK to decide to start needlessly fucking around.

He's obviously got credit in the bank but this one is a major black mark.

Losing in the cup is one thing - nearly inevitable clearly - but doing so having half sabotaged ourselves is a right bugger.

22 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Is Souaré injured? Is it true Biereth is only allowed to play a certain amount of minutes due to an injury? Paton injured, Obika injured. Are we only signing crocks? 

Except Moult, who as it stands is still currently fit! 😂 

Said above, his time was limited until last week and SK said we're clear of that now.

One of the most frustrating 90 mins i’ve sat through in my 25 years watching us. Wilkinson and Bair does not work it’s clear as fuckin day. New guy in midfield was a lost wee boy he shouldn’t have came out the tunnel for the second half. I don’t even have the words tae accurately describe how fuckin awful Mugabi is. 

Edited by D-Fens Foster

Well fair to say wee Davor is not for this level. Couldn't get on the ball despite having acres of space and when he did get it his passing was either backwards or careless. Can't have a guy who iis just a deep lying midfielder in a 3-5-2  You already have the extra centre half for cover in the middle.

Kettlewell playing McGinn at left wingback was stupid. He never really got up the park and he can't pass it forward. He would have been better sticking the young boy Wilson into the team than shoehorning McGinn in there. Also took away some of the threat McGinn has of carrying the ball out of the back 3.

Wilkinson is still not for me.

Also switching to a 4-3-3 was stupid. Ferry is not ready for this level. He wasn't even good in the group stages against lesser opponents. And all switching formation did was isolate Biereth in the middle.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

Davor plays his first game, away to St Mirren in a frenetic cup tie, and we're just deciding he's pish? How long does it realistically take someone from another country to get up to the speed of our game? More than one half surely?

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Davor plays his first game, away to St Mirren in a frenetic cup tie, and we're just deciding he's pish? How long does it realistically take someone from another country to get up to the speed of our game? More than one half surely?

He is defensive midfielder who doesn't want to go much fiurther foward than the centre circle. It isn't going to work in our 3-5-2

SK’s success was built on maintaining a settled side.  That is why various players weren’t seen after he came in last season.

With our left back injured he should just have slotted in a left back, McGinley, Wilson, Lamie or Blaney.

Bevis has got through the previous games because his teammates have bypassed him but today they tried to make him the playmaker!

I expected Davor in for Miller at some point but not in a game where the entire defence had been reworked.  If the defence is disrupted then keep the midfield stable.

I thought he had the opportunity to reset things at half time but he didn’t take it.

Probably the first time I’ve been disappointed at SK’s decisions.

In saying that it’s 11 guys on a pitch playing football, beat your man and get a shot away. 

Frustrating and disappointing, ultimately. 

We continue to miss Butcher's presence and Johnson's pace. We know fine well that Robinson's 3-5-2 needs quick switches to counter (because teams did it continually to us) and the handful of times we did it were the rare occasions we actually threatened. 

Some pace from wingback and butcher's return and I think we'll be fine, but in the meantime that was shite.

That said, a team that's 'supposed' to be much better than us and we were well in the game. 

Thought Dunne was lucky not to see red.