Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

There's a long list of things that will never happen but the rule about charging the equivalent price to away fans should be based on the price per game of STs. It's yet another way of screwing fans out a few quid.

I cant agree with that.

If away fans got in for £22 there would be Motherwell fans paying more than them at the gate.

Season ticket holders should of course be rewarded for their commitment with a cheaper overall price.

I am for lowering prices overall though and I do think there should be much more consensus on cheap family deals as per St Johnstone.

We should be looking at maximising the overall revenue rather than ticket price in isolation.

I remember a few seasons ago there were reciprocal deals to opposing clubs season ticket holders for reduced prices. I cant remember which clubs were involved, but a figure of £10 is in my head.

That might not be the right pricepoint now, but the idea is worth exploring again. It would raise away attendances and we would make more from catering.

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I cant agree with that.

If away fans got in for £22 there would be Motherwell fans paying more than them at the gate.

And to me that's fine. They see the game and support their club financially.

But the number of Motherwell fans who will buy individual tickets is really low, essentially meaning all today's St M fans are being bumped 4 quid more than 90% of those at the opposite end.

All things being equal i'm sure the majority of clubs of equal standing would agree to this happily enough. However, the not even pretend secret is we all want to screw the OF fans for as much as we can so that'll never happen as a formal rule.

That said, I really don't see why we, St Mirren, Killie etc couldn't agree to do the decent thing among ourselves. We're happy enough to sacrifice money for morals on other issues, I'd be making this one of them.

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

A shame we can’t play with 12, I think the midfield four works but I think we need two up front.  Maybe Shaw could shine up there on his own but Bair needs someone closer to him.  

Bair is doing better than I thought and is actually very respectable for being either fourth or fifth choice pick.

But everyone knew having a solo centre forward with almost zero goal threat would not work out every game and so it was today.

I guess the OF games we just plug away with 3-6-1.

If no one has recovered come October though, it's time to choose between resting Miller or telling Paton some tough news because I doubt Shaw on his own is a viable answer either.

51 minutes ago, ropy said:

A shame we can’t play with 12, I think the midfield four works but I think we need two up front.  Maybe Shaw could shine up there on his own but Bair needs someone closer to him.  

Pretty much did play with 12 today with that refereeing performance.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's a strange complaint... the referee giving tonnes of minor fouls against you is a huge part of Robinson's strategy. Kettlewell's too ofc if we get the first goal.

The complaint is how easily your players, Lennon especially, feel over. He's some player though.

1 minute ago, Abstract said:

The complaint is how easily your players, Lennon especially, feel over. He's some player though.

But 1) everyone does that these days, it's just how the game is played, and 2) St Mirren want him to fall over because you're happy to break up the game, defend set pieces and break if possible.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Can't win them all I suppose 🤷‍♂️. On to breaking the Ibrox hoodoo on Sunday 

Our wins v Killie, Hibs and Hearts were all close affairs. We maybe did deserve to win them narrowly but not by much. So hardly surprising we would come unstuck eventually. If anything and most typically it was probably when we played better and dominated the game more than in the others. That is football for you. 

One wonders how we would have fared with Biereth up front. Bair is a presence but as much as he has a nice touch he is not nearly as threatening as he should be from set pieces. We must have had 20+ corners / free kicks and I cannot remember him getting that close to any of the crosses. That is pretty poor imho. 

A decent performance and merited at least a draw. Hopefully we can surprise the old firm next couple of games. Wishful thinking maybe….

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Bair is a presence but as much as he has a nice touch he is not nearly as threatening as he should be from set pieces. We must have had 20+ corners / free kicks and I cannot remember him getting that close to any of the crosses. 

We'd be as well not hitting set pieces. Every single one of them hit straight into the keepers hands. 

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

A decent performance and merited at least a draw. Hopefully we can surprise the old firm next couple of games. Wishful thinking maybe….

I've seen more of the OF than usual in the last few weeks and it's blatant neither are close to the levels of last season.

Both will drop more points this season than last without doubt. Whether we're the side with the right form on the right day who knows but it's as good a chance as we've had in years of a win.

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

But we charge our own fans £26 for the Cooper so its not like we are fleecing them.

Not really the point I'm making tbf, Fitba is dear as f**k and it's not something that should be dear as f**k because we charge our own fans the same.

4 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

We'd be as well not hitting set pieces. Every single one of them hit straight into the keepers hands. 

That's just not true, going deep to Casey produced a half chance for Bair, other scrambles, only an excellent block denied Mugabi.

But aye, we have fair room for improvement.

Today's game? It was fine but we lacked something up top. St Mirren took their (only?) chance.
Bair should be putting his head down and smashing his chance, Spittal had 3 or for attempts at goal. Everyone of them a pass back. Shaw had a similar pass to the goalie at one point too.

I'll have to look back at the goal and see what went on but a lot of folk blame SOD round about me. I didn't think it was his issue as he seemed to be dragged inside but as I said. I'll review later. He's not exactly a strong point though.

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'll have to look back at the goal and see what went on but a lot of folk blame SOD round about me. I didn't think it was his issue as he seemed to be dragged inside but as I said. I'll review later. He's not exactly a strong point though.

I only saw it live - damn kids wanting parenting - but it looked like the sort of goal we challenge teams to score.

Don't commit and let someone cross from a harmless-ish position? Sure. Leave the guy on the crossover free because we cram into the middle, sure.

Which is basically fine because A probably won't find B, and if he does B probably won't nail the connection and even if B nails the connection it's 50-50 he hits it off rather than through Kelly.

The whole defending percentages as we do clearly works by and large... maybe the replay will show a real error but it just looked a damn good goal to me.