Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Would it not be worth putting SOD on the left instead? With the best will in the world, he's probably a 5,6, or 7 out of 10 player most weeks at this point, and from what I can remember he's been as... steady playing there in the past as he is on the right. 

Spencer hasn't been a disaster but you'd think you'd prefer to have the experienced player in the unnatural position rather than the young, raw, attack-minded one.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

In his presser Kelly was talking about how contract talks can wait. For me they should wait. I genuinely think he is a bang average keeper. Certainly this season. His form has dipped no doubt.

The first 2 County goals were well taken shots but I did not think that he did enough in either situation. If we had a keeper that came for crosses in or around the 6 yard box we would have got a draw v Celtic. 

No doubt we will offer him a contract but it should be on half the wages he rumoured to be on right now. If someone is willing to offer him more (which I doubt) then good luck to him. We have been very good over the years at bringing in very good GK. 

I'm not against paying a premium for a goalie in general and Kelly - the devil we know - merits a bit of that for me, though not anything totally mental.

I'm also not convinced he's good enough to get a significant step up but Hibs, with Marshall ageing, may consider him a suitable replacement and that's that.

On the goals, I thought he was blameless on the second. The first was a good shot too but he got a fair bit of hand to it...unless you're Kelly himself or an absolute goalkeeping expert, I think it's impossible to tell for sure if he should have done better or if his effort at getting so close was actually pretty good. I tend to the former but freely admit I'm basically guessing...

The third he obviously saved well but I wonder if coming out, when the guy was under pressure from Gent, would have been better. On the other hand he can reasonably say Gent should have been stronger and in which case going walkies would definitely have thrown in unnecessary risk.

38 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Would it not be worth putting SOD on the left instead? With the best will in the world, he's probably a 5,6, or 7 out of 10 player most weeks at this point, and from what I can remember he's been as... steady playing there in the past as he is on the right. 

Spencer hasn't been a disaster but you'd think you'd prefer to have the experienced player in the unnatural position rather than the young, raw, attack-minded one.

Wouldn't be against that but it's hard to say it's not a bit of a shitshow at not having a left sided LWB worthy of the name given the system we knew we would play and the vacancy looming there for months.

Bit of pressure on Kettlewell now imo. Need a couple of wins from next 4 games, which doubt we’ll get. Aberdeen, Killie away, St Johnstone away, then Hearts. Can’t see it unfortunately.

You can’t go 9/10 games without a win, especially if 7/8 are defeats. A lot hinges on Biereth staying fit, and that’s not a good place to be.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd be ok with this. Me and my pal were in stitches watching our entire team turning themselves inside out to try and get it onto their right foot to cross it.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd be ok with this. Me and my pal were in stitches watching our entire team turning themselves inside out to try and get it onto their right foot to cross it.

55 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Bit of pressure on Kettlewell now imo. Need a couple of wins from next 4 games, which doubt we’ll get. Aberdeen, Killie away, St Johnstone away, then Hearts. Can’t see it unfortunately.

You can’t go 9/10 games without a win, especially if 7/8 are defeats. A lot hinges on Biereth staying fit, and that’s not a good place to be.

I dont know why youre worried about playing us at all, beyond some outdated "McDiarmid is a bogey ground" logic.

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

We had one bad half v Livi and admittedly yesterday we were below average. But that was our 1st full game in 3 weeks. 

If we had to rely on Bair and Shaw I would agree. But I Hope Wilkinson and Biereth will be our 1st pick strikers going forwards. Maybe not both starting midweek, but if they can get match fitness up then they should put Bair and Shaw on the bench where they really belong. 

My concern is that Aberdeen were guff today and unlikely to be that bad again midweek. 

I think we can click again and I would be disappointed if we did not get a couple of wins and a draw in those 4 fixtures. 

1 hour ago, Wellwatcher said:

Bair complaining that he wanted the ball played to his feet rather than high

Yeah that's his problem...too many high balls for an over 6ft lump that can't header. 

Zero ability with the ball at his feet either, so the problems not the type of ball coming to him, it's feckin him.

Some of the knee-jerk reaction takes are absolutely wild 😂. We've had a couple of poor performances (Livi and County) after a run of defeats, against the current top 3, where we were largely in those games and unlucky. 

Any team are our level would struggle without their main striker, we've now got Mika back and he's already making a difference. 

Defending was pretty atrocious for all of the goals we conceded yesterday, but the third was spectacularly bad, not sure i understand what anyone was trying to do, Mugabi caught under the ball, Casey falling over and Gent getting caught wrong side and being flung about. That being said, if I'm correct, we've only lost more than two goals in a game twice under Kettlewell, so it was maybe just one of those days where is all goes a bit wrong at the back. 

A game on paper you'd be looking to get three points from. Still, good character from the team to fight back and get a point. 

Butcher back in on Wednesday please and as many Mika minutes as possible. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I thinks SODs has been largely steady/fine  this season. But for the love of God he can’t play on the left- exhibit A being his first half horror show at home to St Johnstone at the start of February.  Eye bleeding stuff.

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Am I right in saying Bair has a two year deal? If so, I'm assuming Kettlewell saw him as a project signing and wasn't expecting him to be playing as much as this at this stage. Even so, he looks very limited and very much the back-up he was intended to be.

The less said about Shaw the better. 

Aye, two years and SK said pretty much exactly that.

Had things gone to plan, we'd be starting Biereth and Wilkinson with Obika an alternative depending on the game and Bair getting 5-10 minutes some weeks. Fifth pick Ferrie or Ross, Shaw not at the club.

I don't think anyone is convinced that'd be a hall of fame attack but it would be some way better than the current narrative for sure.

SK can't plead bad luck on obika for obvious reasons but he can definitely feel unfortunate the other pair got injured at the same time.

Final judgements before Wilkinson and Biereth get a proper run are unfair.