Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

31 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

While I don't think Gent is a left back by any stretch, it is nuts that we haven't attempted to stick him as a wide player. While we might be hesitant to throw him in as he's a wean you then have to wonder what on earth the point in signing him was. 

It makes you wonder why we didn't just keep Ewan Wilson about and save the staff in the office some admin.

54 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

While I don't think Gent is a left back by any stretch, it is nuts that we haven't attempted to stick him as a wide player. While we might be hesitant to throw him in as he's a wean you then have to wonder what on earth the point in signing him was. 

The mental part of it to me is basically what @Casagolda has alluded to in so much as when we've chucked Gent on as a sub he's broadly had a positive impact yet for reasons genuinely only known to Kettlewell he's flat out refused to give him a run to the point that in his sole pivot away from playing a predominately one footed right back out of position he preferred to launch Blair fucking Spittal (nominally one of our most productive players when used centrally) in at LWB.

It's honestly nuts.

The only vague rationale I have is that he's been trying to keep SOD onside as a senior player after bumping him to the bench in favour of Max Johnston last season.

Considering SK's approach to fixing Hammell's mess was to simplify everything it's been quite the sight watching him tie himself knots on this run.

The further he's gone with this the more chaotic things have become including chucking Wilko into midfield 48 hours after the man himself was telling the press that he's never played there in his life and had no fucking idea what he was doing on Saturday.

Real Charlie Day meme energy...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

The mental part of it to me is basically what @Casagolda has alluded to in so much as when we've chucked Gent on as a sub he's broadly had a positive impact yet for reasons genuinely only known to Kettlewell he's flat out refused to give him a run to the point that in his sole pivot away from playing a predominately one footed right back out of position he preferred to launch Blair fucking Spittal (nominally one of our most productive players when used centrally) in at LWB.

It's honestly nuts.

The only vague rationale I have is that he's been trying to keep SOD onside as a senior player after bumping him to the bench in favour of Max Johnston last season.

Considering SK's approach to fixing Hammell's mess was to simplify everything it's been quite the sight watching him turn himself knots on this run.

The further he's gone with this the more chaotic things have become including chucking Wilko into midfield 48 hours after the man himself was telling the press that he's never played there in his life and had no fucking idea what he was doing.

Real Charlie Day meme energy...

giphy.gif

That bit about Wilkinson was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the team/line up. 

What the actual f**k was he thinking? 

Just watched the highlights from last night and holy f**k. 

Kelly didn't cover himself in glory at any of the goals. At the 2nd it seemed pretty clear where the County player was placing it and, while it was a decent enough hit, it seems mental that Kelly hasn't even moved for it. The less said about him channelling his inner Craig Samson for the 3rd, the better. 

Add me to the ever growing list of folk who are utterly bemused that Gent doesn't get a start. He's our only naturally left sided full back and while he can look a bit suspect defensively, those who have been playing are hardly covering themselves in glory. Gent at least offers something going forward unlike SOD looks borderline geriatric. Putting Gent in from the start can't be any worse than what we've been doing but we're hopefully now at the point where Kettlewell won't even get to try that (not that there's any signs that he would anyway). 

I don't think you even need to be that good defensively when you've got three centre backs behind you. Surely, if a winger roasts him, then the left-sided centre back comes across to cover. 

For me, what we don't have in an attacking sense down the left-hand side is as much of a concern than what we do have defensively.

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Kelly didn't cover himself in glory at any of the goals. At the 2nd it seemed pretty clear where the County player was placing it and, while it was a decent enough hit, it seems mental that Kelly hasn't even moved for it. The less said about him channelling his inner Craig Samson for the 3rd, the better. 

For the third it almost looked like he was shocked to have saved the initial shot that he didn't know what to do.

Celtic game aside, Kelly has been dreadful for months and that interview 😂 rinse and repeat of his Raith rant. 

Captain by default, what a mess. 

4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I'm not even particularly pushing for Kettlewell to get sacked tbh. Even if we bin him and win on Saturday it's going to be a sticking plaster over a gaping wound and we'll be back in this position in about 6 months time.

Not going to retread old ground but the club is a complete mess from top to bottom and I can't see any of it improving any time soon. 

Strangely I think I have basically the opposite/happy clapper take where I honestly think everything is probably going to work out okay, mainly just because our problems are such obvious and ,therefore, hopefully simple fixes.

It looks like Kettlewell will probably get Saturday at least, where I imagine he'll either have some sort of epiphany and play a relatively sensible team with everybody in their right position, or he'll do something weird again, lose, and we'll get in somebody who'll do the first option anyway.

I don't think we'll immediately rocket up the table or anything but if Ketts/random manager X can shithouse our way to January without getting cut adrift I think it's only really two or three signings needed to get us somewhat competent again.

The Daily Record was tipping a few names with Neil Lennon being the favourite and I think that could work out well.  I just see any manager coming in giving us an initial boost and not being able to sustain anything because of our setup and budget. Maybe some things need changed behind the scenes it seems like a new scout for one but it’s hard to tell when you are not on the inside. It is clear though that things aren’t working at the minute overall. 

Edited by Ill Ray

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Strangely I think I have basically the opposite/happy clapper take where I honestly think everything is probably going to work out okay, mainly just because our problems are such obvious and ,therefore, hopefully simple fixes.

It looks like Kettlewell will probably get Saturday at least, where I imagine he'll either have some sort of epiphany and play a relatively sensible team with everybody in their right position, or he'll do something weird again, lose, and we'll get in somebody who'll do the first option anyway.

I don't think we'll immediately rocket up the table or anything but if Ketts/random manager X can shithouse our way to January without getting cut adrift I think it's only really two or three signings needed to get us somewhat competent again.

Add me to this group anaw.

Like I get why folk are wringing their hands and everything but I don't inherently think this is a particularly bad group of players - it just feels like their confidence is shot (not winning in 12 games or whatever will do that) and it's not being helped by the manager doing really fucking weird stuff.

As I say, where my doubt lies is with the people involved in the process of replacing Kettlewell as our last two appointments post-Alexander have entirely been 'path of least resistance' situations.

17 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I don't think you even need to be that good defensively when you've got three centre backs behind you. Surely, if a winger roasts him, then the left-sided centre back comes across to cover. 

For me, what we don't have in an attacking sense down the left-hand side is as much of a concern than what we do have defensively.

This This and This in spades 

Neil Lennon was at Motherwell as a kid but went back to Ireland as he was homesick being away from his family.

I wonder if the whole Leicester/Celtic thing was just him biding his time until he was ready? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Realistically, who would Motherwell be looking at if SK walks/is sacked?

Some of the shouts I've seen so far are unrealistic or terrible.

Valikari will no doubt be linked again, you would assume Callum Davidson would fancy us too. Jack Ross may have decided he's unemployed long enough to consider it, Lambert who knows.

There'll no doubt be a clutch of former English lower league managers interested too.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Please be Malky…

No drama, just no going back if it was.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Valikari will no doubt be linked again, you would assume Callum Davidson would fancy us too. Jack Ross may have decided he's unemployed long enough to consider it, Lambert who knows.

There'll no doubt be a clutch of former English lower league managers interested too.

He's at Newcastle isn't he? Fairly sure he's chucked management (and who could blame him) for upstairs gigs.

Callum Davidson fucking loves a back three, so that's a logical (and terrible) fit.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Jack Ross has picked up a fairly cushy gig as Head of Development at Newcastle, doubt he'd walk away from that.

Get Warnock in, seems like a decent bloke.  

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I would say there’s more than a decent amount of money going on Malky tbh.

It almost makes sense, although you really don’t want it.  

If this was a week ago, I’d have said Adams.  

eta: you could really f**k up County's season by making an approach for him, frankly. 

Edited by Savage Henry