Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, AdamMFC said:

I watched it mate. Mika could have been taken off at halftime after getting a sore one on his ankle but wanted to continue.

Admits Kelly made a mistake and calls him "too honest".

Calls St Johnstone St Mirren.

Cheers man. In order of his points -

Thank fck for Mika's willingness to continue.

His points on Kelly there don't point to him getting dropped any time soon, unfortunately. 

The Johnny's, the Maureen's, ach whatever. I'll let him off with that wee slip. The only leeway I'm giving him though, still think his time should be up.

Honest question here just looking for some differing perspectives? Has our support changed? Mellowed or just became apathetic? Are the fans more supportive? More understanding of limitations and budgets?

I was thinking about the 2006-07 season when Malpas was manager. I remember near the end of the season (St Mirren at home……maybe) a good number of fans appearing at the Main Stand to make it known that Malpas’ time was up.

Our worst run that season was a run of 7 without a win and there was a couple of draws in there. I’m just wondering why there hasn’t been the same response to Kettlewell? Appreciation of last season? Understanding of a difficult position. Have the support just got used to these runs now and are a LOT more accepting of them?

Could be a bit of everything really but the Club better be careful they don’t lose that connection with lots of the fanbase. Everyone knows a number of people that have sacked going to the games altogether or just pick and choose a couple of games a season. These types of runs with a seemingly untouchable manager and undroppable goalie aren’t going to encourage attendance that’s for sure.

Kettlewell said he tried to simplify things for the players in this game. I didn't watch it, but I'm sure that was a complaint from fans before the game that he had been overthinking it. Did you see a simplified game from your team today? Would you say 1-1 was a fair result or did you deserve to lose or win?

5 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Honest question here just looking for some differing perspectives? Has our support changed? Mellowed or just became apathetic? Are the fans more supportive? More understanding of limitations and budgets?

I think the fact that the team haven't chucked it (as we've seen happen multiple times over the past decade in similar circumstances) is probably keeping things from boiling over at the moment but that can't go on for ever. Losing embarrassing goals every week is going to kill us though.

10 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

I was thinking about the 2006-07 season when Malpas was manager. I remember near the end of the season (St Mirren at home……maybe) a good number of fans appearing at the Main Stand to make it known that Malpas’ time was up.

Our worst run that season was a run of 7 without a win and there was a couple of draws in there. I’m just wondering why there hasn’t been the same response to Kettlewell? Appreciation of last season? Understanding of a difficult position. Have the support just got used to these runs now and are a LOT more accepting of them?

Could be a bit of everything really but the Club better be careful they don’t lose that connection with lots of the fanbase. Everyone knows a number of people that have sacked going to the games altogether or just pick and choose a couple of games a season. These types of runs with a seemingly untouchable manager and undroppable goalie aren’t going to encourage attendance that’s for sure.

Kettlewell’s attitude isn’t that it’s just your Donald Duck if you win.

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Kettlewell said he tried to simplify things for the players in this game. I didn't watch it, but I'm sure that was a complaint from fans before the game that he had been overthinking it. Did you see a simplified game from your team today? Would you say 1-1 was a fair result or did you deserve to lose or win?

0-0 was a fair result

10 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Nah, I had a similar thought through the week in so much as I thought it was interesting the current vibe with Kettlewell vs the general feeling of animosity there seemed to be towards the likes of McGhee and Alexander and then, subsequently towards the players rather than Hammell back...presumably the players got it because it was Stevie Hammell in the dugout fucking things up.

13306038.jpg

FoObsUCXoAcL1Ai?format=jpg&name=large

I dropped a similar stat in last week, but that's now 35% of our goals scored this season in the 90th minute or later. 

That's us now on our longest run without a win since 1995/96 season. 

The equaliser could serve to just paper the cracks and prolong the agony for everyone (Kettlewell included).

I've lost faith in him turning it around. Essentially firing on Spittal to wing back and Wilkinson to centre mid to save his job would suggest he had too.

My only argument for not doing it now is that we would perhaps want our "new manager bounce" to come after we've played Rangers.

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The equaliser could serve to just paper the cracks and prolong the agony for everyone (Kettlewell included).

This was exactly my feeling walking out of the game - a point is no use to us but no motherwell manager gets sacked after winning a point in the last minute - so it resolves nothing.

I actually thought the crowd kind of stayed with the team today instead of losing it - which was surprising to me.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Nah, I had a similar thought through the week in so much as I thought it was interesting the current vibe with Kettlewell vs the general feeling of animosity there seemed to be towards the likes of McGhee and Alexander and then, subsequently towards the players rather than Hammell back...presumably the players got it because it was Stevie Hammell in the dugout fucking things up.

13306038.jpg

FoObsUCXoAcL1Ai?format=jpg&name=large

I’m a wee bit surprised we are not there. Is it because it is pre Xmas and the genuine panic/fear amongst the younger fans hasn’t kicked in yet? Maybe. Kettlewell, I believe, has presided over a worse run than Malpas, McGhee, Robinson, Alexander (could be wrong here tbf), and Hammell ever did. Yet there is next to no blow back. I’m just confused. This current run has lasted for, give or take, one third of the entire season. A crazy run and ridiculous stat. County and St Johnstone binned their managers before they reached the Kettlewell stage. Now is the time for change as the transfer window is only three weeks away. The board are making a total f**k up of it all.

Edited by Quatermass

Just now, Jonnylosqualo said:

It's hard to judge because of the number of last minute equalisers but reckon if we lost today and vs Dundee the fans would've turned by now.

He's been far too loyal to O'Donnell and Kelly and it's costing us

Maybe if that County result had been at home things would have went differently at full time.

I can’t see any fan protest, if at all, until Livi at home.

29 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

I’m a wee bit surprised we are not there. Is it because it is pre Xmas and the genuine panic/fear amongst the younger fans hasn’t kicked in yet. Kettlewell, I believe, has presided over a worse run than Malpas, McGhee, Robinson, Alexander (could be wrong here tbf), and Hammell ever did. Yet there is next to no blow back. I’m just confused. This current run has lasted for, give or take, one third of the entire season. A crazy run and ridiculous stat. County and St Johnstone binned their managers before they reached the Kettlewell stage. Now is the time for change as the transfer window is only three weeks away. The board are making a total f**k up of it all.

Alexander's run was 11 league games without a win that extended to 1 win in 15 but there were also wins in the cup vs Morton (aet) and Aberdeen so even in that respect he had a better record than Kettlewell at the moment.

Tbh, I think @Swello's post further up the page answers it in so much as the team clearly haven't chucked it.

39 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the fact that the team haven't chucked it (as we've seen happen multiple times over the past decade in similar circumstances) is probably keeping things from boiling over at the moment but that can't go on for ever. Losing embarrassing goals every week is going to kill us though.

As I mentioned at the top of the page we've only lost 2 of the last 6 (including the point at Parkhead) so there's that and I guess there were sections of the fanbase who actively disliked the likes of Malpas, McGhee and Alexander from the jump so it took a lot less for folk to get bent out of shape.

Edited by capt_oats

Clicked on here by default after game...currently in Lapland on holiday, minus 13, searching for Santa with the wee man - fucked if I'm gonna ruin these family Christmas, not to mention €10 pint, vibes reading the last three pages on here that I've missed...🤷‍♂️🤣

Carry on...⛄🎅⛄

18 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Personally, I think apathy has a lot to do with it. Whereas in seasons gone by where we've been in trouble, some were in isolation or book ended by ones where we've performed relatively well. Now, however, we've basically been dugshite for 3 years in a row with no respite. It's just become the norm and folk have just become accustomed to that. The feeling of excitement and expectation in the stands just isn't there and the Chasni pies are probably as big a draw these days as the actual fitba.

I know a fair few folk who, in the past, would have stayed til the bitter end of every shite game baying for blood then been round at the main entrance demanding action. Now, when it goes tits up? It's just a quick shout of displeasure when leaving early to head over and beat the queue for the bar in Club 100.

As a few folk are agreeing, this is arguably a worse position to be in than the angry crowds with the pitchforks out, as that apathy becomes dangerously close to changing from leaving early, to not bothering your hole in the first place.

2 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Personally, I think apathy has a lot to do with it. Whereas in seasons gone by where we've been in trouble, some were in isolation or book ended by ones where we've performed relatively well. Now, however, we've basically been dugshite for 3 years in a row with no respite. It's just become the norm and folk have just become accustomed to that. The feeling of excitement and expectation in the stands just isn't there and the Chasni pies are probably as big a draw these days as the actual fitba.

I know a fair few folk who, in the past, would have stayed til the bitter end of every shite game baying for blood then been round at the main entrance demanding action. Now, when it goes tits up? It's just a quick shout of displeasure when leaving early to head over and beat the queue for the bar in Club 100.

As a few folk are agreeing, this is arguably a worse position to be in than the angry crowds with the pitchforks out, as that apathy becomes dangerously close to changing from leaving early, to not bothering your hole in the first place.

I’d imagine pulling some fitba stickers oot of a Chasni pie would feel like winning a couple of games in a row these days.

49 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Maybe if that County result had been at home things would have went differently at full time.

I can’t see any fan protest, if at all, until Livi at home.

Was just about to post that. If the county game/result has been at Fir Park the reaction would’ve been more noticeable.

Edited by Allroy for Prez

I have sat through a lot of poorer performances than that today, not a lot of quality and the late goal changes the mind set a little.

Where do we go from here?  The changes we made were largely successful, will Gent hold his place if McGinn is back, does Davor stay in the team now that Paton is available?  Today he had few choices to make but players returning may confuse him.

I didn’t think Obika was effective today and I’m not sure what our best pairing up front is.

Oxborough got a couple of League Cup games and conceded 3 to QOS with Ricki Lamie in defence, he looked ok but not great.

I said the manager’s position would be reviewed if we were in the bottom 2 for a few weeks, well it is only goal difference keeping us out of there now.

We need a win. St Mirren have edged us twice but we were the better team at Fir Park.  Payback time?