Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

You can say he's just massively unlucky, but there can't be another player in the league who has deflected the ball into his own net more times than Mugabi. The defence as a whole was shambolic throughout the game, but that was to the surprise of no-one with that crazy formation and no protection from a nonexistent midfield.

From looking like taking an absolute shoeing at the start, to it really being 2pts dropped at the end really was mental given how bad we looked for large chunks of the game.

Today doesn't change my opinion on Kettlewell at all (infact running with that formation again only further confirmed it for me), his time should be up. It will, however have bought him time in the eyes of our dithering board. Can't see him getting any less than at least the first 3 games back after the restart. They are massive games against peer clubs that we simply must take a decent points haul from. I have no confidence at all that he is the man to make that happen.

Edited by 'WellDel

11 minutes ago, eliphas said:

That defending for the second goal. My god. But even if the build up was terrible, Mugabi slicing it in to the net was so so so so fucking needless.

That was all the sides of Mugabi today. 

First goal he was slow to react and close the man down for the shot or block the ball. 

Won some cracking headers and made some great blocks. Then scores the goal.

Then slices a stupid crap shot which the keeper had covered into the top corner to lose us 2 pts…. 

Time to move him on imo. 

3 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

You can say he's just massively unlucky, but there can't be another player in the league who has deflected the ball into his own net more times than Mugabi. The defence as a whole was shambolic throughout the game, but that was to the surprise of no-one with that crazy formation and no protection from a nonexistent midfield.

From looking like taking an absolute shoeing at the start, to it really being 2pts dropped at the end really was mental given how bad we looked for large chunks of the game.

Today doesn't change my opinion on Kettlewell at all (infact running with that formation again only further confirmed it for me), his time should be up. It will, however have bought him time in the eyes of our dithering board. Can't see him getting any less than at least the first 3 games back after the restart. They are massive games against peer clubs that we simply must take a decent points haul from. I have no confidence at all that he is the man to make that happen.

Mugabi has been with us for over well over 4 years now and every season he chucks away goals. No doubt folk will mention that he's 'a nice guy' but he's cost us so many points over the last few seasons. Simply can't continue to start every week for us 

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We're going to end up playing one of Furlong or Gent on the right aren't we

Why do that when you can waste your most influential attacking midfielder there in a crazy 5-2-3 setup instead? 

4 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Mugabi has been with us for over well over 4 years now and every season he chucks away goals. No doubt folk will mention that he's 'a nice guy' but he's cost us so many points over the last few seasons. Simply can't continue to start every week for us 

For me I would be looking for a decent CB so we don’t have to play Mugabi unless necessary. Neither Casey or Butcher have come close to the levels from last season even when fit and available. Now that Bair has turned into prime KVV we do need to sort out the defence as best as we can with the budget available. 

I have a feeling I will sigh heavily when seeing the OG from Mugabi but when all is said and done I would have taken a point at Easter Rd especially when down 1-0 and being outplayed.

We go into the break a with 4 points from 6. 4 points gained on Livi and 3 on County. People still calling for Ketts head on a plate. Not sure if Pep G could even do as well with 13-14 players to choose from 🤷‍♂️.

18 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Agreed. I'd like to think some folk might say that I'm a nice guy, I should never play centre half for Motherwell though. He definitely does seem like a decent big fella, but he's never a starting 11 defender at this level. He is capable of going on a run of a few steady games, but you just know the brain farts and slip ups that will inevitably cost you points are always just around the corner.

Edited by 'WellDel

I’ll give Ketts a pass on the mental formation / line up for today. That squad was thin! Watching some of our subs warming up, I’m convinced some of them still believe in Santa. A bunch of weans.  

34 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

You can say he's just massively unlucky, but there can't be another player in the league who has deflected the ball into his own net more times than Mugabi. 

He doesn't by any chance have Craigan's old locker in the changing room does he ? 

Not having the slagging of Mugabi. (for those goals)

Let's see him move out the way of the next few shots and see how you all react. 

Edited by Busta Nut

34 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not having the slagging of Mugabi. (for those goals)

Let's see him move out the way of the next few shots and see how you all react. 

I'll give him a pass for the first.

The second one the majority of professional football players* in the top division in Scotland get a clean connection on that. He constantly slices and sclaffs kicks through 90 minute, he's clumsy as anything and rash to boot.

All of that has been a constant through his four years. 

Lovely header of the ball though it has to be said the big sexy b*****d.

*Excluding Andy Considine.

Edited by eliphas

Would you rather Mugabi didn't try to block shots. Liam Kelly was probably going to palm that one out to a Hibs striker.

I think Mugabi had four blocks today. He puts himself in the line of the shot which obviously has downsides but the game where he was dropped and replaced with Butcher we looked howling at the back

And he scored today!

Boot in the baws to lose that late goal, but I suppose most of us would have taken a point before a ball was kicked. 

Four points from six is a huge improvement and now we have the opportunity to get some players back and get reinforcements in. Decent home cup draw gives us a good chance to build on the last two results and build confidence too before the league returns.

On today's game... 

Pros:

Terrific goal from Bair again. 

Mika ran his arse off again and got two good assists. 

Great from SODs and Mika to keep the chance alive for the second and a good finish from Bevis. 

Cons:

So wasteful in possession today, ridiculous amount of stray passes and inviting pressure. 

Spittal wasted at wing-back but the squad is so thin just now. 

Two really soft goals to concede again. 

First goal, Youan goes by about four folk without any real challenge before getting his shot away, can't see how that's Bevis' fault at all. 

Second goal, inexperience from Gent with both the clearance and then standing off. Again, not sure why folk are blaming Bevis, he's doing everything he can to prevent the goal. 

56 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’ll give Ketts a pass on the mental formation / line up for today. That squad was thin!

I have sympathy with the low numbers but honestly, at times he really doesn’t fucking help himself. 

I mean we had a central midfielder playing rwb today while 2 actual right backs were playing in the back 3. Meanwhile 2 of the 3 senior players he had available on the bench were defenders. 

Even then, I could live with all that it if it was maybe a 352 with Bair and Biereth through the middle and Slattery in the midfield. However having Slattery on the right of a front 3 again after his horror show there on Saturday beggars belief. 

Kettlewell trying to force players into the formation he wants to play instead of the shape that best suits what he has available has been one of our biggest problems this season. Once again today it was about 4 or 5 square pegs shoved into round holes just so he could play his weird 523 formation. 

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

I mean we had a central midfielder playing rwb today while 2 actual right backs were playing in the back 3. Meanwhile 2 of the 3 senior players he had available on the bench were defenders. 

Stretching the definition of player for Nathan McGinley and Defender for Butcher

48 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’ll give Ketts a pass on the mental formation / line up for today. That squad was thin! Watching some of our subs warming up, I’m convinced some of them still believe in Santa. A bunch of weans.  

Don't get your point mate.. a bunch of weans? Hibs had 2 x 16 year olds and a 17 year old on the park today and they still dominated and bossed our so called 1st team choice..

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Stretching the definition of player for Nathan McGinley and Defender for Butcher

Well that’s kind of the point I suppose.

Either play players in their proper positions or if you don’t have the players to play the way you want, change the shape to accommodate the ones you do. Don’t pick 4 or 5 players out of position just because you’ve got a bizarre 523 fetish.

Edited by Casagolda

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

Well that’s kind of the point I suppose.

Either play players in their proper positions or if you don’t have the players to play the way you want, change the shape to accommodate the ones you do. Don’t pick 4 or 5 players out of position just because you’ve got a bizarre 523 fetish

We started the game with a back 4 which was quickly scrapped after they got behind us down our right 3 times in the first 10 minutes.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost