Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As brutal as it is, you can't really argue with 1.5m views in about 18 hours. Whether anything tangible actually comes from it is another matter but it's certainly having the desired reach. 

Big Theo POTM. Good for him. I'm calling it now - he's hitting double figures this season. 

Edited by dezz

11 minutes ago, dezz said:

As brutal as it is, you can't really argue with 1.5m views in about 18 hours. Whether anything tangible actually comes from it is another matter but it's certainly having the desired reach. 

Big Theo POTM. Good for him. I'm calling it now - he's hitting double figures this season. 

If Burrows/Russell/Brannan had constructed a video that got 1.5m views in their time at Motherwell we'd be quick to here about it, be getting a detailed breakdown of stats and reach and submitting ourselves forward for consideration for another media award. (I realise I'm going in fairly hard on the previous team - I did like some of the stuff but by god did they toot their own horn about it and, imo, really try and say it was so so important)

To @ropy's question re papers/online news. We seem to have hit all the major red tops certainly and a number of online outlets. Saw it on Bein Sports website earlier too and for some reason seems to have a bit of traction on Australian based news sites too. All of it down the route if 'mock' and etc. rather than saying it's cringey or anything.

Edited by eliphas

My take on the cingey/"quirky" video, while I'm not a fan and am still baffled by a lot of it, I'm not sure it's quite as bad as the initial reaction suggests, it's a bit chronic but probably not the worst thing ever, however let's also not pretend it's got loads of layers of comedy to it. Folk are talking about it and I guess you canny argue with the views if "reach" is your main aim. 

Had it been put out alongside an announcement of a healthy increase in Well Society membership or actual investment news, sort of like "this is great but we can do more with more investment" it probably wouldn't have received the reaction from our fanbase that is has had. As @Busta Nut said, when the 18 months to two years of hype around "investment discussions" is just a video I think folk are right to question what else has been happening. 

If it gets more eyes on the club then great, but I'm sure serious money investors will need a lot more than a cheesy video to jump at the chance to  get involved. 

Edited by MurrayWell

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

After @thisGRAEME pointed out that it was Leith who worked on the creative and knowing the style of their other campaigns I think it's fair enough to assume it was deliberate and they knew what they were doing. Which is kind of a relief in so much as we haven't produced this in-house.

So, if we'd knocked it up in-house for a fiver it would be shit, but because we spunked £25k on it (amount made up for dramatic effect) it's somehow a work of genius? Fucking creatives! 😜

And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, “It’s pretty, but is it Art?”
- Rudyard Kipling

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

So, if we'd knocked it up in-house for a fiver it would be shit, but because we spunked £25k on it (amount made up for dramatic effect) it's somehow a work of genius? Fucking creatives! 😜

And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, “It’s pretty, but is it Art?”
- Rudyard Kipling

:lol:

Aye. Exactly that.

Nah, it's more a case that once you see some of the campaigns the agency/studio have worked on then the final thing makes a bit more sense. It doesn't make it any more/less objectively bad and all the various criticisms stand but at least it's in line with a house style and I don't think there could be an argument that what was delivered is particularly out of line with that.

Whether it's the right tone for what we're trying to do (what are we trying to do? who is this actually for?) and quite how/why we landed on them as the preferred option is probably a question for Jim McMahon.

I mean, did we supply a brief and ask for pitches from various studios or did we just go straight to Leith and say "we've heard of you, we like your other campaigns can you do us something like that?".

Fanny.jpg

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

My take on the cingey/"quirky" video, while I'm not a fan and am still baffled by a lot of it, I'm not sure it's quite as bad as the initial reaction suggests, it's a bit chronic but probably not the worst thing ever, however let's also not pretend it's got loads of layers of comedy to it. Folk are talking about it and I guess you canny argue with the views if "reach" is your main aim. 

Had it been put out alongside an announcement of a healthy increase in Well Society membership or actual investment news, sort of like "this is great but we can do more with more investment" it probably wouldn't have received the reaction from our fanbase that is has had. As @Busta Nut said, when the 18 months to two years of hype around "investment discussions" is just a video I think folk are right to question what else has been happening. 

If it gets more eyes on the club then great, but I'm sure serious money investors will need a lot more than a cheesy video to jump at the chance to  get involved. 

This is where I am at with this. I suppose when you take a step back and look at TV adverts for example most of them to me are annoying as f**k eg Go Compare guy, McDonalds lassie ordering for her neighbours etc. I guess the worst response for an advertiser is indifference - they want a reaction , they want people talking/ tweeting about it so job done ✅ 

I honestly don’t think it’s as bad as people are making out. Hopefully some Hollywood hottie takes a shine to SODs rugged charm and writes us a big fat cheque.

As mentioned. It's about the follow up. 

Are we just fishing with this video? Nothing else? Is there more to it? (I assume there will be). Maybe we'll get luck and some Saudi clown prince will play with us for 3 decades. 

I am not sure what the next bits would even be but I hope the plan wasn't just to make this video for internet clout and hope suhin happens. 

1.6m views won't pay wages.

2m tweet views now lads. 🚀

The thing I'm most annoyed about with this video is that it's made me dip back into Twitter. Had managed to exile myself from all social media, other than the odd lineup check, for months. Great to see it's a still an absolute cesspool of wideos

Edited by eliphas

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

As mentioned. It's about the follow up. 

Are we just fishing with this video? Nothing else? Is there more to it? (I assume there will be). Maybe we'll get luck and some Saudi clown prince will play with us for 3 decades. 

I am not sure what the next bits would even be but I hope the plan wasn't just to make this video for internet clout and hope suhin happens. 

1.6m views won't pay wages.

If there is a next bit I'll eat my proverbial ghutra

I've cooled off a bit since yesterday, mainly about the video itself, as fair play to the players and coaches for playing along with it.

As with most, my biggest frustration is that this came out after a "fundraising initiative" had been promised for the last couple of years, and I expected a lot more given that timeline. As per @Busta Nut , it' now down to what we do next, and that is the bit I'm very very skeptical about. I just have the feeling the chairman is sitting by an old fashioned dial phone that isn't plugged in, waiting for JR Ewing to call.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

image.png.c2120fe46f653d6e6ce1c51879e099ab.png

Feels like someone who should chuck a few quid in given the free boost to her profile every time we win.

This is a campaign I can fully get behind . Just imagine Natalie smiling on a hammock thrust into the centre circle at full time after a victory. Sponsored by Gala apples . 

I mean take my money 💰.