Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

There was a point on his return where a few of us thought we should give him a run on the left and tell him his only job is to cross the ball as often as possible. Unfortunately he was doomed to playing inverted and, coupled with him looking like his confidence was shot to ribbons, the loan was a total bust. 

Fair play to him for getting paid handsomely for a couple of years. If he's sensible he'll have enough behind him to keep him comfortable. 

Aye.

Reading my posts back from last night there was quite a heavy "Poor Jake Hastie..." vibe which wasn't really intended. Clearly it's on him to take ownership of the direction of travel of his career. The whole 'Stop The 10' incident had a daft laddie who's out of his depth energy.

At the same time I definitely stand by the idea that he was poorly handled - Rangers seemed to decide they'd been sold a pup immediately and the loan spell he had where he was destined to continually run into dead ends on a weekly basis because of the way Robinson set up (and was doing nothing to correct it) shot any confidence he had left to pieces and I don't really think his career has ever really recovered from it.

Edited by capt_oats

I always question Robinson's priorities the summer that he brought him back on loan.

We signed Hastie, White, Lang and Cole, renewed Watt and Long's contract, with Seedorf already cutting about, whilst relying on McGinley and Lamie to make up part of our first choice defence and starting the season with Turnbull on the left of a front three.

5 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Hearing that we beat East Kilbride 7-0 last night at FP.

Miller played and impressed. Gent used as a number 10 played well as did Montgomery.

Positive to hear.

Gent as 10 though. Of course he is.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

IMG_7440.thumb.jpg.2078f05f336daf5e395ed

See in hindsight and with the career trajectories of both, Hull City signing James Scott to replace Jarrod Bowen is really, really funny.

16 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Miller played and impressed. Gent used as a number 10 played well as did Montgomery.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if we had any bounce games arranged. Don’t want to go into Saturday game on the back of a 2-3 week break. 

Good to hear that both Lennon and Montgomery played. Still have Lennon listed as a doubt in the pre game spiel. Be interesting to see whether he plays a part in the game this weekend. 

28 minutes ago, Marinello said:

A full back at attacking mid you say? 

1281061-27613884-2560-1440.thumb.jpg.76cb6e72ef1ef7e2c7224e406b1bc96a.jpg

I like the our description as top team strugglers when Sheffield Wed are 3rd bottom of their table…

Does Mika get a say in this ? Maybe he would want to stay. Problem is they could afford to pay all his wages and a little on top possibly.

Wait and see but suspect this may well happen with one club or another. Especially when Arsenal have previous on cutting short loan deals.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

I like the our description as top team strugglers when Sheffield Wed are 3rd bottom of their table…

Does Mika get a say in this ? Maybe he would want to stay. Problem is they could afford to pay all his wages and a little on top possibly.

Wait and see but suspect this may well happen with one club or another. Especially when Arsenal have previous on cutting short loan deals.

Can SOD make him some special empire biscuits to convince him?

2 hours ago, Marinello said:

I assume Bair got six? 

Despite how bad this season has been, I've always been quietly optimistic that we'll have enough quality, albeit limited in number, to be fine. Losing both Slattery and Mika this month, two of our players with real quality, would be a massive blow. 

3 hours ago, Marinello said:

I did wonder why we had all the floodlights on at half 5...

Arsenal can go f**k themselves, and Sheffield Wednesday while they're at it.

I mean, Biereth is their player and the reason he's here is for his development rather than helping us out. Given in the short time he's been available he's looked more than capable with us at this level the step up to the Championship makes sense and given Arsenal's previous for this it was always going to be a risk so you'd hope we might have built in some sort of contingency (lol).

The one thing that I thought might have been in our favour was his injury and the fact it's a relatively small sample size.

I doubt we'd necessarily get much of a say in it but if the loan is essentially having to be "ripped up" you'd hope that were would be some sort of quid quo pro since it's a fucking pain in the arse for us.

All of which is to say is if Arsenal are going to take our beautiful boy Mika away they can at least do us a solid in return.

Bring him home...

0_Motherwell-vs-Queen-of-the-South.jpg