Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Doesn't matter who we play, this team will gift goals. 

Going a goal up early doors at home against lower league opposition, we should be looking to kill the tie by half time at the latest. Not this shower though. 

I'd though the first point of defending is NOT to allow the opposition just walk their way into the box and get into a position to shoot.

Absolutley dire that may spell the end for this tie.

Edited by Phillips455

I am honestly at the end of my tether with this team. Its the same defensive "Mistakes" each time. Just put a bloody tackle in or get the ball away from goal. 

If Any player gets into a good position to shoot, then how on earth are we even going to survive.

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Doesn't matter who we play, this team will gift goals. 

Going a goal up early doors at home against lower league opposition, we should be looking to kill the tie by half time at the latest. Not this shower though. 

We've been totally uninspired and conceding from their only shot is especially on brand for us right now. We don't even control possession really, other than their edge being (generally) even blunter than ours, they look as much of a top-flight side as us.

17 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

We've been totally uninspired and conceding from their only shot is especially on brand for us right now. We don't even control possession really, other than their edge being (generally) even blunter than ours, they look as much of a top-flight side as us.

It's actually fairer to say we look we much of a league one side as them.

18 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

See when you think of the worst Motherwell team in the last 40 years,  this one is worse. 

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's actually fairer to say we look we much of a league one side as them.

You guys are going a bit hard on the Negative Nancy role here.

image.png.b65b997131b2396b608bb6acb5dcf74a.png

To quote the BBC

Of the six top-flight teams currently playing against lower-league opposition, only one is winning.

That's Motherwell.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Arguing over a penalty is criminal, it'd be embarrassing for an amateur side.

Incidentally: Of the six top-flight teams currently playing against lower-league opposition, only one is winning.

Given Aberdeen and Hearts also made heavy weather of it, coming back is clearly tricky...not just us struggling.

11 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Ha ha, just conceded that.

We're still shite mind 🙂

Yeah, we're definitely a bit shite, but this ain't the worst I've seen us play.  I mean, I'm still actively watching it rather than getting distracted with clipping my toenails etc.

The things that have annoyed me are the frequently terrible set-piece deliveries. 
And the inability or lack of desire of our front-players to receive the ball with their backs to goal, and not try to turn it around the corner, or drag it or Cruyff-turn it in an attempt to get a shooting chance.   Instead they just ping it straight back where it came from.  Infuriating!

Liking the look of Montgomery today.  Hope he'll look as tidy in the league.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

16 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yeah, we're definitely a bit shite, but this ain't the worst I've seen us play.  I mean, I'm still actively watching it rather than getting distracted with clipping my toenails etc.

The things that have annoyed me are the frequently terrible set-piece deliveries. 
And the inability or lack of desire of our front-players to receive the ball with their backs to goal, and not try to turn it around the corner, or drag it or Cruyff-turn it in an attempt to get a shooting chance.   Instead they just ping it straight back where it came from.  Infuriating!

Liking the look of Montgomery today.  Hope he'll look as tidy in the league.

Some of our basics - short passing, first touch etc - were appalling but ultimately we ran out comfortable winners without looking great, which is the definition of meeting expectations. In contrast to our relegation rivals anyway...

Thought we were a lot better when Miller came on - because he's a good player, the change of shape, or a bit of both?

Comfortably through to the next round with no scares other than one counter attack. We were shite, and clearly need 4 or 5 new players, but were in the hat to be drawn against Morton, and that's all that matters.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Some of our basics - short passing, first touch etc - were appalling but ultimately we ran out comfortable winners without looking great, which is the definition of meeting expectations. In contrast to our relegation rivals anyway...

Thought we were a lot better when Miller came on - because he's a good player, the change of shape, or a bit of both?

Miller does this thing where he passes the ball without announcing to everyone what he's going to do. It's pretty cool. He should put on a seminar for the rest of the team.

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Miller does this thing where he passes the ball without announcing to everyone what he's going to do. It's pretty cool. He should put on a seminar for the rest of the team.

Miller does this thing where he passes the ball to another Motherwell player. It's pretty cool. He should put on a seminar for the rest of the team.

1 minute ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Miller does this thing where he passes the ball to another Motherwell player. It's pretty cool. He should put on a seminar for the rest of the team.

He really has it all