Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

Fair point tbf. My retort specifically aimed at that guy ( and pals) as was in my ear the whole game with atrocious patter. " Bair's a coo , look is he a Bair or a coo , groundsman won't need to cut the grass coz that coos been eating it all game ...." Etc all game . Booed Halliday coming on ( I know he's a divisive figure but FFS u don't boo your own players coming on ). Just stfu and actually support your team.  

We seem to have a few fans who attend games who are like this. Maybe the club could offer season tickets in the away end , where they'd be happier 

A timely reminder of just how bad some of our players are individually. Bair, Mugabi and O’Donnell in particular. Bair might have been isolated but Gent put in about 6 crosses than even an average striker might have gambled on and made a run or chucked himself at. I can’t handle watching him a second longer. I’m struggling to think of a worse striker we’ve had to endure.

We need a right back, a centre half and 2 strikers or we are down. Quite possibly not even winning another game in the process.

2 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

We need a right back, a centre half and 2 strikers or we are down. Quite possibly not even winning another game in the process.

And we'll no doubt strengthen, whether it's exactly that or not remains to be seen.

I'm actually feeling more confident about our survival chances. Which is not to say I'm confident we'll survive, just less certain we're doomed...

We've lost two in nine, if you take the County game as the absolute low point, we've lost one in six (to Rangers) since. Despite being shite for months we're not in the bottom two and are in the last 16 of the cup with a nearly 50-50 chance of a lower league side (before we get sent to Paisley).

Our two biggest rivals just lost to lower league sides, one of them tanked and their manager basically said they're shite and he regrets taking the job.

It's a Saturday night after a victory, have a beer and forget the many concerns until tomorrow.

From the Cooper stand I had no idea we had scored the first. I thought the shot was going over the bar, then I saw that it had hit the bar and come out, was quite confused when a goal was awarded, happy though.

I can't remember a time where Motherwell routinely pump lower league sides in the early rounds of the cup - and we didn't do that today either. But it would take a pretty wild take to say that we weren't comfortably the better team, were under very little pressure and were well worth the 3-1.

My main frustration with today was the fact that we were having "so" much joy down the left and then kind of stopped doing it. Montgomery and Gent made for a pretty entertaining left hand side.

Seeing Miller back calmed me down a lot about Slattery's injury - he literally didn't waste a pass which is a huge novelty for us.

I actually thought not letting Bair take the penalty was a slightly bad bit of management - if we can keep him confident, that could be a benefit to us and his head went down a bit after that. Alloa were absolutely knackered by the time we got the penalty - they weren't looking like causing us any problems, so it was different to a league game.

How good was it to have a game with no VAR - I forgot how good it was.

Lastly - there is a lot of pressure on us to have a striker in this week - we can't possibly play critical relegation games with Theo on his own and waiting until 11pm on the 31st isn't going to cut it.

Just now, ropy said:

From the Cooper stand I had no idea we had scored the first. I thought the shot was going over the bar, then I saw that it had hit the bar and come out, was quite confused when a goal was awarded, happy though.

For some reason there were no replays on the stream but on the live view it looked miles over the line.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

Lastly - there is a lot of pressure on us to have a striker in this week - we can't possibly play critical relegation games with Theo on his own and waiting until 11pm on the 31st isn't going to cut it.

If the rumours on Shaw are true, we're now down to Blair and Obika (injured). We need a fair bit of inspiration here...also interesting the rumours are mainly around midfield, wing, right back. Not that they're not needed but the attack is a defining issue now.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If the rumours on Shaw are true, we're now down to Blair and Obika (injured). We need a fair bit of inspiration here...also interesting the rumours are mainly around midfield, wing, right back. Not that they're not needed but the attack is a defining issue now.

What are the Shaw rumours, injured or recalled?

7 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

What are the Shaw rumours, injured or recalled?

I think that based on how the last couple of weeks have gone, if a player isn't in every club photo then it means they've been recalled or let go.

Folk geein Bair a hard time 😂

Wasn't his best game, nowhere near it, probably something to do with the lack of service or fellow forward. Guy has nae chance with some in our support, and it's predictable as f**k, that he's in the firing line again despite his recent form.

Get the feeling this will be a recurring theme whenever things aren't going as well, along with the long run without a win getting brought up against Kettlewell, with any recent form overlooked. 

We weren't great but won a game with a threadbare team, comfortably in the end, we're into the next round, we do need more players and we will sign folk.  Just enjoy yer Saturday night. 

19 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Folk geein Bair a hard time 😂

Wasn't his best game, nowhere near it, probably something to do with the lack of service or fellow forward. Guy has nae chance with some in our support, and it's predictable as f**k, that he's in the firing line again despite his recent form.

Get the feeling this will be a recurring theme whenever things aren't going as well, along with the long run without a win getting brought up against Kettlewell, with any recent form overlooked. 

We weren't great but won a game with a threadbare team, comfortably in the end, we're into the next round, we do need more players and we will sign folk.  Just enjoy yer Saturday night. 

I don't disagree with this post at all. Our fan base (probably most in Scotland) are full of a loud minority who need a target to moan about, unfortunately Theo is the next in a long line of players who'll take the blame. 

On the flip side though, he's a likeable guy who certainly gives his all but he's a hopeless footballer and 3 goals in 2 games in a bit premature for anyone to call "form". Wouldn't see me getting on his back at games though. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

One of the best balls that was put in was by Bair however inevitably there was no one in the middle.

There is a reason for this btw.

It's because he's a winger. He isn't a striker.

11 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I am not quite all aboard the Bair train but if we had him playing as a presence, inside forward a la James Scott on one flank with a real winger giving width on the other and a real striker through the middle, I'd consider buying a ticket.

The trouble with that is that means 5-2-3 - which gives me the fear still - or SK will need a total change of heart with defence and midfield.

Why did Spittal stand with the ball waiting for the penalty, why didn’t he go back into the crowd of team mates and wait for the nod.  He just heaped a lot of pressure on himself.

20 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

image.png.6528353d6f1d2c4f11792cbaf2263aee.png

Copy and paste the above if it's you lot that are one of two in for him :D 

Bair is a decent squad striker, has good technical ability, has all the physical attributes for a good striker how he’s zero and I mean strikers instinct. 

Constantly waits on the ball coming to him in the box. Doesn’t attack it and doesn’t move when balls coming from wide. Obika is exactly the same. Strikers need to be ok the move and gambling for a break or missed clearance. Neither of them do which is why neither will score double figures in a season.