Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, OhWell said:

Being linked with James Scott...

Was surprised to see he is only 23 😳. At Exeter at the moment. Presumably they will look to release him when they sign Nouble. 

Just now, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I'd take the James Scott that left us back. Not sure about this edition. 

Absolutely would.

Kettlewell tick list.
Had a load of injuries… (check)

Over 6ft (check).

Aye he will do. 

I'd been having a nose about the Exeter forum off the back of the weird Theo Bair bit that was doing the rounds and shall we say, they're not very complimentary about oor Jimmy.

They're definitely taking this news in their stride: https://www.exeweb.com/forums/threads/garys-january-transfer-window.64079/post-2279830

Tbh, I had wondered if he'd fit our profile - (ex-)player we know has/had a high ceiling, on the fringes at his current club, contract due to expire etc. If we were looking at a wide forward like Nouble then I guess he sort of fits that based on the way Robinson used him here.

As an aside, along with him Exeter currently have the bold Zak Jules and Jack Aitchison on their books. It was Exeter who chucked us some change for Bad News Bowman and had Jake Taylor and Nicky Law playing in the same side. Just generally they have a wild number of players at the club who've played up here.

Plus, Gary Caldwell's their manager.

I'm generally sceptical about HITC 'news' but they're quoting us, St Mirren (of course), Dundee and Ross County as being interested. Hmmmmm.

Edited by capt_oats

In theory, he would be perfect for our situation.

He'd suit being a wide forward in our current formation, would be fine in a front two and could even fit the "all across the front three" bill if we were ever to go crazy and change to a back four.

He's not exactly kicked on since he left us and there was talk of attitude issues at Hibs, but as we say for most players, it wouldn't take much for him to add to this squad. 

If we were getting the January 2020 version back, I'd be very enthused. The current one I'd be more content or satisfied. But in fairness, I am the latter for the vast majority of our signings these days anyway.

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Sounds like a good signing - end of the season doesn't feel like "building a squad here" though...

January windows arent for building a squad.

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Sounds like a good signing - end of the season doesn't feel like "building a squad here" though...

Perhaps by "building a squad" it was a nod to him being part of a squad, rather than an automatic starter. 

Perhaps by "building a squad" it was a nod to him being part of a squad, rather than an automatic starter. 

That was my take, considering we're heavily linked with another RB.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

He mentioned 'building a squad' in his post-match on Saturday.

Tbf, as @Swello says there's a disconnect between the quote used in the announce and the optics of a 6 month deal. Ngl I laughed when I read it as well.

Having said that, I just took it to simply mean that we are utterly threadbare and he needs bodies in to give him some sort of a squad to choose from rather than it being any sort of nod to long term planning.

Aye - very possibly. I know we need bodies in if we're to finish 10th or above but the number of short term signings generally is at the root of some of our problems and so I'm less than thrilled at seeing another one I guess.

Wonder if it's a Casey style situation, 'We reckon you could do a job here but he's a short-term to start' given he's not played here previously. Protects us and the player. 

Looks like a potentially good signing. 

3 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Wonder if it's a Casey style situation, 'We reckon you could do a job here but he's a short-term to start' given he's not played here previously. Protects us and the player. 

Looks like a potentially good signing. 

Aye, that would be my guess, especially given he's moving halfway across the world.

I mean, imagine we gave him a 2 year deal and he turned out to be complete Danzaki-style bobbins. Nuclear level heads gone would ensue.

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

I agree - but that was a quote from Kettlewell.

Hes a slaver tbf, so who knows what he means.