Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Midfield surely...5-4-1 diamond.

Not saying it won't be this but if it is then going forward it just sounds like a worse version of the Paton-Miller-Spittal-Slattery midfield from the start of the season to me. 

I'd rather we kept Spittal and Gent close to Bair again but that probably hinges on whether Halliday is any good at LB which I'm not fully convinced of.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Not saying it won't be this but if it is then going forward it just sounds like a worse version of the Paton-Miller-Spittal-Slattery midfield from the start of the season to me. 

I'd rather we kept Spittal and Gent close to Bair again but that probably hinges on whether Halliday is any good at LB which I'm not fully convinced of.

Aye, it's definitely a shame to move Gent back after last week but when Halliday has only played 30 minutes or whatever in months, it would seem much safer bringing him back gradually in a crowded midfield than chucking him lwb.

I don't think there's much doubt our plan today is a stodgy shitfest and snatch what we can.

If we do the wing back approach which it probably will be and we go with Halliday and Sod that must be the slowest wing back combo in world football. 

Really gutted about Montgomery, watching Gent and Montgomery on the left was entertaining. 

1 minute ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Whilst I said in today’s match thread today  we’ve been very patient, if we lose today I’m 100% firing up the “Kettlwell Out” bus.

1 win ,18, 19, 20!?!?! Where does it end? 

I appreciate the sentiment but we basically gave him a fresh start because of the four points over new year. You can argue about whether that's right or wrong but that decision has been made and we're not going to sack him with four days to go in the window.

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I appreciate the sentiment but we basically gave him a fresh start because of the four points over new year. You can argue about whether that's right or wrong but that decision has been made and we're not going to sack him with four days to go in the window.

I hear you and you’re right. 

The bus takes a wee while to get going though, defeats v County, Killie and Morton should see it arrive at its destination however. 

Just now, Allroy for Prez said:

I hear you and you’re right. 

The bus takes a wee while to get going though, defeats v County, Killie and Morton should see it arrive at its destination however. 

Yeah. The theory is obviously that you shouldn't give him the window then bin after a mid-February cup humiliation but reality - as we've seen - will surely take over if that's the run of results.

56 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Whilst I said in today’s match thread today  we’ve been very patient, if we lose today I’m 100% firing up the “Kettlwell Out” bus.

1 win ,18, 19, 20!?!?! Where does it end? 

The end of the season. I’ve long made peace with it. I don’t like it………….

Edited by Quatermass

49 minutes ago, CoF said:

Aside from losing (yet another) absolutely shite goal, we do kinda resemble a football team today. 

That was more than solid enough, gift apart. We really should have won but hardly a surprise our cutting edge was lacking.

You have to take each game in isolation, and a point there is never terrible, especially with our squad situation.

I thought McGinn was excellent, and halliday gave us some much needed composure. Butcher was better, but needs to be a little less composed. Our one man attacking options worked his arse off and it was good to see him score again, against the team that just didn't understand him.

Nicholson looked lively when he came on as well.

Another goal for Bair, just another day for the big man. What a guy! 

Some folk still gony pretend he's not good for us? 

Should have won that today but hopefully a few more additions this week will help with that. Nicholson looks like he'll bring something to the team, Halliday was solid enough.

Thought their goal was offside. Not a fucking clue anymore when it comes to referees and VAR.  

Reckon we'll be fine. 

Edited by MurrayWell

That ball from Nicholson was quality, very similar to McDonald's to Fitzpatrick in 2005.

Anyway, between Shaw and Paton X 2, we've been one touch from two victories in Perth three times this season and not only did we not win, not only did we not force Mitov into a single save from those three situations, we managed just one shot...

A stupid quirk ofc but against a relegation rival, jesus wept.