Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Phillips455 said:

Bloody autocorrect. Obviously meant pole however.

Also to answer your second point, no. The gap between the old firm (and possibly hearts) will just keep growing. Then again  we have to beat teams around out level first before getting pumped against the ugly duo.

Someone will get Morton, someone will get Thistle or Livingston in the quarters. Christ, maybe they'll even get each other and someone will have one of them in the semi.

You're 100% right that winning a cup is always unlikely but the gap to the OF is very rarely the decisive factor. we should be doing better than no semi-finals in six years.

There's genuinely no excuse for that level of performance. Outplayed and outfought by a team from a lower league that didn't even have to play well on the night. 

Buzzing so many of this absolute gang are out of contract soon. Only a few more months of suffering Liam Kelly, folks. 

Kettlewell will probably keep us up, whoever the CEO is then should shake his hand and say goodbye after that. 

23 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

Absolute naive performance. Shelling long to 1 up was criminal.

Looked so much better with Devine linking on right hand side. To little too late. 

Kettlewell got it badly badly wrong tonight. 

Scunnered. 

Must admit I quite fancied her when she was in Cheers..........

image.thumb.png.1c8328eb40d7edef8e7f6d1998ffc78f.png

I’ve said it before but no way would I trust ANYONE in this squad in a two legged play off against, for example, a team like Raith Rovers. Or Morton. Was this a shock to anyone? Really? It’s another stark warning to what could face us when/if we hit the trap door.

Three wins in all comps in 22 games. We haven’t won two games in a row since late August/early Sept. Away to Morton just seemed 50/50 at best.

I was impressed on Tuesday but it never changed my mind. Kettlewell has to go. Kelly has to go. We need to empty that squad as much as possible.

Is there some sort of trait the managers at Motherwell look for in players before we sign them?.....like being bottle merchants in every single game?. It must be unique to Motherwell players in last 10 years. Cup finals, bottle it...Old Firm...bottle it....games against lower league teams...bottle it...its some record.

6 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Among the many tactical mistakes made by Kettlewell tonight, starting Miller instead of Halliday was one of them.

100%.

Was about to post this.

Surprised Halliday didn't start.

Miller is obv quality, but was always going to get bullied today.

Type of game that would have suited Halliday.

No doubt we will get the usual video from Kelly in tears, apologising blah blah blah...3rd choice Scotland keeper my arse. Wouldn't get third choice at Bellshill Amateurs. One thing I thought was blatantly obvious from the TV was that Kelly confidence appears absolutely shot. If the manager can't see that he needs a rest then he isn't a good manager at all because he looks done.

Edited by Well Well

Get Kelly benched. He's not here next season, is he f**k going to the Euros so there's nothing to gain from keeping him in the side. Give the Ox a chance to see if he can be no.1 for next season. 

We've got enough to stay up so after tonight it's season over. 

1 hour ago, Well Fan said:

Absolute naive performance. Shelling long to 1 up was criminal.

Looked so much better with Devine linking on right hand side. To little too late. 

Kettlewell got it badly badly wrong tonight. 

Scunnered. 

I agree , if the impressive Devine had been on earlier to link up with Spittal on the right I think you could have probably won it. 

Just back in to the hotel.

My oh my. Sometimes watching this team is plain and simply depressing. I am sure we must lose more games in the cup to lower leagues than we actually win v teams ranked above us. 

2 seasons in a row away to Championship level teams. Just not acceptable.

Nobody played well tonight. That may be down to having played midweek. But also down to a bang average stadium and pitch in poor weather which had it all set up for a shock so to speak.

But what tops it all and starts it all off is our International keeper who is as adept at commanding his box as a politician is at telling the truth. He is simply inadequate. It all stems from that utter abomination of an attempt at the corner. Not for the 1st time this season. 

Our Captain and highest earner. Literally the biggest con going this past few years. Sets the tone for the rest of the match. 

If we offer him any type of contract I will seriously consider going back to Fir Park. An utter Charlatan. He statistically has the worst save % in the league. Any other top flight keeper would have dealt with that better. I don’t dislike him as a person. Even the 2nd goal was atypical of the types of goals he has been conceding all season. Just out of reach 🤷‍♂️.

Tonight was a real low for me. I love this team and always will but I need to take a time out for a couple of months. Seriously harming my mental health 🤦‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

52 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Among the many tactical mistakes made by Kettlewell tonight, starting Miller instead of Halliday was one of them.

At least we now know Halliday, Devine, Vale and Nicholson need to start next game. 

I think that's being very wise after the event, we're were all thinking Miller would be our quality young player of the future,  and Halliday would be the solid backup.  Now you're wanting Halliday ahead of Miller ? 

I dunno.    I'd like to see more of Vale and Nicholson, but I'm not immediately convinced they're a gigantic improvement on what started on the pitch. Hope to be proven wrong about that.

I had the fear that given sk loves to keep his starting XI the same that he hadn't mixed it up / made as much use of subs as he could have over the last few games to stop him fielding a team that looked a bit worn out from the start. Didn't help that Beaton was pretty happy to let just about anything go as long as you stayed on your feet and none of our players looked like they fancied a scrap.  

Vale is adding to my opinion of " looks like he could be pretty good" after Tuesday , and Buyabu looks like he could be fun to watch. 

Edited by JamesP_81

Kelly must be a very strong character in the dressing room and Kettlewell is worried about losing the squad by dropping him and bringing on an almighty sulk. Either that or Oxborough is utter filth. It’s inexplicable that he keeps getting selected.

We have Kettlewell and Kelly for 14 more games. Tonight doesn’t sting me as much as it has others on here. I understand very much why it has but I’m more concerned about the league. We have been put out of the Scottish Cup for the last 33 years in a row. It’s nothing new sadly. We haven’t been relegated once in that same period. This holds untold consequences which, let’s face it, on tonights showing could be absolutely brutal for everything about the Club.

Once our fate has been secured for next season the Club need to quietly start looking for a new gaffer. Even if Kettlewell keeps us up we shake his hand and thank him for his time and efforts………but it’s move on time for everyone. It’s unthinkable that he takes charge of us on a new contract next season.