Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Liam Kelly. 3 (should have been 4) goals conceded. Zero saves of any consequence made. He did catch a corner but still

First season was great. Now I would take any keeper who had a pair of hands and above six foot over him.

4 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Incoming images from Motherwell defence training at Dalziel Park

Soccer GIF

That would be a tremendous fund raising idea. I’d pay a lot of money to charge at Liam Kelly in bubble football. 

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

You're certainly not but we've rattled through managers recently for various reasons and one of them is it's very hard to find a good one.

A new manager will either be someone who is inexperienced - which I believe everyone is against - or someone who has failed elsewhere.

And if we go for the latter, hoping he'll learn from his mistakes, why not stick with SK instead to see if he learns from his? He certainly has plenty in the plus column as well.

I definitely wouldn't renew him now but it's still very much 50-50 and his job to keep if we finish reasonably.

Do see where you're coming from, I just think Kettlewell has already shown he doesn't typically admit when he's got it wrong and hasn't done enough to allow us to change our approach, ie signing no wingers and about 40 full-backs. 

Last two performances, and results, have been completely on him and his inability to change things. 

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Liam Kelly. 3 (should have been 4) goals conceded. Zero saves of any consequence made. He did catch a corner but still

If there's ever been another GK performance as bad as that without actually being to blame for the goals I can't remember it.

Take him out the firing line for a couple of games even if he's still number one (big if ofc). He looks like he's walking on eggshells.

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Can't lie I'm about ten times more annoyed about that than Morton

Each to their own but not even close for me. Not close at all.

Losing an eminently winnable Scottish cup tie to a team with a lower budget at a game I attended and spent the best part of £200 (inc accommodation) v a decent away point against a team that have spent a small fortune on their squad. Even regardless of the circumstances.

If only we could sort out the Goalie and defence we would probably have made the top 6. Again everyone was concentrating on forward players when it was clear our biggest issues were the goalkeeper and central defence. Game after game that show up as clearly as ever. 

Everyone mentions how many games won in xx games. What actually matters is where we sit in the league. Right now we are 7th with a budget of 9th or 10th. Barring a collapse and fall back to one of the bottom 2 spots Kettlewell will be here next season and quite rightly imho. 

Edit to add - Theo Bair - what a man. Hats off. Probably the biggest surprise package of the season. Few saw it coming. Myself included. I reckon £2m transfer value as it stands 😉💰

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, SEETHING said:

Lads will your shower of miscellaneous journeymen be any good at Tynecastle on Saturday please? 

We could be, if we make changes and shore up the back but Hearts massive favourites without being bankers I would say.
If you played it ten times I think Hearts would win 6 or 7 times.

With 12 draws, we're now at our 2nd highest total since the 38 game league started in 2000 (with 13 games of the season to go). The only time we've drawn more was under Brown / Gannon in 2009/10, a stat which doesn't surprise me.

7 points clear of County and 13 points clear of tells me that it's growing more and more unlikely we will go down. We've lost one game in nine. Do you hear of teams going down with stats like that? I can't really remember hearing of teams in the thick of it in April and May because they'd drawn too many games.

My biggest annoyance is that we seemed more organised and resolute against St. Johnstone, Killie and Ross County, only to have seemingly undone all of that in the last week, with everyone back to being a quivering wreck every time the ball goes near our box.

Kelly was every ounce a man absolutely stripped of confidence tonight and as I said yesterday, it appears to rub off on those around him.

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Thought it was brilliant the way he steadied the ship immediately after Aberdeens second by booting it out for a throw under zero pressure 

My head detached from my shoulders with such velocity it ended up in the upstairs flat at that point. 

In game management is naive yet again. Graham Alexander wouldn't have thrown that match. 

Aberdeen changed formation and we never reacted. Other than shitting the bed defensively. 

Kelly can forget his Scotland place, which is part of Kettlewells loyalty towards him. The guy has no confidence and it permeates throughout the defence..

And McLean and Tosh are a couple of slevering prize plums. Two arseholes. 

I've a lot of things on over the summer.

Stuart Kettlewell being the Motherwell Manager when I get back from the Euros may move my season ticket renewal from the "when?" section to the "if" section.

5 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

In game management is naive yet again. Graham Alexander wouldn't have thrown that match

I think this is important. Morton showed a few days ago exactly what you do (grim as it is). 

In any case, we're not allowed nice things this season - it's the rules. 

8 minutes ago, Well Fan said:

In game management is naive yet again. Graham Alexander wouldn't have thrown that match. 

Aberdeen changed formation and we never reacted. Other than shitting the bed defensively. 

Kelly can forget his Scotland place, which is part of Kettlewells loyalty towards him. The guy has no confidence and it permeates throughout the defence..

And McLean and Tosh are a couple of slevering prize plums. Two arseholes. 

Alexander would go in a lead and chuck 10 defenders on.

Kettlewell goes behind and chucks 10 attackers on.

Some kind of crossover manager might be fun.

Answering the point - you are correct, Alexander looked to protect that lead which in the SPL is crucial to shitfesting up the table, not pretty but that's why we finished in the top six.