Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

How many people actually believe Weir will be leaving at the end of March?

The whole investment thing as mentioned is blocking the appointment of a new CEO so where and when does this resolve itself?

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

The whole investment thing as mentioned is blocking the appointment of a new CEO so where and when does this resolve itself?

Logically the earliest would be if a quick Society consultation says no to going under 50% and all the potential investors walk away.

Realistically autumn? After negotiations are done and options clear.

Which would again be ok, (though not ideal) if we hadn't just said last month DW and JM wanted out early this year.

But don't worry, the comms are fine!

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

f**k knows. So there's questions over the appointment of a CEO before investment, but there's questions as to whether investment would mean they appoint their own CEO. 

Clear as mud.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I spoke to him after Busta, I think he genuinely is done with it all. In the meeting he spoke about at SFA or SPFL meeting he attended with an eyeroll.

Douglas Dickie said afterwards over a sausage roll that there had to be a point where we bit the bullet and we appoint someone I guess any interested buyers would have to be told that regardless of their interest or plans. None of the two shows in town I'm led to believe are the answer.

I hope one is not Gerry Britton as muted.

1 minute ago, Wellwatcher said:

Financial gap each season is between 750K and 1 million

That's only if we finish 10th, get knocked out of both cups at the earliest opportunity and don't sell anyone, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

I spoke to him after Busta, I think he genuinely is done with it all. In the meeting he spoke about at SFA or SPFL meeting he attended with an eyeroll.

Douglas Dickie said afterwards over a sausage roll that there had to be a point where we bit the bullet and we appoint someone I guess any interested buyers would have to be told that regardless of their interest or plans. None of the two shows in town I'm led to believe are the answer.

I hope one is not Gerry Britton as muted.

I'm also not quite so convinced it'd be an absolute deal breaker for investors...key staff are there when you arrive and you either keep them or pay them off. I can't imagine it's anything they're not used to even if a recent addition obviously a little inconvenient.

On 04/08/2023 at 13:40, Desp said:

I'm not surprised.  Anyone who is remotely comparable to Alan Burrows will be wanting twice the salary than what's on offer.

We're going to need to take a punt on someone unproven, looking to make the next step up, just like Flow did.  What's the story with the guy who does the tannoy?  I like the cut of his jib.  Promote him to the top job, IMO. 

Canny wait for this to actually happen, btw.

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

That's only if we finish 10th, get knocked out of both cups at the earliest opportunity and don't sell anyone, isn't it?

Based on our budget reckoned to be about 11th or 12th finishing around 10th is a fair prediction. Cups wont bring in enough to make up the deficit and we have 1 sellable player. The Well Society is unlikely to make up the annual deficit with subs so I reckon without investment we should acept life in the Championship.

27 minutes ago, Wellwatcher said:

Based on our budget reckoned to be about 11th or 12th finishing around 10th is a fair prediction. Cups wont bring in enough to make up the deficit and we have 1 sellable player. The Well Society is unlikely to make up the annual deficit with subs so I reckon without investment we should acept life in the Championship.

Motherwell's budget is absolutely not going to be 11th or 12th in this league. Livingston and St Johnstone at the very least will be behind it. Probably Dundee and County too if the rumours are true about how much Kelly and O'Donnell are on.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Motherwell's budget is absolutely not going to be 11th or 12th in this league. Livingston and St Johnstone at the very least will be behind it. Probably Dundee and County too if the rumours are true about how much Kelly and O'Donnell are on.

Chat last night was that KVV’s wage would have been greater than Kelly, McGinn and Spittal combined. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

The ladies team and the Academy seem like obvious options. Both would be met with obvious angst. But let’s be honest any kid with any promise seems to be snapped up for peanuts by the bigger clubs long before we can realise a proper transfer fee. Bailey Rice being a case in point. 

The current Scottish Football Writers Player of the year came through our academy just last season.  

Meanwhile Lennon Miller, widely acknowledged to be one of the brightest young talents in Scotland, is contracted with us until 2026. Which, if the club play it right, should be another 7 figure fee received for an academy product to add to Turnbull and Scott in recent years.  

Not to mention what we got in compensation/fee’s for the likes of Hastie, Campbell, Johnston, Cornelius, McAlear and McKinstry etc. Or what a lot of these boys have contributed to the first team during their time at the club. 

We’ve always lost a few, always will- it’s the nature of the beast. However any plan going forward that involves cuts to or has a negative impact on the academy would be a major no no for me. 

Edited by Casagolda

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Probably not just now. But that looks like where all of this is headed without outside investment.

Certainly it looks like for the foreseeable future we would be unable to compete with every top flights side bar from maybe Livingston, St Johnstone and St Mirren. Dundee - not so sure. It is not clear where their money is coming from. St Johnstone could change if their future owner has deep pockets. 

If Livi go down and United come up. Then it makes it even tougher for next year assuming Ogren is not yet sick of losing millions of pounds per season. 

So yes it would appear relegation will happen sooner than later. I still think with our fan base we could be promoted but top 6 and Europe looks a long way away.

As for being in the Championship. I would renew my season ticket and continue to support Motherwell. I suspect that 80-90% would. The Q remains about what happens after a few seasons in the lower leagues. It might not affect the current fan base but would probably affect our ability to attract younger fans. 

Edited by welldaft