Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

So we're all looking forward to him absolutely cantering it in the Serie A?

I would love that and will die on the hill  in that is exactly how Davie T should have progressed.

He’s now regressed that much he can’t get a game for Cardiff ffs. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

On this; I've on occasion had my hair cut by Lee Miller

Locked in for the hair transformation, yet?  

Just now, wellboy1991 said:

I would love that and will die on the hill  in that is exactly how Davie T should have progressed.

100%. The obvious compare is Lewis Ferguson at Bologna. When they were both coming through I would have said Turnbull was the superior player, but watching Ferguson strolling round Serie A these days is tremendous. Also Bologna's a fucking brilliant city. 

This video is also excellent on the Scotland YouTube channel:

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

100%. The obvious compare is Lewis Ferguson at Bologna. When they were both coming through I would have said Turnbull was the superior player, but watching Ferguson strolling round Serie A these days is tremendous. Also Bologna's a fucking brilliant city. 

Hide contents

I think all Motherwell fans would have thought DT was far superior a player however not looking that way at all. It is class seeing Ferguson progressing even though I thought he was a fanny at Aberdeen.  I just think Turnbulls style and ability will have been perfect for Italy. Idiot wanting to stay in Scotland for a bird.

37 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I mean, expecting him to walk into the starting XI or off the bench within a month of arriving at a new club, with little to no match-fitness is a bit harsh. Also, he's had what, two(?) bad knee injuries which might be catching up with him.

There's a distinct possibility we'll come to the reality that as Motherwell fans we got to see the absolute best of DT.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I am definitely of the thought that a hybrid model of the society and outside investment is the best thing going forward. I have serious concerns about growth in the society. In thirteen years, surely there are very fine margins to be gained by new members?

This is the main thing. My sense of the Well Society is that we have a finite (and relatively small) group of supporters who would ever be a contributing member - and even if that includes exiled supporters and other folk that don't turn up to games - it's largely the same group who buy season tickets, strips and pies. There is a limit how often you can go the well </pun> with that same small-ish group. Brutally, it's probably a case of replacing existing members who pass away over time to keep the numbers stable.

I also get the sense just because of the demographics of our catchment area and support that it's mostly standard punters who are paying in every month - we don't have the sort of business community to call on that city clubs undoubtably have (I remember talking to some Odense supporters over there and they said that the local businesses chipped in a properly decent amount of money every year). Our sad situation is that a lot of businesses/owners in Lanarkshire wouldn't dream of looking near local clubs.

The other most impactful way to make a difference to our budget is for a small number of rich supporters to chip in some big (ie, six figure) amounts every year but I'm not sure if they actually exist in the way they might in Edinburgh or Aberdeen for example.

I couldn't make the AGM - but from what I've read the interest that we've had so far isn't philanthropic in any way - it's folk wanting to make money out of their investment and that makes me very sceptical about how a Hybrid thing would work. That sort of investment couldn't tolerate their business plan being fucked up by a supporters group who could veto stuff on emotional/non-business grounds. 

I think that the very best we could expect if we accept outside investment of the type that's seems to be happening would be that the society loses overall control but somehow gets & keeps the funding and rights to buy back the controlling shares when the investors leave (and that they take their debt with them) - and even that doesn't feel very achievable or realistic.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Locked in for the hair transformation, yet?  

Absolutely not. I've become a hat guy so I can then make the steady move to being a bald guy that wears hats. It's been working well so far.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Absolutely not. I've become a hat guy so I can then make the steady move to being a bald guy that wears hats. It's been working well so far.

Can I also recommend growing as thick a beard as possible to match said hat.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Reveal hidden contents

Said it on here before and had a bit of stick for it but I've always said Turnbull made the wrong move going to Celtic. Germany or Italy would have suited him perfectly. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Said it on here before and had a bit of stick for it but I've always said Turnbull made the wrong move going to Celtic. Germany or Italy would have suited him perfectly. 

Did he have offers from Germany or Italy?

I mean, I'd like to go out with Gigi Hadid...

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Very much a "Why didn't we sell Randolph for £1m?" comment, that one. 

Germany or Italy weren't on the table. Celtic or Norwich were.  From those options, and at 19/20 years old, he absolutely made the right move.  A bad injury 18 months in, followed by a shite set of circumstances out with his control, then led to it not working out.

There's still plenty of time for it to work out for him.  Give him a few months to get settled in at Cardiff and see how he gets on next season.

If you look at our conduct when it comes to contracts and our business they’ve generally been good and protected the club.

The only obvious outlier for me is sending Max out on loan in the last year of his deal. Who’s remit that clanger was should have been addressed last week.

What does concern me is with exit strategies already finalised there may be a desire to leave the club with a guaranteed income source over what may be perceived as “leaving the kids with the keys” for a potential income.

If things do get to a negotiating stage we really should not worry about how we fair when it comes to the small print. However, more so than any other negotiation, the direction we pursue with also have a healthy dose of personal legacy attached to it.

I've read a few comments on places talking about investments with WS maintaining control. This is the things dreams are made of. Free money almost.

Won't happen.

I agree that Turnbull's style probably is more suited to playing somewhere like Italy or Germany than it is for the rough and tumble of the Championship or the likes.

He might have only had concrete offers from Norwich or Celtic, but the "wee guy" in him probably made it clear to his agent from the get go that he didn't want to move far from home, so no feelers were put out. 

On the other hand, Johnston's agent probably new he fancied it abroad and was therefore pimping him out right, left and centre to European clubs.

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Did he have offers from Germany or Italy?

I mean, I'd like to go out with Gigi Hadid...

I am sure I've said similar in the past, for all the apparent interest in him, the only two acceptable offers we received were Celtic and Norwich, from memory. 

If you asked me then who I'd have chosen, Celtic is an absolute no brainer, going for 10, European football, staying close to your family v Norwich reserves which is where I am sure he was told he would start.

I think Turnbull was unfortunate as well with the timing, the success of Scots in Italy came maybe 6 months later, Hickey, Doig, Ferguson.

Now more often or not, when a young Scottish player comes through there seem's to be genuine interest from the continent off the back of the success of the one's mentioned above, Max getting his move to Austria, albeit slightly different as he was OOC, but 3-4 years ago I doubt that's a move that would have happened.

4 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I agree that Turnbull's style probably is more suited to playing somewhere like Italy or Germany than it is for the rough and tumble of the Championship or the likes.

He might have only had concrete offers from Norwich or Celtic, but the "wee guy" in him probably made it clear to his agent from the get go that he didn't want to move far from home, so no feelers were put out. 

On the other hand, Johnston's agent probably new he fancied it abroad and was therefore pimping him out right, left and centre to European clubs.

I’m beginning to wonder if the money we spend on the video would have been better spent on a retainer for Max’s agent to find us investment.

That guy is a hustler.

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

Can I also recommend growing as thick a beard as possible to match said hat.

Don't worry, I'm already very committed to this, I'm going to look mental when I whip the hair off.