Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If I'm feeling optimistic, I'd say that's a very positive interview. If it's true, he should understand our concerns and have a partnership where he can get some return while we protect ourselves. Alternatively if he says all that then still insists on 51% it would be quite the red flag. My only worry is some of our fans would happily hand over control based on an interview where he promises to be nice!

Have the same concerns too, said previously I thought voting to say majority could be an option wasn't the best approach, even in a hypothetical situation. Saying no to losing control would have chased away anyone looking for the whole club, either now or further down the line. We'll see what happens soon I suppose, but interesting bit of chat nonetheless. 

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah, you're not wrong in principle but football clubs, not just ours, have leaked like sieves for years and probably always will.

Except from what I've seen is the person doing the leaking has been talking the proposals down. I think that's a bit unfair. Particularly to the rest of us who don't know what's going on. 

With all the talk of making a return on his investment, who is to say that has to be a return via the club? He could see a return by selling rights to Motherwell FC: Welcome to the Rollercoaster around the world with the club benefitting from a shared of the media rights, the exposure and American shirt sales. No downside from our side but would fit in with the Well society keeping control and him not wanting to ruin the club for short term gain

4 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

With all the talk of making a return on his investment, who is to say that has to be a return via the club? He could see a return by selling rights to Motherwell FC: Welcome to the Rollercoaster around the world with the club benefitting from a shared of the media rights, the exposure and American shirt sales. No downside from our side but would fit in with the Well society keeping control and him not wanting to ruin the club for short term gain

Pmsl at welcome to the roller-coaster.

He could interview me... Hiding behind my hands since 1987

Edited by Wellin

2 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

I missed your earlier post on this in amongst all the nonsense since tbh. But good effort. 

Ha! Tbf it was in a big screed of my nonsense and there's clearly been a lot of other stuff going on since I posted that.

I also wasn't intending to make any grand claim, just point out something I'd read on the internet.

22 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

If you look at what happens with the Wrexham doc, the club has has massive jumps in all social media platforms and therefore attracted blue chip sponsors and big uplift in merch.

However Disney's deal is with The R.R. McReynolds Company, LLC (which according to Wrexham's website is owned equally by Rob McElhenney & Ryan Reynolds and as such, they are jointly the ultimate beneficial owners of 95% in Wrexham AFC Limited.) and is registered in Delaware in the US. So revenues for the TV show go direct to that. I have no idea how much that is but I'd imagine to be commensurate or in excess of the commercial uptake outlined above. Now how much of that is funnelled to the club is different but it would appear to the fans as benevolent when if it was a direct revenue stream it would not have any good PR attached.

Edited by Vietnam91

Has anyone on the board met this Barmack guy down the duchy with a pal for backup yet just to make sure it's no Craig Whyte catfishing us ?!

That interview certainly ticks a lot of boxes , is it just a guy who is clearly excellent at PR knowing the right things to say or do we genuinely have a good fit for all parties ? 

The first hurdle is that he's got an actual easily referenceable track record in business that doesn't seem to involve shady holding companies or the word "crypto" and (depending on your view of the US) he doesn't appear to be part of an oppressive regime. Secondly, he's happy to go on the record at this stage, say the right PR stuff and superficially address the obvious concerns many of us have about any potential investment.

Both of these are the easy parts - I think there is a long way to go before we know if this really makes sense - and if the money on offer is worth the conditions that it will come with...

Good start though...

3 hours ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

I'm not going to sit here and tell the Netflix guy how to make a documentary, but I have been thinking about this and wondering to myself how a BTS Motherwell documentary would be marketed.

I do enjoy those types of programmes and have watched most of them that are available. There seems to be the ones that follow really big clubs like Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Juve etc. Then the others that follow smaller clubs seem to have some kind of USP. 

Sunderland 'till I die was obviously targeted at them going straight back up, but they went down. 

Wrexham got bought by two actors and are trying to go through the divisions.

Fort William were the worst team in the world or whatever it was.

Real Kashmir had a pale, swearing ginger Scotsman in the Indian league.

I know people use the "rollercoaster" patter about us, but 40 years in the top flight and 33 years without a trophy probably dismisses that to an extent. One of those two ending would probably make a good documentary and I'd fear it would be the former!