Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW

Screenshot_20240418_181052_Chrome.thumb.jpg.54ba9146dcb485d10d94a8c7e4c1a895.jpg

Screenshot_20240418_181103_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ca691656df503a1e731caee9fc725858.jpg

Stuff like this drives me mental. 

I understand that defensively there's a million reasons and ways why you can be bad at this, whatever. If you aren't aiming to be at the top of the goals for column every year, then why not? You have 4 days a week to figure that out!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

💯 spot on with this imo. I’m a fan of the big guy but he has no poachers instinct. My one real criticism of him is the amount of balls fizzed across the box he is on his heels waiting on or crosses he waits on coming to him. He isn’t on his toes looking for two yards tap ins or throwing his body so balls hit of his knees/nuts etc. 

Pair him with a poacher say a Arnott/Moult type of player that’s a potent strike force. He needs to be more mobile at set plays and when crosses coming in. Hopefully something he can work on in the summer. 

I actually think it’s one area he’s really started to improve on.

If you watch his goal against St Mirren for example, once it goes to SODS at the back post Bair is the first one to anticipate it’s going to go back across goal. He attacks that space and subsequently bundles it in- he wasn’t doing that at the start of the season. Much like his movement for his goal at Pittodrie, you can see they’ve clearly been working on it. 

I suppose there’s a limit on what we can expect from a striker at our level. As much as Bair isn’t a natural poacher/goal scorer like a Moult or a Sutton, there’s also no danger those two would have had the pace and power to score his goal at Dens for example or chuck Golsdon and Souttar about up top on their own for 90 mins at Ibrox. If you could combine them, you’d have someone who wouldn’t be playing for Motherwell. 

I mean 13 goals and 4 assists from just 26 league starts is honestly a ridiculous return from a guy we all thought was going to be a cheap 4th choice option at the start of the season. If he finishes the season with a few more goals, I think he’ll have a fair bit of interest in him this summer. 

Edited by Casagolda

Buckled at the levels of scrutiny Bair has had compared to other Motherwell strikers over the years. We'll likely never sign complete players and he's been dynamite. Bair is also close to bettering Louis Moult's best ever league scoring season for us. 

Edited by MurrayWell

23 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Theo Bair to Bristol City for £750k + addons I’ve heard.

Maybe bollox. Good deal or not, not sure myself.

I mean, I'd probably take it if it's true but I'd honestly prefer him signing an extension and selling him next summer, provided he continues in the same run of form of course.

Edited by StAndrew7

10 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I mean, I'd probably take it if it's true but I'd honestly prefer him signing an extension and selling him next summer, provided he continues in the same run of form of course.

I'd certainly take it if true. 

I have been very surprised at how well he has done for us but every ounce of me thinks it's been a freak season and his goals won't be the same next season. 

5 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

I'd certainly take it if true. 

I have been very surprised at how well he has done for us but every ounce of me thinks it's been a freak season and his goals won't be the same next season. 

Why d'you think that? I would argue he's absolutely demonstrated why you should believe the opposite based on how he's developed, improved and clearly working hard on becoming a better striker.

Is that not about what we got for Scott from Hull? Scott was 4 or 5 years younger and probably looked a more natural footballer but never came anywhere close to the sort of form Theo has shown since Christmas. Unless it's the only concrete offer we get or Bair has indicated he 100% wants away I don't think we have much incentive to accept something like that now rather than hold out for £1m+ in Summer. 

I certainly wouldn't bite at the first offer and my preference would also be to extend him if possible...but if a hypothetical 750k becomes the best concrete offer on the table, I think we'll take that if he's going to see out his deal in 2025 and leave for free. And it'd be hard to argue with.

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Im going to head up as not been in a few years but £28 a ticket. Mental. 

I always go to Dingwall but the tickets have always been more expensive than most - ICT used to do the same. I think the logic is that you've spent a fortune getting there, what's another couple of quid?

Extend and continue under the only guy in Scottish football who seen something, potentially move to among our top earners many wages being freed up and if continuing knows we won’t stand in his way in January or next summer for a bigger reward or…

Head down south to an inevitable pay jump and an agent eager for his 20% but also a different environment.

While his numbers are impressive they pretty much start from late December, before that it wasn’t so pretty. Not saying he’s going to be another Hastie but he ended up a millionaire for a 5 month purple patch.

Bair is probably in a different position from our young players who we usually have the stay/go debate about. He's not a teenager - he's in the middle part of his career and any interest this summer may be seen by him (and especially his agent) as an unmissable chance.

I'd love to see him hang about but we all know the "Motherwell player has good season" story by now.

Just now, Swello said:

Bair is probably in a different position from our young players who we usually have the stay/go debate about. He's not a teenager - he's in the middle part of his career and any interest this summer may be seen by him (and especially his agent) as an unmissable chance.

There's certainly no argument if is desperate to bank the first cheque he sees.

Where he differs slightly to the 18-20-year-old in this position, they know if they have a bad movie they've time to get their development back on track.

He's 24, finally playing and scoring regularly, if he doesn't get regular time and wastes (in sporting, if not financial terms) 2-3 years, will he ever get this improvement window again? Probably not. 

Given that would probably also kill whatever chance he has of playing for Canada at a home World Cup, there's a strong argument that having sporting security to 2026 is no bad thing for him. Continue to improve like this and we sell him anyway; improve a little more and plateau and he'll get his freebie move a year later; worst case he's doubling his money and will fancy his chances of a home World Cup.

But aye... I suspect if that's the offer he'll be away and fair play to him.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I actually think it’s one area he’s really started to improve on.

If you watch his goal against St Mirren for example, once it goes to SODS at the back post Bair is the first one to anticipate it’s going to go back across goal. He attacks that space and subsequently bundles it in- he wasn’t doing that at the start of the season. Much like his movement for his goal at Pittodrie, you can see they’ve clearly been working on it. 

I suppose there’s a limit on what we can expect from a striker at our level. As much as Bair isn’t a natural poacher/goal scorer like a Moult or a Sutton, there’s also no danger those two would have had the pace and power to score his goal at Dens for example or chuck Golsdon and Souttar about up top on their own for 90 mins at Ibrox. If you could combine them, you’d have someone who wouldn’t be playing for Motherwell. 

I mean 13 goals and 4 assists from just 26 league starts is honestly a ridiculous return from a guy we all thought was going to be a cheap 4th choice option at the start of the season. If he finishes the season with a few more goals, I think he’ll have a fair bit of interest in him this summer. 

Absolutely agree with this. His strengths lie elsewhere which is why I think a poacher alongside him would work well and as mentioned above Vale should be that guy. 

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 2 post-split to take him to 15 for the season. I'm desperate for him to get to 16 and outscore Moult's best ever season just to have it as a weird stat to bring up every so often.

3 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

While his numbers are impressive they pretty much start from late December, before that it wasn’t so pretty. Not saying he’s going to be another Hastie but he ended up a millionaire for a 5 month purple patch.

He's 1 goal behind Miovski, who has played a lot more minutes - I wonder if Aberdeen fans are going on about it "was all scored before x month" 🤦‍♂️

He'll be your version of Sam Cosgrove. This'll be the highlight of his career, you'll get good money for him, then all the hard work to give him confidence will be blown by his next manager who tries to use him as a battering ram.

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

He's 1 goal behind Miovski, who has played a lot more minutes - I wonder if Aberdeen fans are going on about it "was all scored before x month" 🤦‍♂️

Oh geez peace, pretty much every one of us minus Ketts thought he was a dud till late December.