Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Either way, over the summer we clearly shed a ton of excess which I'm not sure Saints did (you'll know better than me)

We got rid of some big earners, like Jamie Murphy, David Wotherspoon, and Melker Hallberg, but yeah most of the overpaid/big earners are still here and we won't be free of them until this Summer (Nicky Clark will remain for another year, and I pray theres a clause to reduce his contract if we go down but we genuinely might not).

MacLean was on a 3yr deal so yeah we likely still pay him for 2yrs as hes not likely to get another managers job. Levein/Kirk are on 3yr deals too and just now its hard to see them seeing next season out. So likely we'll be paying 3 managers next season. Technically we were paying that this season too as Davidsons contract was until 2025, but theres rumours he waived that when he was sacked, and it should be nulled now hes got another job anyway but again, f**k knows what the club will have agreed.

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Clearly these are overall costs so it's a question of how the budget is split. IIRC the chat at our AGM was that it was 50/50 between playing budget and administrative staff (I know @StAndrew7 was also there and paying more attention than me). Either way playing budget and overall budget are two completely different things - this was brought up earlier in the season when folk were clutching their pearls about us having "spent more" in wages than Killie during the time we've been fan owned and the same people still bumped against this despite it being (correctly) pointed out that Killie aren't reporting the same costs as us so you can't make a direct 1:1 comparison (although it didn't stop certain people).

Yup, it was 50/50 split towards team costs and off field costs and, I think, caveated with the team costs including the managerial/coaching team as well.

11 hours ago, capt_oats said:

As others have said, without wanting to speak for anyone else, I think this is almost certainly the case. The whole CEO saga being a case in point - this entire season has been defined by the interim-ness of it all.

This bit is it for me.  To have done as (relatively) well as we have is actually quite notable.

If our staff costs were £5 million last season and it was a 50/50 split between playing and non-playing costs does that mean the cost on the football side was £2.5 million? Amongst what must have been 40 - 50 employees doesn't seem that outrageous. An average wage of £50,000 - £62,500 based on those numbers? That probably does show it was volume of players rather than available weekly wage that was driving it up.

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If our staff costs were £5 million last season and it was a 50/50 split between playing and non-playing costs does that mean the cost on the football side was £2.5 million? Amongst what must have been 40 - 50 employees doesn't seem that outrageous. An average wage of £50,000 - £62,500 based on those numbers? That probably does show it was volume of players rather than available weekly wage that was driving it up.

There will also be payments to outgoing staff as well; Alexander was on gardening leave for a considerable period, too.

20 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

There will also be payments to outgoing staff as well; Alexander was on gardening leave for a considerable period, too.

Yeah, we'd basically have been paying two managers from August - February, then three from February to May. I imagine Lucketti and Kerr were probably still getting paid too. As much as a lot of the spend came from poor decisions from within the club, it's good that there is that context, rather than us just chucking money about.

Part of me did want to question why the other side of the business costs £2.5 million, but that sounds exactly like the question someone who is ignorant to what it takes to run a football club would ask.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

There's a breakdown of average number of staff in the accounts. I'd guess that the 50/50 split is perhaps where we are *now* rather than where we were last season?

So last season apparently saw 47 players (up from 41 the previous season) plus 17 "football staff" up from 13 in 2022:

Screenshot2024-05-13at11_53_13.thumb.png.708fe6b7427bb14caa36f8f632d1f679.png

Edited by capt_oats

38 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I'm not about to pretend I'm ITK but this fella must be a terrible footballer to not have even managed a minute. 

Don't think I ever saw him in the flesh. 

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did he not score against you all the time for Hamilton?

Aye the wee bassa was regularly on the scoresheet for a couple of seasons before he went down south. Always played a blinder as well. Him and Dougie pants Imrie.

Im assuming from the comments on your thread that he’s been honking?