Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

As one of the older gnomes in claret and amber, I remember when the Club was REALLY at death's door.

EB has made a proposal and most folks don't like - fairy nuff.

It's like being in the Persian market where the seller offers the hashish for 100 zogs, you offer 25, then you haggle to reach a compromise suitable to both parties.

EB's offer is on the table but don't necessarily reject it (or him) right away. Get someone knowledgable about economics to draft an alternate propsal. Put that forward, see what he comes back with. If he is really keen he will also be flexible.

Now, where's that hashish?

1 minute ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I believe it's nestling between those savage breasts in the corner.

15 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

The letter from him and his wife on the club website says they'd be looking to source/bring in additional investors and in the process dilute their own shareholding; I would imagine the plan is to add revenue and value to the club and sell those shares for a higher price than they paid?

WS have done some due diligence on this deal and the EB charm offensive may be compelling, but ultimately the shares could be transferred to anyone without the input of WS or the fans.

6 years isn’t a long time in Scottish football, we could lose the club before Davor gets a cap.

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

So is Dickie doing a Douglas Ross and Clinging on to one of his roles rather than vacate them all?

In fairness, at least he didn't wait to see how the vote went before choosing.

5 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

As one of the older gnomes in claret and amber, I remember when the Club was REALLY at death's door.

EB has made a proposal and most folks don't like - fairy nuff.

It's like being in the Persian market where the seller offers the hashish for 100 zogs, you offer 25, then you haggle to reach a compromise suitable to both parties.

EB's offer is on the table but don't necessarily reject it (or him) right away. Get someone knowledgable about economics to draft an alternate propsal. Put that forward, see what he comes back with. If he is really keen he will also be flexible.

But that person shouldn't be Jim McMahon, Tom Feeley, or Douglas DIckie. Time is up gents, grab your lifetime season ticket and vacate the premises. 

I am hopeful this proposal will get the society into action and actually drive change at the club. we need fresh new blood to drive us forward.

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

WS have done some due diligence on this deal and the EB charm offensive may be compelling, but ultimately the shares could be transferred to anyone without the input of WS or the fans.

6 years isn’t a long time in Scottish football, we could lose the club before Davor gets a cap.

I don't mean to be patronising, but that's kind of how it works now, too; anyone can sell their shares to anyone when they want to, other than the Society (I think?!).

The way to get around it, if this does go ahead, is to ensure the "German Model" is what's incorporated into the club legislation; i.e. no-one other than a combination of private fans/WS can own more than 51% of the club, or go the whole hog and say the WS has to have at least 51%.

And aye, or Bair gets his next one at this rate.

Edited by StAndrew7

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Based on what we've now seen I don't think it's a particularly great leap to make to suggest that the WS has actually been stymied in what it's been able to do by the likes of McMahon, Dickie and Feeley.

Which is something that a lot of the 'what have you done for me lately?' crowd would do well to consider when they're taking shots at the WS.

Clap GIF

Edited by StAndrew7

12 minutes ago, Bobbybingo said:

In fairness, at least he didn't wait to see how the vote went before choosing.

Yeah, he's now shown he has no interest in the Society. Fair play for not pretending he has any longer. 

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'd respectfully suggest that it's less the proposal that could get the WS into action and more the likes of McMahon, Dickie and Feeley being removed from the equation.

The brief statement attributed to Dickie yesterday pretty much makes concrete the entirely backward situation that we've been in which has seen an Executive board working to its own agenda which in Dickie's own words doesn't 'align' with that of the WS (the majority shareholder/owner of the club).

It's often been hinted at but I'd say that what played out yesterday largely confirms that the Executive Board of the club were entirely happy to pay lip service to 'fan ownership' without wanting to actually act in service of it.

Based on what we've now seen I don't think it's a particularly great leap to make to suggest that the WS has actually been stymied in what it's been able to do by the likes of McMahon, Dickie and Feeley.

Which is something that a lot of the 'what have you done for me lately?' crowd would do well to consider when they're taking shots at the WS.

yes yes yes.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'd respectfully suggest that it's less the proposal that could get the WS into action and more the likes of McMahon, Dickie and Feeley being removed from the equation.

The brief statement attributed to Dickie yesterday pretty much makes concrete the entirely backward situation that we've been in which has seen an Executive board working to its own agenda which in Dickie's own words doesn't 'align' with that of the WS (the majority shareholder/owner of the club).

It's often been hinted at but I'd say that what played out yesterday largely confirms that the Executive Board of the club were entirely happy to pay lip service to 'fan ownership' without wanting to actually act in service of it.

100 times yes. And the WS board should be moving immediately to remove them all from power, appoint a new board and stall this whole thing pending proper strategic review of the business. 

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Can only join the appreciation of this, excellent points, well made.

Just trying to work out what'll be considered the greatest rags to riches story of our time?

• 'Flow going from running the 'WellTrust forums to working his way up the ladder at Fir Park to become Chief Executive?

OR

• @capt_oats going from posting YouTube highlights of random Serbian, North Macedonian and EFL2 Jobbers in The Thread to officially opening the John Hunter Stand Pakora Hut in his new role as MFC Chairman?

Post of the year, Capt!  Well done my friend.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The best thing that could come out of this carry on is if it results in the old fellas in the boardroom get launched into orbit like they are Team Rocket. 

We can revisit this investment stuff after that. 

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Just to add an additional point to my shiaapplause.gif, it really does feel like the negotiations have been led by/are with the entirely wrong people. I can't help but think if the WS/Caldwell had been leading things (or at the very least, far more involved in the process than they have been), we'd have gotten to an entirely more palatable outcome for, y'know, the fans and the club as a whole.

Instead, we've got what some dithering old men who fancy themselves as better than us have come up with to provide their "legacy" to the club, because they feel like they deserve to leave in a blaze of their own self-importance.

Not that I'm entirely up for storming the gates this afternoon, but does anyone happen to have the Society and club by laws detailing the required processes and timescales for a revolution? Just curious.

Are the existing board members all shareholders (I assume they are) and to what extent? Are they the largest shareholders after WS? Even a modest shareholding allied to EB's proposed 49% would give him/them free rein as they seem to be fully behind his proposals. 

1 hour ago, StAndrew7 said:

The letter from him and his wife on the club website says they'd be looking to source/bring in additional investors and in the process dilute their own shareholding; I would imagine the plan is to add revenue and value to the club and sell those shares for a higher price than they paid?

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

Scottish football, simply put, outside of the big two, is not a profitable enterprise and never will be 

For my sins I've worked with a number of venture capital companies over the years, whose model involves acquiring, funding, growing and then selling on companies of various sorts. One very conspicuous absence from all their portfolios is sports teams of any flavour, let alone Scottish football teams. They're simply not profitable enough and/or too much of a risk or for that sort of step growth approach.

That's not to say there aren't other ways to create value, and EB has sketched out a few possibilities already - but, aye, he's not getting an invite to the next Davos World Economic Forum off the back of this exercise.