Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Wellin said:

My mum is a member of the well society and is very computer literate but doesn't have an account on here or on SOL. I suspect a lot of people will be in the same situation. 

Aye but how is she voting?

1 hour ago, CoF said:

I'd like to hear a well society representative speak on Sportsound or Clyde SSB to generate more widespread coverage of not only the society's position, but to shed some light on the farce that is the executive board. I know those programmes are not for everyone these days, but it's a chance to reach a demographic who aren't particularly online.

I think going on and speaking about it is a good idea. I doubt they'd take potshots at the Exec board, not until it's all sorted at least.

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

There is no rational and sane reason for voting for this Barmack proposal.  I can only assume that those in favor of it haven't read it, or just hate the Well Society.

The only argument I ever see on Twitter seems to some people thinking it'll guarantee you a trophy and challenging the top six, as if £300k is some incredible income.

We raked in about £2.5m in one transfer window a few years ago and have fought relegation since. Money means nothing if you don't spend it well, and by the looks of it your club outgoings will rocket under yer man's stewardship.

I appreciate the opposition obviously weren't great, and it's not the best view as it seems we're still insiting on filming things in a hyper-zoom directorial style known as "Insta Maw filming her weans on the swings", but Lennon Miller at 0:25.....he's such a natural.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The only argument I ever see on Twitter seems to some people thinking it'll guarantee you a trophy and challenging the top six, as if £300k is some incredible income.

We raked in about £2.5m in one transfer window a few years ago and have fought relegation since. Money means nothing if you don't spend it well, and by the looks of it your club outgoings will rocket under yer man's stewardship.

In general, I'm never convinced that extra one-off money for makes much difference at all our level. I assume St Johnstone will budget similarly to us, so what appears a sudden windfall like that has probably been planned for while pushing the boat out a little previously and some needs held back to cover future stutters. Every agent of current or future players then asks for 20% more and that's it pretty much done...

10 hours ago, CoF said:

I'd like to hear a well society representative speak on Sportsound or Clyde SSB to generate more widespread coverage of not only the society's position, but to shed some light on the farce that is the executive board. I know those programmes are not for everyone these days, but it's a chance to reach a demographic who aren't particularly online.

Not quite the same but Jay joined me yesterday for a terrace pod that'll be out... shortly.

13 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I wonder if it's a generational thing, more than a social media thing?

Folk of my age saw all manner of stupid plans blow up from various clubs like ourselves, Clydebank/Airdrie United, Livi, Gretna, a couple of Dundee's, so I'd say if you're in your 30s, you've probably got a very healthy level of scepticism towards any new owner/scheme because of these.

If you're in your teens or early twenties, you saw Rangers pop but broadly aside from that, almost everyone else has been faintly sensible for a while, so maybe you don't have that?

Agree on the generational thing but I also think it's a cultural thing.

You probably have a cohort of Motherwell fans in that teens/twenties demographic whose perception of football has largely been informed by Sky and 24 hour rolling news where the predominant narrative has been about spending money.

It doesn't really matter that the English leagues have a raft of absolute basket-case clubs - you have a section of the fanbase who are quietly furious that we aren't chucking money around because that's what football clubs are expected to do.

I've said this before but there's an expectations vs reality situation at play.

As @Swello mentioned there's clearly an element of those who have always been massively negative towards the Society because they have various biases but equally I think there's a group at the moment who are simply showing enthusiasm toward this because they're focusing on what they *think* the deal is rather than what it actually is and the club are quite happy not to correct them.

Even Derek Weir at the AGM was clear that this "investment" is in no way "transformative" yet you've got a collection of simps in Facebook groups and across other platforms who seem to have convinced themselves that it's some sort of game changer.

There's presumably a belief that this will, at a stroke, fix all their complaints about the football club when the reality is we'll still sell Theo Bair, Lennon Miller or whoever our next best player to come along is, we still wouldn't have chucked the money Killie did at KVV for his 6 months paternity leave.

TL;DR - People are fucking stupid.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Even Derek Weir at the AGM was clear that this "investment" is in no way "transformative" yet you've got a collection of simps in Facebook groups and across other platforms who seem to have convinced themselves that it's some sort of game changer.

They're also being willfully naive on Barmack being so hilariously vague in just how he plans to make money from us. Which is not to say he has anything truly nefarious planned but I'd find it much easier to trust an outsider who was honest about how they intended to profit from owning us - we can then weigh up pros and cons over whether it's a win win or not.

EB has claimed he doesn't intend to take anything out in the initial years and has no exit strategy for selling up. So you're left with option 1, he's basically clueless and doing this on a whim, or option 2, he's lying. And the only reason to lie is if he thinks we'll find the truth very unpalatable.

The outgoing chairman (I think, perhaps it was Weir) said at the AGM this wasn't a philanthropic bid...which is fine. But jumping into a deal where you know the guy is taking out more than he put in,  in circumstances  and timing of his choosing unknown to us, is another mark in the 'fucking mental, why are we doing this?!' column.

You can't convince me that a lot of the support for this doesn't come from panicking that we've been pretty shit on the park recently. If last season we had, had the season that St Mirren or Killie did then this bid would be laughed back to America near enough unanimously, a lot of it (in my opinion) comes down to people wrongly thinking that fan ownership is somehow to blame for our poor performances in the league and cups.

Posted (edited)

Outside looking in here and probably have missed out on lots of it but one of the main 'selling' points (re: investment/takeover) appears to be the fear of the ability to absorb losses in the event of relegation in the current model? Given that they are struggling to front the cash up front and want to do it over a period of time it would suggest they aren't exactly cash rich themselves so I'm really struggling to see any benefits of these guys ruling the roost? Or am I missing something?

Edited by gannonball

England is fucking mental. Not that John Ruddy has failed so to speak, but there is a massive "fail upwards" feel to that. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Outside looking in here and probably have missed out on lots of it but one of the main 'selling' points (re: investment/takeover) appears to be the fear of the ability to absorb losses in the event of relegation in the current model? Given that they are struggling to front the cash up front and want to do it over a period of time it would suggest they aren't exactly cash rich themselves so I'm really struggling to see any benefits of these guys ruling the roost?

In fairness, the staging of the "investment" was covered as being a choice in the *lengthy* clarification Jim McMahon posted up on the official site.

Again, massive pinch of salt given that the whole thing is heavily pass-agg. If you read the full thing (which was subsequently subject to amendments 2 days later) he's clearly fucking furious:

The investment proposal requires the Well Society to invest further sums to the club and as equity rather than an increase in its loan.

This is also why the investment is being done in instalments over 6 years.

If Erik Barmack invested all of his near £2m investment at the very beginning, then to avoid him becoming the majority shareholder the Well Society would need to almost match his investment at the same time.

The Well Society does not have the cash reserves to do this hence the agreement to stage the investment over six years.

So really, the way they're trying to spin it is that they're *actually* doing the WS a favour here.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, JayMFC said:

Oh no.

Oh yes.

Erudite, totes profesh and covers off all of the main points made on The Thread and concerns which a lot of us have. Well done!