Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I looked at FB.

I have the fear.

Aye. It's generally the same folk but it's depressing to see folk falling for McMahon's narrative.

This guy for example has convinced himself by speculating that we'll post £1.5m losses...now I maybe wasn't paying that close attention but that isn't what was projected at the AGM (@StAndrew7 can perhaps confirm).

Screenshot2024-07-05at20_24_52.thumb.png.664317b1c6ca4d8b3dd128bcb6505994.png

14 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I made a couple of comments on Facebook, as I feel that we're pretty much on the same page here. I tend to come across as a c**t when fighting my corner though, so we could do with some of the diplomatic types on there.

I've avoided Motherwell Facebook/Twitter for years but took to heart someone's point about not just talking among ourselves and venturing out to engage those with another opinion. I don't quite know if it's pointless but I certainly don't think I'll convert anyone - if someone starts from a fundamentally incorrect basis and has their mindset built from there, detailed logic has little impact.

I live and work in the USA, and I have to explain to folk that Im from trainspotting scotland, not Braveheart/Outlander scotland.

My colleagues exclusively talk about the English premier league when it comes to soccer, and know about motherwell through me, and thought the investment video was hilarious and cringe. They couldn't care less about the USL team in the city, Memphis 901 (with Stephen glass as manager) who are actually half decent. The people who do care, cosplay as ultras and copy songs off the telly. They're allowed Pyro though, and there's memphis BBQ nachos.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. It's generally the same folk but it's depressing to see folk falling for McMahon's narrative.

This guy for example has convinced himself by speculating that we'll post £1.5m losses...now I maybe wasn't paying that close attention but that isn't what was projected at the AGM (@StAndrew7 can perhaps confirm).

Whaaaaaaaaat.

Break even this season, perhaps make a slight profit. £1.5million is wild.

21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I've avoided Motherwell Facebook/Twitter for years but took to heart someone's point about not just talking among ourselves and venturing out to engage those with another opinion. 

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. It's generally the same folk but it's depressing to see folk falling for McMahon's narrative. This guy for example ...

Oh no, I'm not going down the Facebook rabbit hole again, my sanity is hanging by the slenderest of threads after yesterday's foray. I'm intrigued by this one, though, does anyone know off the top of their heads what constitutes a "Top Fan"? (My initial speculation based on the quality of the posts was that it was a slightly pish abbreviation for "Top Fanny", but I'm willing to stand corrected.)

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

See aw this utter pish, the constant references to Ryan Reynolds at Wrexham, if Google is to be believed - (I know!) - Ryan Reynolds has a net worth of about $350m...

The bold Erik has already stated on this board, he can't afford the, less than, £2m up front...

It's not even comparable...!

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

See aw this utter pish, the constant references to Ryan Reynolds at Wrexham, if Google is to be believed - (I know!) - Ryan Reynolds has a net worth of about $350m...

The bold Erik has already stated on this board, he can't afford the, less than, £2m up front...

It's not even comparable...!

He might be closer to a billionaire, he recently sold Mint Mobile (he had a 25% or so stake in it) to T-Mobile for over a billion.

Anyone making Wrexham comparisons with our deal is going ro be very very disappointed.

Edited by rowsdower

Posted (edited)

Did Hearts not do a behind the scenes documentary a few years ago (maybe with BBC Scotland?) that no one watched or gave a shit about?

Edited by dezz

31 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This fella is talking about his company selling extra shares to guys who 'smash targets and boost profits' so, on the face of it, seems to work in a sales or marketing environment whereby he should be able to spot a bullshitter with the vaguest of vague plans a mile away. Instead he's actually buying into it. Unbelievable, and impossible to persuade these people otherwise. And he wants to chuck Erik even more shares in bonuses if he can hit marketing KPI's. Fucking lunatic. 

28 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Oh no, I'm not going down the Facebook rabbit hole again, my sanity is hanging by the slenderest of threads after yesterday's foray. I'm intrigued by this one, though, does anyone know off the top of their heads what constitutes a "Top Fan"? (My initial speculation based on the quality of the posts was that it was a slightly pish abbreviation for "Top Fanny", but I'm willing to stand corrected.)

It's like being a reply guy on Twitter and Instagram but for boomers.

One of the themes on Facebook and X seems to be the belief that is often found among Scottish people that their own are largely incapable of doing as well as someone from overseas.

The gentleman quoted above is happy to hand the keys to the "professional business guy" from LA who has zero idea of the niche product that Scottish football is, but looks like he is fairly dismissive of the experience held by the Well Society board and those assisting them.

It's like the headlines we see in the newspapers that talk about "Hollywood tycoons" and "LA-based business mogul" and so on. 

I even saw someone refer to Barmack as a billionaire.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I looked at FB.

I have the fear.

I do still have the fear but I spent 20-30 mins replying back  and forth with a guy accusing me of talking nonsense for not agreeing with EB is a successful business man with more money than the society.

Quick Look at his profile… Sevco fan.

not all these people saying they will vote for the plan are society members or indeed are Motherwell fans!

I've also seen @Erik Barmack lurking in this thread multiple times today.

Erik, you've yet to answer my questions regarding the payment penalties for the Society should they not hit the targets set for them.

Feel free to answer here, or DM me and we can jump on a call to discuss. I'm on the east coast so timezone isn't a problem.

53 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Whaaaaaaaaat.

Break even this season, perhaps make a slight profit. £1.5million is wild.

Obviously wasn't at the AGM as we were told breakeven-ish

KVV sale and promotion bonus, 9th, cup tie shown on BBC and Max/Dean compo money.

Just now, steelmen said:

not all these people saying they will vote for the plan are society members or indeed are Motherwell fans!

This is true. I've seen a few Rangers fans saying they are "winding folk up" because we voted to send them down years ago.

11 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

This fella is talking about his company selling extra shares to guys who 'smash targets and boost profits' so, on the face of it, seems to work in a sales or marketing environment whereby he should be able to spot a bullshitter with the vaguest of vague plans a mile away. Instead he's actually buying into it. Unbelievable, and impossible to persuade these people otherwise. And he wants to chuck Erik even more shares in bonuses if he can hit marketing KPI's. Fucking lunatic. 

He describes himself on his Facebook profile as a "Digital Creator", a self-styled job title I usually treat with the same contempt as "Influencer" or "HR Professional".

2 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

He describes himself on his Facebook profile as a "Digital Creator", a self-styled job title I usually treat with the same contempt as "Influencer" or "HR Professional".

Sounds like he should be on Love Island.