Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

They also did a deep red/claret one called "Fir Park Dress" 20 years ago but I think that's gone, now.

9 hours ago, Desp said:

Will be closer to 30 years now.  I remember wearing it as a kid at a wedding, probably 94/95ish? It was horrific as well.

My dad wore this one at my auntie's wedding in 2000. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

Do people put the extra letters in their name on Facebook so that people can't find them?

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think a lot of teachers etc do it so folk can't find them.

My name's spelled incorrectly there as on here. As well as avoiding colleagues/customers/the Colin's I went to school with, companies you send a CV to will also trawl fb for your profile. They don't need to know about me posting music lyrics at 1am or my hundreds of gig photos. I have one friend that's a teacher that uses a nickname too, he did change it after some of his early primary parents tried to add him. Said they didn't need to see him being a "bitchy gay" and drunk impulse buying on eBay.

Edited by AnderooMFC

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

And this laddie is just legitimately psychotic.

Screenshot2024-07-18at19_35_32.thumb.png.4dd5ffdc16a8d9d5919d665c7134dd9d.png
Screenshot2024-07-18at19_35_55.thumb.png.a46ecd647169d086ecc55428a683f204.png

...what money thrown at a campaign? :lol:

What on earth are you talking about?!

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

That takes a narrow second place behind the boy who wondered why new investors weren't confirmed already after the executive spent the ytd trying to sell us to someone else. Actually, make that a distant second place.

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

It’s what spending all hours liking motivational memes and watching sped up videos of folk jetwashing things* does to your mind. 

The WS used some really effective campaigning techniques of the type you normally see from political parties and unions - but they weren’t exactly paying for billboards and targeted Facebook ads (or else ddddrewwww would have been 100% on board with the WS)

When someone does a long read (or feature length podcast) about all of this once the dust has settled, smart communications Vs the 3000 word statement (to be read with a huge sigh at the beginning) is going to be a part of it. One side got its message out to the point that even dddddrewwwwwww couldn’t ignore it and one side got a tweet from Andrew Wilson.

as opposed to spending all hours watching slowed down videos of Lionel Ainsworth which actually makes you smarter.

I just realised I actually know a guy I worked with who is friends with Ddreww on Facebook, who appears to be of very similar demographic, or what I assume to be similar.

Mid-to-late 60's, shouty voice, very opinionated, with some pretty wild takes, doesn't react well to counter-argument.

To the extent that I now hear Ddreww's posts in the guy I know's always loud, shouty voice!

Edited by KirkySuperSub
I missed an apostrophe!

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That takes a narrow second place behind the boy who wondered why new investors weren't confirmed already after the executive spent the ytd trying to sell us to someone else. Actually, make that a distant second place.

Quite sensational to see someone (apparently unironically) agreeing with him on The WS Facebook.

I mean honestly, don't read the comments and all that, but equally this is what they're up against and while I definitely think there's a huge issue in so much as a not insignificant section of the support genuinely don't understand how the Football Club is structured there's also a certain demographic who don't actually *want* to understand.

You could explain in the simplest possible terms and they still wouldn't get it...

Screenshot2024-07-19at09_10_00.thumb.png.711a1c10275721b08aeee7dc8f2e9c54.png

Anyway I noticed that boy continued asking these important questions over on the Club Facebook.

Screenshot2024-07-19at09_04_00.thumb.png.8b0e81f7f935f9495f3b9a8f0675d198.png

Also, Kieran Maguire just Tweeted this. I'm genuinely quite amused at his inadvertent role in all this. Similarly, if an absolute trip to think how much pushback to the Barmack deal came from his decision to start posting on here.

17 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I just realised I actually know a guy I worked with who is friends with Ddreww on Facebook, who appears to be of very similar demographic, or what I assume to be similar.

Mid-to-late 60's, shouty voice, very opinionated, with some pretty wild takes, doesn't react well to counter-argument.

To the extent that I now hear Ddreww's posts in the guy I know's always loud, shouty voice!

I'm going to assume it's this business expert.  So good at running things, he didn't put his agreements in writing and lost his pub... No wonder he's an angry man.

A VETERAN publican has been left in ‘shock’ after being evicted from the pub that he and his wife have run for nearly 24 years.

Drew and Allison Ruthven of The Salmon Leap in East Kilbride were informed by landlord Rosemount Taverns that their lease would not be renewed when it expired at the end of last month.

A notice to quit was issued to the couple in November, but Drew told SLTN that he had been given assurances by the pub company that the lease would be renewed.

Emails seen by SLTN – dated December – mentioned a new rent agreement and a planned refurb of the pub. However, no formal lease agreement was produced.

In January, just a couple of weeks before the end of the current lease, the Ruthvens were informed that the lease was not to be renewed.

“There was a new lease agreed,” said Drew. “It was never signed but it was agreed – to follow on from the old one.

“We were to continue to trade from the function rooms upstairs during the refurbishment, which was going to take two months. Everything was hunky dory, going ahead. The last meeting we had was Wednesday of last week. We left it at that.

“That meeting went ahead. On the Thursday I got an email from (the company) to say they were withdrawing the offer of a new lease.

“As far as I’m concerned, although the lease wasn’t signed, it was agreed in principle, verbally and through emails.”

Going on from @capt_oats about people's lack of understanding of the process (of how the club is run, what this takeover deal actually meant), I do think it's more than them not choosing to understand it, I think it's a case that a great many can't understand it, because they're simply not intelligent enough.

Social Media has been around long enough now to know that people who constantly engage with things like business pages on Facebook ("av been on the waiting list fur 6 year...where's ma 4-bedroom hoose?") aren't the most intelligent people in the world.  So when you see the same names on the MFC Facebook pages week after week, spouting various levels of nonsense over and over again, it's basically just a reflection on them.  It's probably a vent in someway to try and make themselves feel more important, or simply to try and be heard.  Having go after go at at folk on the WS Board?  I imagine it's just jealousy deep down.  Jealous that these people have achieved something they themselves will never have the skills or bravery to do themselves.  Rather than celebrate someone fairly like them (a normal punter from the stands) excelling and putting themselves into positions to make changes, the green-eyed monster appears and they align themselves with the very people who look down on them and got us into this mess in the first place.

TL:DR version - it's that "that foreigner is trying to steal YOUR cookie" meme in Motherwell terms, isn't it?

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'm going to assume it's this business expert.  So good at running things, he didn't put his agreements in writing and lost his pub... No wonder he's an angry man.

Right, got you now - I'll admit to that going over my head your last reply!

😆🙈

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I haven't kept up with Motherwell Facebook since Well Fans 2 had a splinter group form Well Fans 3

YARN | Splitter! | Life of Brian (1979) | Video gifs by quotes | 00f1390a |  紗

It’s the same mindset that feels the need to trot out the Flow was a glorified teaboy whenever they can.

Ignoring that successive chairmen at two clubs, the entire press corp and by acceptance of capability and mutual admiration by his peers in the industry.

They’ll go in hard on some who wears jeans and a t-shirt to the game over a suit and tie as if it’s a true arbiter. It’s been clearly demonstrated that running your own business and having x years of experience counted for zero in the last few months.

Even now when some of them see how KVV did at a Killie will still hold on to the idea we should have pushed the boat out because we would have got him scoring.

There’s an inability for too many to hold their hands up and admit they got something wrong over doubling down sadly.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It’s what spending all hours liking motivational memes and watching sped up videos of folk jetwashing things* does to your mind. 

The WS used some really effective campaigning techniques of the type you normally see from political parties and unions - but they weren’t exactly paying for billboards and targeted Facebook ads (or else ddddrewwww would have been 100% on board with the WS)

When someone does a long read (or feature length podcast) about all of this once the dust has settled, smart communications Vs the 3000 word statement (to be read with a huge sigh at the beginning) is going to be a part of it. One side got its message out to the point that even dddddrewwwwwww couldn’t ignore it and one side got a tweet from Andrew Wilson.

as opposed to spending all hours watching slowed down videos of Lionel Ainsworth which actually makes you smarter.

Are there videos available of Lionel Ainsworth jet-washing? Preferably in slow-motion. 

Asking for a friend. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Going on from @capt_oats about people's lack of understanding of the process (of how the club is run, what this takeover deal actually meant), I do think it's more than them not choosing to understand it, I think it's a case that a great many can't understand it, because they're simply not intelligent enough.

That's probably true to an extent but - and maybe this is a cyclical thing - what winds me up is not people being stupid because they can't understand something but being stupid because they don't want to understand something.

It's like the old joke about someone from the past time-travelling to the present and being amazed we carry access to the total of all human knowledge in our pockets. "You can learn instantly about science, nature, history, philosophy, business, art, sport, health, languages...my god, what do you use it for?!" "Mainly looking at pictures of otters and arguing with strangers about who should play wing-back for Motherwell on Saturday."

I had perfectly civilised and engaging communications with David Lindsay and Graham Keys (though I know others had different experiences) about the investment. They drew different (very, very different) conclusions to me but they're well informed and perfectly entitled to their opinion.

The Facebook crowd though, Jesus fucking Christ...read about why the Society was formed before you criticise it blindly. Read our financials, read the prize money available now (and how it's increasing), it's public information...read about other investments in Scottish football.

I'm not saying anyone should suddenly become a brain surgeon or rocket scientist overnight but if you're appallingly ignorant on the background, context and facts behind a relatively simple offer for a relatively minor business, it's entirely of your own choosing.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

"Whether we go with different shapes with these guys in or we stick with the shape we've been playing throughout preseason and last season ...."

May I offer up you change it up just to see?