Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I really don't see what Robinson has done to earn a place in the starting line up.

All I know is Moses scores the goals.

Because he does everything that Moses doesn't. They are Ying and Yang.

Robinson was a big part of why we were so in control in the first half. His link up play was good and he didn't let their defence settle for a second.

Edited by fat_tony
"defense"? Ewww.

Robinson does a good job as the lone striker. He keeps the defenders occupied and he holds the ball up well. There were a couple of times where he chased stuff down and caused them problems, including when he got injured.

He has good feet and good technique, but has yet to show that he can finish.

With the wingers coming into play, it will be interesting to see whether that improves his game, or exposes him if he can't finish chances.

3 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

Robinson was a big part of why we were so in control in the first half. His link up play was good and he didn't let their defence settle for a second.

You were effectively playing against ten men while Nicky Clark was on the field, tbf.

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I want a handwritten apology from every single person on here who called Moses a 'donkey'

You know what?, although he's obviously been a f**king goal machine so far , I'm still not 100% convinced that it's not all been luck to this point and that he  is, infact, utterly pish. 

I'm the happiest man in ML1 for him to keep proving me wrong though.

4 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

You know what?, although he's obviously been a f**king goal machine so far , I'm still not 100% convinced that it's not all been luck to this point and that he  is, infact, utterly pish. 

Possibly, but I think it's more likely he's just that player that does little else but knows where to be when the ball is in the box. There were a couple of moments around the 70th minute where the ball was skelped low across the penalty box and absolutely no-one was running in. I was thinking if Moses had been on the pitch he'd probably have been on the end of one. 

15 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

He has consistently been in then right place at the right time. 

I suppose, I'd rather be lucky than be good.

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

Possibly, but I think it's more likely he's just that player that does little else but knows where to be when the ball is in the box. There were a couple of moments around the 70th minute where the ball was skelped low across the penalty box and absolutely no-one was running in. I was thinking if Moses had been on the pitch he'd probably have been on the end of one. 

Aye, tbf I said after the Killie cup tie in particular that there were numerous balls across the face of goal that just needed someone to take a gamble, and that if he'd been on the park at the time he would definitely have stuck one away. You can't argue against his numbers vs minutes played, and I hope he can keep it up.

I would have taken 7 points from the first 4 games at the start of the season. Albeit I'd probably have expected them to come from beating Ross County and drawing with Hearts. Coming away from playing one half of the old firm without damaging the goal difference is a bonus too.

Encouraging signs that our team is settling now. The defence has improved considerably, I think Gordon has been signing of the summer for sure. I was beginning to lose patience with Halliday but in the last fortnight he's maybe showing us that he's now put the run of games together needed to be totally match fit.

Up top, all of the forwards played their part today. Maswanisee seems to have a brilliant first touch, is direct and happy to take on crosses and shots. His final product may frustrate us at times over the season, but having a player that positive is great to watch. 

That's the third late winner we've had from Moses now. From the couple of games I've watched where he's started, he doesn't appear to be the most fluent footballer ever. But if he does that once or twice more this season, his role of supersub is definitely one worth having.

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I want a handwritten apology from every single person on here who called Moses a 'donkey'

I am yet to be convinced he is not a donkey, but donkeys can score goals.

Ewan Wilson is the reincarnation of big Hutchy, two St Johnstone attacks where Wilson is last (only) man back, both times I thought he held too much of the central line while the ball was coming in from wider, both times he closed the gap at the exact right time to snuff out the attack.

I have talked before about my affinity with Motherwell left backs, since I turned out for the Muirhouse PS school team in that position.  The love affair continues.

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I really don't see what Robinson has done to earn a place in the starting line up.

All I know is Moses scores the goals.

He does what Curtis Main did in the season that everyone got plaudits apart from Curtis Main.

20 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Supersubs win you cups

I appreciate you can question how we got to the 86th minute in the first place in the situation we were (slack attack, Miller out of position etc) and also ask if we should have changed earlier but I'm surprised SK hasn't been given more praise for the last sub, even if it hadn't brought a goal. Away from home, 1-1 with five minutes to go and "hanging on" to quote the commentator (an exaggeration but St J were definitely the more likely) and we removed a holding midfielder for a poacher. It completely changed the dynamic of the game and had it gone wrong, he'd have been slaughtered... he'll have plenty that do go wrong over the season, but I think he'll be chugging away over that one tonight.

On that topic - Miller deep, and only deep in the midfield please. It's one thing testing him out a bit in the LC groups or in an injury crisis...but we should be looking for the best XI we have from now.