Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Another one? Has he not had one just recently?

31 minutes ago, dezz said:

I thought Robbo mentioned Moult had an op a few weeks ago and the plan was to have him ready for the rangers game.

I saw someone say this on SO, so apologies if he just went for one but I was unaware actually went.

Yep - in one of the Ireland interviews, it was mentioned that Moult was behind most of the others as he's had an Op...When you think he wasn't fully fit for large parts of the season and he was playing in a piss poor team most of the time that he was fit, his 18 goals looks even better..

11 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Ryan Bowman for the golden boot this year then aye? 

In all seriousness, given McDonald's away and Moult's dodgy groin seems to be playing up again it would be good if Bowman could take some form and confidence into the start of this season to give us another good option up top. There were several games last season where I thought he looked a handful but just seemed to lack confidence in front of goal, if he gets a decent run in the League Cup and gets a few goals early doors could we see a different player next season? To me he always looked like someone that just needed a break and never really got one last season, his terrific looping header in stoppage time against St.Johnstone hitting the inside of the post and somehow coming back out kinda sums up his time for us so far. 

Never made it tonight but from what I've heard we looked a bit sharper as you'd expect, with Dembele putting in another good showing at the back. Interested to hear how Bigirimana looked outside his goal as well.

The other thing with Bowman, I think, is that it's becoming increasingly apparent he's not actually a target man to lump the ball up to. He seems much more comfortable with the ball getting played in to him rather than asking him to win headers (I think we've all marvelled at his inability to time a jump). Obviously you have to take into account the nature of the games he's been playing but seeing him play as a natural #9 it's not a huge surprise he had a decent goalscoring record before he arrived. His goal on Saturday had him in a good position and he really should have had another not long after with the chance he had after taking the ball on his chest while his goal last night was a calm finish.

I was at Stirling on Saturday but not there last night but going by the highlights, specifically Bigirimana's goal it's quite the novelty to see midfielders breaking into the box and there seemed to be 3 or 4 very decent passages of play to to create chances. The one Fisher puts over the bar is worked with the ball on the deck and Bigi getting up the park ahead of the strikers. It's early days, clearly, but there seems to be a lot more pace about Robinson's side. Which to be fair to him is something he said we lacked as soon as he was in the door.

I think Bowman looks good with the ball at his feet. McGhee seemed to have him down as someone to just lump the ball up to but, as has been said, he can't jump to win a header for love nor money. 

Interesting comments post match from Robinson saying there's a few folk we need to get out of the club. *looks knowingly at Craig Clay & Jacob Blyth*

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Interesting comments post match from Robinson saying there's a few folk we need to get out of the club. *looks knowingly at Craig Clay & Jacob Blyth*

Everyone is assuming those two - but I can't imagine either would be on huge money (or at least I hope they aren't!). It might be a case of two out, one in I guess...

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

Everyone is assuming those two - but I can't imagine either would be on huge money (or at least I hope they aren't!). It might be a case of two out, one in I guess...

What I took from Robinson's comments, and it's clearly only my interpretation, was that we were making offers for the two centre backs but it was the "pacy striker" that was really dependent on others moving out. He's said all along that he wants to add 2 central defenders. Having said that there was a suggestion that there's a fair amount of business still to be done.

I'd also throw Heneghan's name into the "moving on" category. Not so much in a we need to move him on way, just more that it's public knowledge that we've offered both McHugh and Moult new deals so he's a sellable asset who hasn't. He's also been the one player that there seems to have been more chatter about moving. I posted yesterday, then deleted as I read it back and realised how ridiculous it sounded as I was basically making a post here based on a speculative tweet from a guy but it was a someone (a non-#ITK account but who seemed reasonably informed) indicating that Sheffield United are in for him, which given we've a relationship with them from Murphy, through George Long and even Shea Gordon doesn't seem that outlandish.

Edit: I realise I've now just posted the same info I decided was ridiculous to post yesterday...but anyway. Aye.

Edited by capt_oats

Dembele has offers down south on a lot more money than we can pay but we are hopeful that the few weeks he's been with us and the platform we can provide players may be enough to sway it in our favour signing him. 

Kipre I reckon we wont have any issues with signing, Is only 20 so scope to develop him further and potentially move on for money in the future.

I've said it across on Steelmen already, but I reckon Bowman will be a big player for us this season. Last season he just never got a run in the team, and remember it is a big jump from where he came from to the SPL...when he did play, it was either on as a sub, or he was crowded out by Moult and McDonald, with him often slung out to the left handside. I don't think he'll be particularly prolific, but I think he will offer a lot more this year, than he did last.

Keep an eye out for some of the youngsters being moved out on loan, as well as hopefully Clay and Bowman being moved on somewhere (anywhere?) permanently. McMillan, Thomas, McLean, Campbell, Hastie are all going to find it difficult to nail down a starting berth considering the players we have brought in for their positions, and Watt will no doubt also be offered out to the lower leagues. Its still a while away yet, until the window closes.

21 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Dembele has offers down south on a lot more money than we can pay but we are hopeful that the few weeks he's been with us and the platform we can provide players may be enough to sway it in our favour signing him. 

Kipre I reckon we wont have any issues with signing, Is only 20 so scope to develop him further and potentially move on for money in the future.

The only problem with that train of thought re: Dembele is, he's 29. I'm not sure at his age and stage in his career the "platform" argument will be that convincing. He's more likely to be all about the dollah (not that there's anything wrong with that). What might sway him is if he's told he's actually going to play and he's seen as a longer term option to take over from McManus.

I see Kipre as essentially taking Ferguson's place in the squad tbh. Someone to develop with a view to playing and possibly selling on if he's good. He's more of a punt but the comparison with him is definitely "is he better than the u20 players?" rather than "is he better than Heneghan and McManus?".

1 minute ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Just watched the highlights and the thing that struck me is that Trevor Carsons da' clearly won't be happy with Bigirimana's goal celebrations

Or Carl McHugh walking on to the park.