Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 hours ago, welldaft said:

I actually like Joe Chalmers. Was not the best player but did actually have a couple of decent games. I think he could cope in the championship if he managed to string a decent run of games together. 

I've seen this suggested a couple of times; when did this happen? Inverness on the opening day aside.

54 minutes ago, Craig Lea said:

Motherwell will probably finish up with £250k for Cadden if Rangers buy Walker.

Doubt it tbh. He'd be worth more even if he ran down his contract and we took development compensation for him. The reported figure for Lee Erwin who moved to Leeds out of contract was £500k. Cadden's already played almost double the number of first team games as Erwin and has u21 caps to boot.

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Doubt it tbh. He'd be worth more even if he ran down his contract and we took development compensation for him. The reported figure for Lee Erwin who moved to Leeds out of contract was £500k. Cadden's already played almost double the number of first team games as Erwin and has u21 caps to boot.

The Erwin to Leeds transfer was deeply morally wrong, the footballing equivalent of when cowboy builders replace a tile on some old dears roof and then charge her £15,000. Surely a club with our proud traditions should be above such pig-in-a-poke tactics? :lol:

As for Cadden, he's been off form for 6 months, his game has been exposed as kick and rush, opposition teams have figured him out and he needs to find another level to his game if we are ever going to sell him on for serious cash.

On 23/06/2017 at 17:10, capt_oats said:

So many moments to choose from. These are just the ones that cost us goals as well.

giphy.gif

Quite possible the angriest I've ever been at a player in a football match.

Look out for the WTF? moment from the Ross County player as Zak keeps the ball in.

After we lost that goal, I was convinced we were going down. The only saving grace for Jules was that he was up at the empty corner - if he was in front of the East when he made that mistake....

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

As for Cadden, he's been off form for 6 months, his game has been exposed as kick and rush, opposition teams have figured him out and he needs to find another level to his game if we are ever going to sell him on for serious cash.

Its not often I agree with your critique of our players, and certainly not when it comes to midfielders it seems...but you've hit the nail on the head with regards to young Cadden. He burst onto the scene, and caused every team problems with his direct style of play, but he seems to be a one-trick pony, and that trick is no more than you describe it...kick and rush. He's been nullified so much by opposing teams over the past 6 months that arguably his best game in that period came when he was deployed at right-back against Kilmarnock in the 'David Ferguson Game', where Jones ripped Ferguson apart but was completely marked out the game by Cadden after the 1st 30mins or so. 

To be fair to him, he is still young in the game and I think Robinsons mental formation in the last few months of the season hindered him a lot, but he'll have to hit the ground running this season if we are going to get any sort of decent bid for him

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Quite possible the angriest I've ever been at a player in a football match.

Look out for the WTF? moment from the Ross County player as Zak keeps the ball in.

Again, I'm 100% with you on this...over the years I've seen some tremendously idiotic defending from Motherwell, individual errors, awful goals etc but I have never witnessed anything like that, it was that bad that I laughed for the rest of the match. I'd love to have been inside his head to try and understand what his thought process was.

The Magic Hat being "linked" (in the loosest possible sense, it's HITC and no, there aren't any quotes) with taking Cadden to Forest. Tbh, I could see that being more likely than him going to another side in Scotland and given they were comfortable paying a decent fee for Cummings I could see them being able to pay the sort of cash we'd be looking for. Though there's little of substance in the piece it seems quite coincidental that this turns up after a report that we chucked Hearts offer straight in the bin.

Speculative HITC piece here: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/25/do-long-standing-mark-warburton-target-chris-cadden-excellent-va/

As far as Cadden goes I think he was quite unlucky last season. He picked up that calf injury in December and never really looked like he fully recovered from it and he was being asked to play week in, week out regardless of whether he was actually fit or playing well. You could say the same about Heneghan too I suppose. I still maintain that Cadden's game is more naturally suited to playing centrally as a box to box midfielder and as ONeils40yarder says I think the more he plays wide right the more he'll get found out and the less effective he'll be.

I remember making a comment that in my view we should refuse to sell any player to any Scottish club, as it would make them stronger and us weaker.  We should in my opinion only be selling our players down south so there's no risk of coming up against them and likely doing well against us.  Accept that's easier said than done but the only Scottish club of any significance to move to in Scotland is Celtic. apart from that the rest are nothing special and wouldn't deal with.

19 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

I remember making a comment that in my view we should refuse to sell any player to any Scottish club, as it would make them stronger and us weaker.  We should in my opinion only be selling our players down south so there's no risk of coming up against them and likely doing well against us.  Accept that's easier said than done but the only Scottish club of any significance to move to in Scotland is Celtic. apart from that the rest are nothing special and wouldn't deal with.

I'm of a similar mind, to be honest. Unless Hearts are going to do something daft like offer half a million in cash up front for Cadden, I'd take our chances with a tribunal fee. 

If Forest come in with a £400k bid, he'll be away, you'd imagine.

To be honest I actually agree with the comments on Cadden being a bit stale and a one trick pony.

However from a Scottish team I'd want a decent fee.

Flow has also just tweeted that the "improved" offer is a lot of shite.

Great move by Flow

I think Cadden was going through his "David Clarkson" spell at the end of his season. I think he'd just played too many games and it was catching up on him.

Hopefully the summer of rest does him good. Like others, can see his long term future in the middle of the park. He was outstanding there in the Youth Cup Final last year.

Certainly reminds me of a young Pearson, who started out for us wide left before moving in centrally at Celtic and beyond.

In saying all that, anything above £400k (with sell on clause) and it'll be thanks and on yer way.

Just now, Desp said:

I think Cadden was going through his "David Clarkson" spell at the end of his season. I think he'd just played too many games and it was catching up on him.

Hopefully the summer of rest does him good. Like others, can see his long term future in the middle of the park. He was outstanding there in the Youth Cup Final last year.

Certainly reminds me of a young Pearson, who started out for us wide left before moving in centrally at Celtic and beyond.

In saying all that, anything above £400k (with sell on clause) and it'll be thanks and on yer way.

I reckon he was a bit burnt out and carrying a few niggling injuries that stopped him being as impressive. In reality, had we not had an injury list the size of the yellow pages I doubt he would have had to play 90 minutes every game so could have properly recovered.