Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

David Ferguson is also on trial, I assume he is just as useless.

Never really got much of a chance to be honest, he's a centre back by trade but whenever he played for the first team it was usually to fill in a gap at either left or right back. He never really got much of a run in his natural position and always looked uncomfortable at full back. In his last appearance Jordan Jones gave him such a roasting he was hooked before half time and his confidence looked shattered.

What I will say is I seen him there for the U20's a few times and he always looked decent, the Cup Final win against Hearts in particular I thought he was excellent that day.

Could be a worth a punt, who knows perhaps regular football at a lower level in his natural position will bring the best out of him. 

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I saw you also have David Ferguson as well. He was absolutely rinsed by Jordan Jones in the Killie game at the end of the season, so much so that Robinson hooked him after 35 mins. It was as comprehensive a roasting as you've ever see. However, if he can drop a level and find regular first team football in his natural position then I'd have thought that if he can regain his confidence he could turn out alright.

Well Brad Mckay got roasted by Jones twice this season so Ferguson would be in good company if he did sign.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because it made me sad :(

4 minutes ago, RiG said:

Honestly, just enjoy the ride. 

Joe genuinely looks like he's playing in slippers. Just marvel at how he gets paid to play football and enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

Well Brad Mckay got roasted by Jones twice this season so Ferguson would be in good company if he did sign.

I'm +1 on Casagolda's post above re: Ferguson. He had an excellent game at centre half in the youth cup final against Hearts, outshone Ben Hall who was playing alongside him and had broken through to the first team by that point. I watched a fair bit of our u20s games last season and Ferguson always seemed comfortable at centre half. As others have said, he was often used as a stop gap when he played for our first team and was just stuck in at full back.

As thisGRAEME says, just enjoy the Joe Chalmers experience.

Ferguson looked to me every bit the U20 player who wasn't ready for the first team - although he clearly must have impressed in the '20s to be getting a shot. His half an hour against Killie recently was one of the most painful things I've seen - I wanted to give him a cuddle as the sub board put him out his misery. If memory served, he also sold the jerseys against St Johnstone at Fir Park and let the ball through to the back post where the Saints forward was on his own. I don't think Inverness would be taking a lost cause though - if they can continue his development and get him bulked up a bit - there is a player there.

Joe though. He's the embodiment of the neglect in our squad as the McCall era wound down and since. A utility man, that's equally effective in any role he's played in. He did though have a storming game on the 1st day of 2015/16 when we pumped ICT 1-0 in Inverness - maybe that was remembered :) 

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

He did though have a storming game on the 1st day of 2015/16 when we pumped ICT 1-0 in Inverness - maybe that was remembered :) 

I had genuinely forgotten all about that until right this second. He played on the wing and roasted a boy, eh?

Yep - he was outstanding going forward that day. To think we all walked out that day expecting a great season with Joe Chalmers and Wes Fletcher being mainstays. I also remember being underwhelmed by Louis Moult....

To provide a small counter balance to the discussion on Ferguson, I was at the 1-0 defeat to Aberdeen at Pittodrie where I thought he actually played pretty well against Jonny Hayes. Bear in mind, they'd just pumped us 7-2 with Hayes pretty much having our entire team feeling dizzy and we came within an inch of getting a point. I wasn't at the Killie game and by all accounts it sounds like he wasn't up to that challenge but it wasn't all bad from him.

The St Johnstone and Kilmarnock game apart I thought Ferguson always done ok. He was certainly no more of a liability than some of our more experienced first choice defenders last season (and a lot less of a liability than SCOTLAND UNDER 21 INTERNATIONALIST Zak Jules).

Having Hibs back in the league makes the Fixture list look a bit tougher certainly (even if the reality turns out to be different). We really need to do a lot better at Home this season to avoid being in the play-off grubber again...

Overall, I'm quite happy with those fixtures (at least before TV gets their hands on them) - no nightmare midweek away's, decent enough festive season and getting Rangers on the first day at FP is as good a time as any...

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

Having Hibs back in the league makes the Fixture list look a bit tougher certainly (even if the reality turns out to be different). We really need to do a lot better at Home this season to avoid being in the play-off grubber again...

Overall, I'm quite happy with those fixtures (at least before TV gets their hands on them) - no nightmare midweek away's, decent enough festive season and getting Rangers on the first day at FP is as good a time as any...

That run in to the split though...

giphy.gif