Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He's "eligible for selection" but with his injury and the fact both clubs have announced he's signing on January 1st it seems unlikely we'd actually play him.

So, as Jim McMahon's saying we've been scouting replacements for Moult and "will look to strengthen our squad in a number of different areas" what different areas are we likely to be looking to strengthen lads?

Edited by capt_oats

Best wishes and many thanks to Louis Moult, he deserves his move and we are netting a decent fee for him considering he is out of contract in the summer.

For us though he will be a big, big loss and if we are to avoid a major struggle in the second half of the season then we need a replacement to be signed in January.

8 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Sad to see him go from Scotland, but at least it's a good payday for Motherwell, £400,000 is a decent amount of money; makes you think though that Aberdeen could've probably bought him.

I highly doubt it.
AFC were rumoured to be offering a max of 300K last summer,,  which M'well correctly decided wasn't sufficient.  They have done well by turning our offer down.  More money, a sell - on clause, and avoided selling an in-form striker to  a club playing in the same league as them.
Good bit of business.

1 hour ago, akredz said:

I highly doubt it.
AFC were rumoured to be offering a max of 300K last summer,,  which M'well correctly decided wasn't sufficient.  They have done well by turning our offer down.  More money, a sell - on clause, and avoided selling an in-form striker to  a club playing in the same league as them.
Good bit of business.

I'm sure there will be a sell on clause in the new contract.

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

He's "eligible for selection" but with his injury and the fact both clubs have announced he's signing on January 1st it seems unlikely we'd actually play him.

So, as Jim McMahon's saying we've been scouting replacements for Moult and "will look to strengthen our squad in a number of different areas" what different areas are we likely to be looking to strengthen lads?

We've got too many players, we need to move some out. First out for me would be Hammel and Plummer.  As for who we NEED. We need Carl McHugh to find his form, and we need another Carl McHugh type that can play a midfield destroyer role or centre half.  McLean us back in the first team squad, I'd like to see McMillan back. We have other under-20's who are due a go. 

Who to replace Moult?  I wouldn't be against giving his position to Petravacius. I reckon his pace could cause some damage , with Tanner mopping up some goals.  I note some people writing off Petra already. He's a young player, give him a run and see what develops. There is a player in there. 

I'm delighted that Moult is away early.  We knew we were losing him, and better to get it over and done with. He's been as much a star off the field as on it, all the best to him. 

The task now will be to survive next month without losing our other crucial players such as Cadden, Campbell, Carson, or Hartley.  I have a hunch that Kipre will be off next month, I could live with that. I could also live with losing Bowman if we got a fee. 

We've got too many players, we need to move some out. First out for me would be Hammel and Plummer.  As for who we NEED. We need Carl McHugh to find his form, and we need another Carl McHugh type that can play a midfield destroyer role or centre half.  McLean us back in the first team squad, I'd like to see McMillan back. We have other under-20's who are due a go. 
Who to replace Moult?  I wouldn't be against giving his position to Petravacius. I reckon his pace could cause some damage , with Tanner mopping up some goals.  I note some people writing off Petra already. He's a young player, give him a run and see what develops. There is a player in there. 

You can launch your "Petravicius can replace Moult" idea right in the fucking sea.

That would be horrific.

Said it on the match thread on Wednesday but I thought Petravicius looked out his depth.

Aye he has pace but having pace is absolutely useless if you don’t know how to use it. His movement and positional sense is horrific, as is his spatial awareness if the number of times I’ve seen him dribble the ball straight out the park is anything to by. Boy looks like a fives player trying his hand at eleven a side for the first time. 

Given he’s got 7 caps for Lithuania you’ve got to hope there’s more to come from him but so far I’ve seen precious little to be enthused by.

On a more positive note- Tanner, Bigi and Frear’s performances during that 2nd half on Wednesday gave me hope for life after Moult. Played some good stuff on the deck, created plenty of chances  and showed with them in the team we can actually be a decent football team as opposed to just being ‘BIG PHYSICAL MOTHERWELL’.

Suppose the trick for Robinson is to try and find the right balance.

For me Petravicius is what he is; someone that we've looked at and decided to take a low-risk punt on in the hope he comes good. He may well still offer something if he can find his feet but there's not a chance we're replacing Moult with him. As McMahon says we've been scouting replacements for some time because we've known for ages that Moult would be moving. It suggests that none of Fisher, Bowman, Petravicius or Newell are viewed as Moult's replacement.

Which is reassuring to know.

Agree totally re: Tanner, Bigi & Frear's performances during the week. You saw the benefit of playing Frear as a proper winger rather than a wingback. The question is how we get 90 min performances out of Tanner and Bigi. Tanner in particular has been tremendous off the bench one week then started the next and hooked at HT. There are legitimate questions to be asked of Robinson in terms of the number of times he's had to make changes at half time but equally given the sheer turnover of players through the summer there's definitely an argument that even in December he's still getting to know his squad.

Petravicius to me is like a Lithuanian Chris Humphrey in that if we actually played the ball in front of him and allow him to get past people with his pace, he could be useful. But also like Humphrey (a player I always liked BTW), if he gets the ball in tight situations and/or with his back to goal, he's not going to do much with it. 

At Tynecastle last week, he was making some good runs but was never picked out (he also ran the ball out of play about 5 times....), so maybe there is a point of view where the team need to adjust to playing with him. I'm nowhere near the point of writing him off as pace is a big deal in a league where there isn't much of it about and if we can develop him, we could have a very useful asset....

55 minutes ago, Swello said:

Petravicius to me is like a Lithuanian Chris Humphrey in that if we actually played the ball in front of him and allow him to get past people with his pace, he could be useful. But also like Humphrey (a player I always liked BTW), if he gets the ball in tight situations and/or with his back to goal, he's not going to do much with it. 

At Tynecastle last week, he was making some good runs but was never picked out (he also ran the ball out of play about 5 times....), so maybe there is a point of view where the team need to adjust to playing with him. I'm nowhere near the point of writing him off as pace is a big deal in a league where there isn't much of it about and if we can develop him, we could have a very useful asset....

And Robinson said he was looking for pace up front. Get him up front and get the ball behind defences, he'll skin the majority of defenders in our league for pace, The goals will follow. 

And as I pointed out, Tanner, ( among others ) will mop up. I don't know what's going on with Bigi, but he's capable of playing the kind of ball that Petra will run riot with. 

Edited by WellView

I can't really see him as an out and out striker - but as an attacking wide player, he could potentially be decent. Whether he should be in/near the 1st team at this stage of his development is another question entirely...

30 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Robinson confirmed that we got 500k for Moult in his interview today. He also said Trevor Carson was 10k which is a might fucking bargain.

We can't complain ever again* when the OF put in some shitey low ball offer for one of our players :)

*We should still complain obviously.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

He'll be a real asset if the players adjust to his style.  In open games he could be amathcwinner but when chasing a game he's not your man.  As you say just like Chris Humphrey.