Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Actual player update: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/06/14/players-departing-2022-23/

We can provide the following update on players who will not be renewing their contract for next season. 

Leaving us after four years of service is, Jake Carroll.

The Irish full-back joined Motherwell in 2019 from Cambridge and went on to make over 75 appearances for the club.

Missing most of the 2022/23 season due to a knee injury suffered early in the season, Carroll moves on to the next stage of his career.

With Carroll still not fully recovered from this fluke injury, he has been offered to use our facilities here at Fir Park until required.

Jack Aitchison will be departing the club after arriving on deadline day in January.

The striker made 11 appearances for Motherwell in his spell at the club.

David Devine moves on after coming through the youth ranks at Motherwell.

The centre-back made his first-team debut back in 2019 against Livingston however has since struggled with injury. With loan spells at Queen of the South, Alloa and East Fife in his time, Devine moves on with our best wishes for the future.

We can also confirm Corey O’Donnell, Daniel Hunter and Kian Speirs will be departing the club.

Logan Dunachie has also left and has since joined Clyde on a permanent deal.

The club wants thank all players who are leaving.

We remain in discussions with a number of players ahead of next season and will provide an accurate update when possible.

So that's the following all officially away:

• Jake Carroll
  • Jack Aitchison
  • David Devine
  • Corey O'Donell
  • Daniel Hunter
  • Kian Spiers
  • Logan Dunachie

From the original list that leaves:

• Matty Connelly
  • Max Johnston
  • Ewan Wilson
  • Dan Casey
  • Dean Cornelius
  • Sean Goss
  • Mikael Mandron
  • Harry Paton

Connelly and Wilson have supposedly already signed, we've just not announced this. Johnston and Cornelius have effectively said they're away in the press - which leaves us with Casey, Goss, Mandron and Paton as those we may still be in discussion with.

Still genuinely confused as to why we've made this seem as convoluted as we have.

Edited by capt_oats

Feel a bit for Carroll not a bad left back and had a decent cross/free kick on him but with his injury situation it was always happening. Crazy to think he’s been here 4 years and it still feels like you’ve hardly seen him. 

Hopeful if Van Veen going to Groningen is true then we do some business quick and fill in a couple of positions with the money. The wing backs, a striker and a centre mid need some personnel to fill them up asap. Would possibly try and offload Connor Shields but he does put in a good effort so it’s just whether or not Stu Kettlewell feels like he can get a tune out of him. 

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Still genuinely confused as to why we've made this seem as convoluted as we have.

100% agree. Assume lack of a FT CEO has a big part to play. Derek Weir has been helping out on PT basis. Remains to be seen whether he and the club would be interested in him taking the role FT and / or whether we are still looking at other candidates. Who really knows…..

Not much exciting to help convince some to buy season tickets. Other clubs are announcing healthy numbers. I suspect we will be down on last season given price increase and lack of news other than promising players leaving (albeit expected), good players not re-signing and average players staying under contract. Long way to go but not a lot of positive news about. Not even any rumours around new kits etc. 

Just now, Marinello said:

Anyone know what the script is with Obika re a contract.

He was here on loan so he's officially "returned to his parent club".

He's one of the many Morecambe released after their relegation so he's a free agent same as McKinstry.

https://www.morecambefc.com/news/2022/may/retained-list-announced/

Give me a couple of weeks and I will have completely forgot Aitchison ever played for us. 

Speirs was given the big build up last summer (I'm still in therapy to erase that period out of my memory) and now he's emptied. So got to assume he was nowhere near it. 

4 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Feel a bit for Carroll not a bad left back and had a decent cross/free kick on him but with his injury situation it was always happening. Crazy to think he’s been here 4 years and it still feels like you’ve hardly seen him. 

Hopeful if Van Veen going to Groningen is true then we do some business quick and fill in a couple of positions with the money. The wing backs, a striker and a centre mid need some personnel to fill them up asap. Would possibly try and offload Connor Shields but he does put in a good effort so it’s just whether or not Stu Kettlewell feels like he can get a tune out of him. 

By good effort you mean runs about a bit ? We need and deserve better at this level than Shields and I hope for all our sakes that the manager is trying to punt him to Queens Park/ Strathclyde Park/ South Park .

An unprompted remark from a Hibs supporting pal sums him up. “Who the f* ck was your number 29 today? He looked like a fan who had won a competition “ 

1 hour ago, Ill Ray said:

Carroll was largely rotten with the odd false dawn thrown in. Decent delivery though.

I do wonder in general if modern tactics hurt full-backs at our level...they're expected to be good on the ball and attack while some managers expect them to defend the flanks almost alone at times due to the obsession with crowding the centre.

And as promising as Furlong and obviously MJ looked in a 3-5-2 with the support they got from actual defenders behind them, it may have been different had a Hammell/Alexander hung them out to dry in a 4-3-3.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

it may have been different had a Hammell/Alexander hung them out to dry in a 4-3-3.

Which surprised me as both were very good full backs/wing backs, and Hammell himself was hung out to dry weekly when we had Foran playing ahead of him.  

13 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Which surprised me as both were very good full backs/wing backs, and Hammell himself was hung out to dry weekly when we had Foran playing ahead of him.  

I think Carroll might have been ok in our 3/5/2 taking the Furlong role. Still think Furlong is a bit more dynamic going forward and latterly seemed to add a bit of defensive bite in the tackle too. I could live with McGinley being occasional LWB sub but god forbid not a starting 11 player so hopefully Furlong signs 🙏 

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I do wonder in general if modern tactics hurt full-backs at our level...they're expected to be good on the ball and attack while some managers expect them to defend the flanks almost alone at times due to the obsession with crowding the centre.

Tbh I think our previous manager(s) tactics hung our fullbacks out to dry. SOD has always very much been a fullback/wingback who is at his best when he's allowed to storm up and down the pitch. Alexander had him literally told not to stop crosses or go over the half way line. You could see him sticking the anchors on as soon as he got there. 

As for left back we've had Carroll (an idiot who is broken) and McGinley (an intellectual who is broken). Penney looked alright for a while before he decided he fucking hated it and the change of literally everything probably helped Furlong & Johnston out big time. 

Tbh, I thought Carroll was broadly fine in his first season - the curtailed 3rd* place one. I've always felt he got a lot more grief than he probably deserved given we've tried to fill that position with Joe Chalmers, Stephen Hendrie etc and the most successful turn we'd had in there until Furlong turned up at LWB was Richard Tait getting swapped over from right back.

Carroll missed most of 2020 with injury and by the time he was back Robinson was gone and Alexander was in. He clearly didn't endear himself with that daft red card against Dundee and in hindsight it was pretty clear that he wasn't the type of full back #Grezza was after anyway. Fundamentally he just seemed to want his full backs to sit and defend which is why Mugabi looked a better fit in there than SOD and McGinley got the nod over Carroll.

It's also why, if we're being honest, Max Johnston was probably as well out on loan to QotS while Alexander was at the club.

Either way he's had a monumentally shite time with injuries so hopefully he gets sorted out with a club soon enough.

Edited by capt_oats

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I thought Carroll was broadly fine in his first season - the curtailed 3rd* place one. I've always felt he got a lot more grief than he probably deserved given we've tried to fill that position with Joe Chalmers, Stephen Hendrie etc and the most successful turn we'd had in there until Furlong turned up at LWB was Richard Tait getting swapped over from right back.

Carroll missed most of 2020 with injury and by the time he was back Robinson was gone and Alexander was in. He clearly didn't endear himself with that daft red card against Dundee and in hindsight it was pretty clear that he wasn't the type of full back #Grezza was after anyway. Fundamentally he just seemed to want his full backs to sit and defend which is why Mugabi looked a better fit in there than SOD and McGinley got the nod over Carroll.

It's also why, if we're being honest, Max Johnston was probably as well out on loan to QotS while Alexander was at the club.

Either way he's had a monumentally shite time with injuries so hopefully he gets sorted out with a club soon enough.

Very good summing up of Carroll. Of the left backs we have had over the last 40 years or so he was in my opinion in the middle band. Not a Boyd/Wark/ Mc Kinnon but most certainly not a Straker/ Angol .

Provided a special moment at Rugby Park with his winning free kick.

Also an easy guy to talk to which of course doesn't apply to every player.

Best of luck to the fella as injuries prevented us seeing him at his best.

I think Carroll was very much the type of player that ends up at a town club in our league. He was decently quick and had decent delivery - but defensively, I always thought he was prone to lapses in concentration/bad decision making. If he was good at that stuff, he'd have been playing at a moderately higher level than us.

Given his injury and suspension record over 4 years - he was realistically never going to get another contract, so good luck to him.

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

100% agree. Assume lack of a FT CEO has a big part to play. Derek Weir has been helping out on PT basis. Remains to be seen whether he and the club would be interested in him taking the role FT and / or whether we are still looking at other candidates. Who really knows…..

Not much exciting to help convince some to buy season tickets. Other clubs are announcing healthy numbers. I suspect we will be down on last season given price increase and lack of news other than promising players leaving (albeit expected), good players not re-signing and average players staying under contract. Long way to go but not a lot of positive news about. Not even any rumours around new kits etc. 

They're obviously reading your posts.

3000-sales-site_790x500_acf_cropped.jpg

At this moment, we have sold 3,150 2023/24 season tickets.

The club are, as ever, grateful and thankful for your wavering support for the team.

We have exceeded our number of sales compared to this time last year by 300 tickets.

Link

For context we apparently sold 4807 last season.

A friend just texted me the numbers. As stated in the article and above - 300 ahead of the same time last year which is quite surprising to me anyway. 

A Big jump from 3150 to 4800 mind you and what I actually meant is I would be surprised if we get close to last season total. But who knows. Based on how we ended last season we might. But based on increase in season ticket + cost of living increase + lack of any positive transfer news at this moment in time…