Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

59 minutes ago, Desp said:

"Sorry Kev, we're not letting you go as a few of the Owners of the Club on Twitter.com are saying we need a couple of hundred grand extra, at least.  I know that'll mean you staying here and getting about £8k a week less than what you could've had, but y'know, suck it up".

I know it really shouldn't by now, but it honestly amazes me just now many Motherwell supporters think transfers in and out of Motherwell are like what you get on Football Manager or FIFA.  A player isn't just a thing we trade as and when we fancy, he's a human being.  There's literally dozens of variables in this. It's a chance for Kev to go home, we promised him he could leave the club in the summer after the China offer was rejected, he wants to leave, he's got a family to look after, it's his career.  If we stop him moving now, what message does that send to the next 50 signings we want to make who'll see Motherwell as a stepping stone to bigger and better things?  If a player does right by the football club, as Kev has clearly done, it's our duty as a football club, as an employer and simply as good c***s, to do right by the player.

At the point now where I hope we get about £175k just to wind up those wee VL's. 

Hang this post in The fucking Louvre.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

"Sorry Kev, we're not letting you go as a few of the Owners of the Club on Twitter.com are saying we need a couple of hundred grand extra, at least.  I know that'll mean you staying here and getting about £8k a week less than what you could've had, but y'know, suck it up".

At the point now where I hope we get about £175k just to wind up those wee VL's. 

Hopefully Stephen Robinson offers £174k - just to test the waters. 😜

Edited by pozbaird

Groningen are going to need a big guy up beside Kevin, has Curtis Main signed anywhere? If not Obika or Mandron better start learning Dutch.

(Have to admit I have no idea what nationality Obika is) 

Edit turns out he is English, language lessons required

Edited by ropy

Football fans, on football forum want more money for their star goal scorer. Who would have thought it ae?

Some of the replies on this thread are a bit odd really. People wanting a few more 100k for KVV isn't exactly 'moonhowling' behaviour. It's really not that wild an opinion to be honest. If he is getting 10k a p/w, I can see why people MIGHT think it could be a wee bit more..

For what it's worth, I don't really have any problem with £500k, it's probably ballpark what I expected considering there is likely a goal/promotion add on baked in.

As a Motherwell supporter there has been pretty much nothing to gain from incoming transfer fees for a number of years now. Other than the obvious point of balancing the books, we don't see any tangilble benefits as football fans on the pitch. We lose our star player but we gain nothing in terms of on the field investment etc. Unless its not been communciated properly the only benefit I've seen is the 'improvements' to the stadium. See David Turnbull's departure for details.

9 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

As a Motherwell supporter there has been pretty much nothing to gain from incoming transfer fees for a number of years now. Other than the obvious point of balancing the books, we don't see any tangilble benefits as football fans on the pitch. We lose our star player but we gain nothing in terms of on the field investment etc. Unless its not been communciated properly the only benefit I've seen is the 'improvements' to the stadium. See David Turnbull's departure for details.

Would you want us to be going out and spending say £500k on players here and then when he went? 

Shortly after we sold David Turnbull, we had Christopher Long, Callum Lang, Devante Cole, Tony Watt, Jordan White, Jake Hastie and Sherwin Seedorf all on our books at once. Say what you want about the quality or form of some of them, that's a lot of reputable first team forwards to have at once.

Then when we were struggling in January, we went out and signed 7 players, with only 2 leaving. 

Would we have been able to do that in a season with little income without Turnbull's transfer fee? I don't think so.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

As expected, @thisGRAEME's Patreon season review is a smashing listen.

Quite the treat.

https://twitter.com/terracepodcast/status/1669329672079831042?s=20

It's excellent - my favourite part was right at the end when @craigkillie was wrapping up and from nowhere @thisGRAEME did a tourettes like "Why are we signing a Japanese lad??" outburst :lol:

20 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Football fans, on football forum want more money for their star goal scorer. Who would have thought it ae?

Some of the replies on this thread are a bit odd really. People wanting a few more 100k for KVV isn't exactly 'moonhowling' behaviour. It's really not that wild an opinion to be honest. If he is getting 10k a p/w, I can see why people MIGHT think it could be a wee bit more..

Pretty much where I am coming from. Of course people can point out we cannot keep the player hostage. If we did promise him a move based on a set fee or thereabouts then I would expect us to honour that. The problem is his form the last dozen games meant rightly or wrongly some fans (myself included) hoped we could get more than £500k for him. We may well do with add ons. Who knows.

But we are a business also. And an extra £100-200k would mean a lot to us. Things is you can be pretty sure Groningen offered us the lowest they think they can get away with. If that is all we can get / expect then fine. But I hope and expect the club are hopefully negotiating the best offer we can get, not necessarily the first one. 

If there is only 1 buyer then we are in a bit of a pickle sadly. Time will tell. 

57 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Would you want us to be going out and spending say £500k on players here and then when he went

Shortly after we sold David Turnbull, we had Christopher Long, Callum Lang, Devante Cole, Tony Watt, Jordan White, Jake Hastie and Sherwin Seedorf all on our books at once. Say what you want about the quality or form of some of them, that's a lot of reputable first team forwards to have at once.

Then when we were struggling in January, we went out and signed 7 players, with only 2 leaving. 

Would we have been able to do that in a season with little income without Turnbull's transfer fee? I don't think so.

That's the thing, aside from bailing us out of our injury crisis when we ended up with 35 or whatever first team players on the books - we literally spent £500k on players in the season after the DT sale.

Your mileage may vary on the quality of those players but it's pretty clear that the idea that we've only put money into stadium improvements is wide of the mark.

Screenshot2023-06-15at17_35_16.thumb.png.3d7ab6efbb011dd35c03411aa539caef.png

Edited by capt_oats

I vaguely recall that my previously declared thoughts were that we should get at least £500k with an optimistic £750k albeit his consecutive run would have been about 4 at that time.

I am very aware that we are debating a non verified set of data but what is out there feels realistic, the add ons may make it a good deal.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

It's excellent - my favourite part was right at the end when @craigkillie was wrapping up and from nowhere @thisGRAEME did a tourettes like "Why are we signing a Japanese lad??" outburst :lol:

Honestly, I felt a bit bad about this :lol:.

But cmon to f**k like, we're getting bodied weekly, crying out for some players that sleep in a bed of muck and nettles and eat glass bottles and Stevie Hammell is having zoom calls with a laddie who, apparently, doesn't speak English. What's the thought process here?!

Also thank you both, @craigkillie remains a top tier podcast partner.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Pretty much where I am coming from. Of course people can point out we cannot keep the player hostage. If we did promise him a move based on a set fee or thereabouts then I would expect us to honour that. The problem is his form the last dozen games meant rightly or wrongly some fans (myself included) hoped we could get more than £500k for him. We may well do with add ons. Who knows.

But we are a business also. And an extra £100-200k would mean a lot to us. Things is you can be pretty sure Groningen offered us the lowest they think they can get away with. If that is all we can get / expect then fine. But I hope and expect the club are hopefully negotiating the best offer we can get, not necessarily the first one. 

If there is only 1 buyer then we are in a bit of a pickle sadly. Time will tell. 

Or they offered you the lowest they thought they'd get away with...then you negotiated them up to £500k.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

But cmon to f**k like, we're getting bodied weekly, crying out for some players that sleep in a bed of muck and nettles and eat glass bottles and Stevie Hammell is having zoom calls with a laddie who, apparently, doesn't speak English. What's the thought process here?!

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hammell had an iPad set up at the dinner table on Christmas Day with Danzaki (and Tomo, of course). 

Spent all that time chasing Danzaki, forgetting time was still moving and having to have a classic deadline day rush.

Thistle supporting mate reckons we're in for Aidan Fitzpatrick, should transfer funds be coming in, not sure if that's been mentioned before? 

Can't say I know too much about him to be honest, but looked decent during their playoff matches.