Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There was mention that Brighton had taken up their option on him but I don't know if they ever formally announced it. I'd imagine if they're talking about his development they'd want to give him a run at a Championship club or something next.

Given the situation the boy dropped into in january - it's a bit ironic if our chances of getting him back were torpedoed by the fact he actually did too well..... 

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Would be a bit weird - but if Bohemians are really outspending us, that should be a reality check....

Aye, we know we'll never be able to offer earth shattering wages, but if true that's really not a good look... 

Edited by MurrayWell

A lot of unknowns there though. A more lucrative contract could mean a 5 year deal up against a 2 year deal.

Also have to think about a transfer budget overall and what a player is worth within that, for example if Club A has 100k and needs to bring in one player, but Club B has 300k and needs 5 players.

A huge difference between not being able to match another club's offer, and not being willing to.

Also just to clarify, I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, just that it's not as simple as "Bohemians can pay players more than Motherwell can"

Edited by Al B

I mean, it's not a good look but equally I'd imagine based on where we are squad wise at the moment our priorities in terms of how we allocate our budget will probably be directed at other areas of the park rather than a 7th centre back.

Basically what @Al B said above.

Edited by capt_oats

Aye, we're now at the end of the first week in July. If he's still "waiting for interest to materialise" from elsewhere, we should be wishing him all the best with it. He's someone I would've kept, but he's not the next Franco Baresi. 

As for Bohemians offering him more than us, cool. Could simply mean we've offered him £1k a week, they've offered £1.2k a week. Not something to get your knickers in a twist over. 

That being said, if anyone can confirm a general Twitter reaction along the lines of "f**k sake motherwell that's embarrassing what about the turnbull money are we just spending it on the pitch every year what about the squad i demand to see the accounts why dont we just punt some of the shiftless c***s from the squad and give casey their wages im a part owner of this club so much for being fan owned i demand answers."

Aye, it's one of those where the optics of it don't look great but there will be a bit more to it. You'd imagine Casey would be one of the higher earners at a LOI team, where as that probably isn't the case if he was to stay with us or join another Premiership team. 

Hoped he would have stayed but as others have said wouldn't keep hanging about for him. Might as well use my shite "phew, I was worried in Casey left" comment now, might not get the chance to again... 

6 minutes ago, Al B said:

That being said, if anyone can confirm a general Twitter reaction along the lines of "f**k sake motherwell that's embarrassing what about the turnbull money are we just spending it on the pitch every year what about the squad i demand to see the accounts why dont we just punt some of the shiftless c***s from the squad and give casey their wages im a part owner of this club so much for being fan owned i demand answers."

As far as I can see the news that we're being blown out the water by Bohs hasn't reached the usual suspects yet.

Give it time though.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Absolutely agree with the above. It’s about how you split the budget, not necessarily that Bohemians are blowing us out the water. 

This is absolutely true as Casey will be in the middle of our priority list - but if folk think we'll be splashing the cash in any sense this summer, they are going to be disappointed I think.

The wreckage of 2022 and all the undeniably shit decisions that led to it will have a material effect on us this coming season - but we are far from alone there as I doubt any of our peer clubs will be putting themselves too much further into the red this season either.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As far as I can see the news that we're being blown out the water by Bohs hasn't reached the usual suspects yet.

Give it time though.

The reply guys are maybe all over on Threads losing their minds about it... 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

image.thumb.png.ecf3bbfa74aec2121758c44b64b12d7f.png

Would be a bit weird - but if Bohemians are really outspending us, that should be a reality check....

Bohemians also have a strong chance of European football next season. That's got to be a big attraction 

It is clear we have run at a loss these last two seasons. Primarily as we spent the best part of £1.5 million on pitch and stadium improvements. Significantly more than any of our provincial club rivals. The club say it was necessary and that is fine. 

We also have paid off two Managers and that will have cost the club a few Bob. Then you have the players salaries that joined in the winter window. Turns out to be money well spent as we went from joint bottom to 7th. 

All that said. We have taken in £500k+ for Van Veen. Will take either 7 x 60,000 Euro or hopefully 7 x 90,000 Euro for Max Johnstone. So £350-£500k. Possibly a £1m+. Add that to the prize money for this season where we have taken (reportedly) a minimum of £400k more than the likes of St Mirren and more for others. 

What I am trying to say is that whilst we might not be flush with money. Ross C have paid 3 fees so far this window. St Mirren paying £150k+ for their latest signing. I want us to cut our cloth accordingly. I do. But hopefully we can give the Manager a bit of leeway, a little extra to add to the squad.

B9ECE573-9188-4FA7-BD12-C69040FA1BF9.png

1 minute ago, Cloontang said:

I see our groundsman has left. Wonder where he'll end up. Probably the best the pitch has been in my lifetime.

That is a nightmare as he's done an unbelievable job (with a very decent financial backing from the club obviously). How's Aberdeen's pitch looking?

The thing with Casey is that he is clearly better than Mugabi and Lamie . I understand budget priorities etc but we should not be getting edged out of transfer dealings for guys who are going to drop straight into our first eleven by the likes of Bohemians. I would have a different view if we were discussing squad fillers.

That being said the article could be a load of baloney .