Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The shout of someone on here (forget who, sorry) that he might patch us and St Mirren to kick around League One in England for more money is looking pretty spot on.

Not sure if Brown at Fleetwood was an actual rumour or just something that seemed like an obvious shout but it would probably make a lot of sense.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Good for him (it actually makes a lot more sense if he's had this opportunity and we've just cancelled his deal).

Good for our finances too, you would assume.

Shields to India also appears on so it looks like we're doing quite well in limiting the losses of the cut losses, if that makes any sense!

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Doidge would be a massive no from me as well.

As an aside, I find it interesting Fletcher hasn't signed somewhere yet. The Scottish clubs are now approaching the first, if not big kick-off, and if he was easy to deal with as a free you'd have thought he'd have picked by now.

The shout of someone on here (forget who, sorry) that he might patch us and St Mirren to kick around League One in England for more money is looking pretty spot on.

At least we're not being linked with Lafferty any more as he's apparently just signed for Johnstone Burgh in the WOSL for a reputed £1600 pw.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Good for our finances too, you would assume.

Shields to India also appears on so it looks like we're doing quite well in limiting the losses of the cut losses, if that makes any sense!

Related...(I've pasted the whole thing in the spoiler because it's interesting).

Spoiler

Kettlewell said: “Without divulging too much, it’s not [a loss].

“We’ve been working away on a situation where Riku has another opportunity elsewhere, and it’s not been at a cost, other than the contract that was there initially and that weekly wage.

“That was a situation where Riku could see what was happening here, his representatives the exact same, and we came to an agreement where he would move on.

“But that has not been of extra cost to the club for that to happen.”

Kettlewell has been vocal about Danzaki’s lack of fitness or impact, but said: “It becomes a case of who fits into the system and who contributes from what we’re trying to do.

“This never becomes a personal attack for me, it’s something that has been in football for a long period of time.

“You change managers, you change your style of play and some people don’t really fit into that.

“Riku was, I suppose, unfortunate in a sense that at times he was carrying injuries, he wasn’t available, maybe wasn’t impacting training sessions the way I had hoped.

“Again, I can only be honest, and it then becomes m y job that he has a chance to play football.

“He came to Motherwell to be a first-team player and for him to hopefully contribute to what was going on at the football club at the time.

“Circumstances have changed, and I didn’t quite see him in my plans.

“We had too many players for a number of different reasons last season, and then you have too many people walking about a football club who aren’t contributing.

“That’s not necessarily just down to the player, but I want to limit that number of players that we have here.”

On the speculation surrounding Shields, Kettlewell said: “Every single player that I am prepared to let go at this football club has been told at a very early stage.

“I’m not a guy who tries to manipulate situations to try and manoeuvre them out without speaking to them face to face – I don’t shirk those situations.

“I’ve spoken to every player that I felt was going to get limited game-time here and that’s where the situation sits."

I guess this is what the "clearout" that everyone wants looks like and if we really haven't taken a hit on Danzaki other than the wage he's been paid already (and a the cost of a premium Zoom subscription), that would be good work from all involved and fixes a pretty big mistake.

Shields moving out is probably best for all concerned and again if that is done in a cost-free way because he's going for a decent wedge in India, then again that would maybe be better for our budget than was expected.

How many other genuine surplus to requirements players do we have left? 

20 minutes ago, Swello said:

I guess this is what the "clearout" that everyone wants looks like and if we really haven't taken a hit on Danzaki other than the wage he's been paid already (and a the cost of a premium Zoom subscription), that would be good work from all involved and fixes a pretty big mistake.

Shields moving out is probably best for all concerned and again if that is done in a cost-free way because he's going for a decent wedge in India, then again that would maybe be better for our budget than was expected.

How many other genuine surplus to requirements players do we have left

Based on the First Team squad as published I'd say (in no particular order):

• McGinley - on the basis of the length of time he's been out and the fact I'm not really sure he fits the profile of wing back we're after - compare him with Furlong I guess.
  • Maguire - largely off the back of the fact that he was out on loan for the 2nd half of the season and he seems to have plateaued. At his age he probably needs to be playing every week and I'm not sure he will here.
  • Mahon - he's still young and a loan would probably work best. It seems doubtful he'd be playing ahead of either Spittal or Tierney.

Beyond that it's a case of mileage may vary - if we're genuinely looking at Balmer as a centre back then it maybe raises a question about Mugabi/Lamie? Both were extended as first team players but were bumped down to squad rotation but either way I wouldn't call them "surplus to requirements" they're still perfectly fine squad options.

We have McGinn, Butcher (inj), Blaney, Mugabi, Lamie and Campbell as CB options as it stands and after SK's chat about "protecting assets" and the general Max Johnston situation at the weekend it feels like Campbell is someone that we should have a plan for one way or another.

Unless Butcher's likely to be out for a significant period rather than just the start of the season - maybe Balmer in on loan until January fixes that issue.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, Swello said:

On McGinley - even if we got Furlong back, we'll need a backup and he's contracted - so I assumed he was "needed"

See, I kind of figured the back-up might be more likely to be Wilson.

Dunno though. I've literally never seen him play.

With Danzaki and (probably) Shields away, I wonder if there’ll be more we are actively looking to ship out.

Maguire is one I can’t see much of a future for, but given he was already away on loan when Kettlewell came in I wonder if he’ll get the league cup games.  Probably a few in that bracket actually.

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Based on the First Team squad as published I'd say (in no particular order):

• McGinley - on the basis of the length of time he's been out and the fact I'm not really sure he fits the profile of wing back we're after - compare him with Furlong I guess.
  • Maguire - largely off the back of the fact that he was out on loan for the 2nd half of the season and he seems to have plateaued. At his age he probably needs to be playing every week and I'm not sure he will here.
  • Mahon - he's still young and a loan would probably work best. It seems doubtful he'd be playing ahead of either Spittal or Tierney.

Beyond that it's a case of mileage may vary - if we're genuinely looking at Balmer as a centre back then it maybe raises a question about Mugabi/Lamie? Both were extended as first team players but were bumped down to squad rotation but either way I wouldn't call them "surplus to requirements" they're still perfectly fine squad options.

That’s exactly who’d be in my “move them on” list.

If it came down to Bevis or Lamie I think I’d let Bevis move on. If one of those two leaving lets us upgrade centre back then we should try it. 

I did notice on Instagram and that Bevis was out with a few former ‘Well and now St Mirren players recently. Maybe he fancies a move to Paisley.

6 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

With Danzaki and (probably) Shields away, I wonder if there’ll be more we are actively looking to ship out.

Maguire is one I can’t see much of a future for, but given he was already away on loan when Kettlewell came in I wonder if he’ll get the league cup games.  Probably a few in that bracket actually.

I was hoping Dundee might have taken Maguire permanently given they know what he's about and he's somewhat experienced at this level.

They must not know he's 2 footed. 

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Though not ideal, SOD has also played at left fullback/wingback a few times. So if we sign an out and out LWB (loan or otherwise) and the opportunity arose to move McGinley on, I'd expect that would be a backup option Kettlewell would consider.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Led to believe McGinley has also been playing left hand side of a back 3 in pre season. With Wilson in front of him. 

McGinley could be kept on for cover in that position. Also I was told that he is on relative peanuts at FP, so isn’t an expensive option to have around. 

Left back is being looked at. 

9 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Led to believe McGinley has also been playing left hand side of a back 3 in pre season. With Wilson in front of him. 

McGinley could be kept on for cover in that position. Also I was told that he is on relative peanuts at FP, so isn’t an expensive option to have around. 

Left back is being looked at. 

See, rewinding all the way back to when Robinson first signed McGinley I’m pretty sure he was brought in as a left sided centre back and it was injuries that led to him getting a sustained run as a left back.

Tbh, given the length of time he’s been out he may just be happy enough to be floating around the squad as cover.

Edited by capt_oats