Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Alexander's approach to preseason was an embarrassment. We were quite shite in all his league cup games but that Airdrie game was an embarrassment. We looked a massively unfit group of lads who had no idea how to play together which is probably because we were a massively unfit group of lads who had no idea how to play together. 

Last night I am ok with being a bit shit. It appears that Lamie was having one of his proper calamitous performances. From folk I know that went along he was responsible for 3 goals being conceded (one being offside) before getting himself sent off. I've got belief in SK to never put him anywhere near a starting XI after watching that.

Mugabi is a big unit and if we just need someone to header things away I can just about handle that to help see a game out. The guy gives me the absolute fear when he has the ball at his feet though. 

The performance was alright in retrospect. I was just frustrated at the lack of pressing at some points and Lamie as a whole. The offside goal looked onside to myself as well. Lamie just standing there and didn't even bother to move or make a tackle/intercept the incoming balls.

The biggest disappointment was that Lamie wasn't subbed at some point during the match. He'll, we could have swapped him with Kelly and that would have made an improvement.

If this result ends up with us never using /starting lamie again the I would consider this a miracle. Mugabi wasn't that bad either  but definitely not a Starter is possible.

Also got to consider the pitch itself, as it was a freshly laid/set-up astro turf pitch that was constantly soaked by the rain. Thr ball movements were weird compared to a normal match (ball stopping, sliding faster,bouncing awkwardly etc). We got caught out a few times like that throughout the match. Hopefully this will be a good learning experience and that we actually do use this as a spring board to a more cohesive starting 11 squad.

48 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Alexander's approach to preseason was an embarrassment. We were quite shite in all his league cup games but that Airdrie game was an embarrassment. We looked a massively unfit group of lads who had no idea how to play together which is probably because we were a massively unfit group of lads who had no idea how to play together. 

Last night I am ok with being a bit shit. It appears that Lamie was having one of his proper calamitous performances. From folk I know that went along he was responsible for 3 goals being conceded (one being offside) before getting himself sent off. I've got belief in SK to never put him anywhere near a starting XI after watching that.

Mugabi is a big unit and if we just need someone to header things away I can just about handle that to help see a game out. The guy gives me the absolute fear when he has the ball at his feet though. 

" just need someone to header things away". 

Mugabi is not good at heading either. For example check him against Dundee Utd in last game of last season up against Fletcher. Beaten every time.

9 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Mugabi is not good at heading either. For example check him against Dundee Utd in last game of last season up against Fletcher. Beaten every time.

He won every single ball aerially last night? That side of his game isn't the issue. Using a single game in isolation to beat him on a part of his game that is actually not bad is ever so slightly harsh.

12 minutes ago, Marinello said:

I dunno. Maybe he's good at magic tricks or makes a mean cappuccino for the lads. 

Not to white knight Lamie or make any sort of excuses as we've seen him be an absolute shambles when he's actually fit but I guess it's worth caveating the fact that last night was his first competitive start since he had that operation at the tail end of the season and it's not as if he was a first team regular during Kettlewell's 14 game run either.

He'd played 39 minutes of first team football since the Aberdeen game on the 4th of February.

Again, no argument from me that he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI but if one of the objectives of these games (besides winning a game of fitba' and qualifying) is to get minutes in the legs he's probably one of the squad who is likely to be furthest away from being match sharp.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Again, no argument from me that he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI but if one of the objectives of these games (besides winning a game of fitba' and qualifying) is to get minutes in the legs he's probably one of the squad who is likely to be furthest away from being match sharp.

Minutes in the legs

I wasn't at the game last night, so these are more comments in general rather than about their performances last night.

I can't remember if I read it on here or elsewhere, but I saw a great point about the fact for Mugabi to get to the competent stage, he needs a sustained run of games, which makes him ineligble to be used as cover. He's also not good enough to be first pick, so we really have limited uses for him. His best run of form ever was when he was playing right-back (or right of four centre backs) under Alexander. He didn't need to show any of the attacking side of a full-back and could play to what his centre-back strengths are without putting us in immediate danger. He seems a lovely big chap, but there's no denying he's made individual, costly errors time and time again for us. 

As well as being much better on the ball than Mugabi, I would say that when both are having good days, Lamie is considerably better than Mugabi. However, like reports from last night of a needless red and a part in all three queens goals suggest, Lamie is capable of absolute capitulation when he's having a bad day or night. Others might disagree, but it seems with Mugabi, you talk about a mistake he's made, whereas with Lamie you talk about the bad game he's had.

Fortunately, when everyone is fit we have our back three of McGinn - Butcher - Casey with Blaney as a first sub (admittedly I'm still not sure how good he is). Until Butcher returns we are left in something of a pickle where we probably can't move both on.

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

He won every single ball aerially last night? That side of his game isn't the issue. Using a single game in isolation to beat him on a part of his game that is actually not bad is ever so slightly harsh.

United game was an example of his poor aerial ability not a stand alone performance. The examples are countless not least Bevis in Sligo where he was dominated throughout in the air by forwards smaller than him.

If however on the strength of last night he is now making use of his height then better late than never.

Still of course doesn't compensate for his other well documented deficiencies which I'm sure we both agree on.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Not to white knight Lamie or make any sort of excuses as we've seen him be an absolute shambles when he's actually fit but I guess it's worth caveating the fact that last night was his first competitive start since he had that operation at the tail end of the season and it's not as if he was a first team regular during Kettlewell's 14 game run either.

He'd played 39 minutes of first team football since the Aberdeen game on the 4th of February.

Fair points and it is important to place Lamie’s performance in context. 

How he found himself isolated on the touch line against a nippy winger for their second goal remains a mystery but the outcome was inevitable. Re the penalty he shouldn’t have been going for that ball as he could not have been certain he was getting there first. That said the QOS boy played the ref like a fiddle.

On the plus side Lennon Miller looks like the real deal- hopefully we can loan him to Newcastle for 5 million.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

:lol:

That 2nd goal btw. 

You’ve got two of your centre backs in Lamie and Mugabi outside the box when the cross is coming in. Meanwhile Sods and Souare are left defending the 6 yard box as 3 Queens players are lining up unmarked at the back post. 

It was noticeable on the final day against Utd just how disorganised and unstructured the back 3 looked without Butcher. Players all over the place and big gaps suddenly opening up everywhere. I mean Mugabi can barely be trusted to be in the right position himself half the time, let alone organise those around him. 

You’ve got to hope Casey can take over in a similar role in his absence but the worrying thing I suppose is that we’ve not seen what Casey himself is like yet without Butcher next to him.

Edited by Casagolda

Has there been any chat about Liam Kelly leaving? Struck me that we're either trying to see if Oxborough is any good to replace Kelly or putting him in the shop window. I know that Kelly hasn't had much of a break because he was with the Scotland squad as well.

16 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Lamie should have been punted when he signed that pre-contract with Dundee. Shambles of a player. 

Kinda mad that we were all kinda fine with him then chucking the pre-contract to stay. Goes to show that there was a point in time when he was generally viewed as decent. 

Lamie's crab shuffle & inefectual wee push (rather than making any attempt to win the ball or block the cross) for the 2nd goal conceded is a really bad habit he's had since his time at Livi. I've seen that specific move a couple of times and in general he's far too quick to put his arms out and unbalance himself in situations where he should be paying attention to the ball. Matches his psuedo hard man persona, two footed tackles and all, when he gets frustrated.

It's the sort of thing that you'd expect would have been coached out of a 30 year-old long since. Mugabi has never been great, but at least you could chart some small improvements in his play and defensive awareness in the seasons since he signed as an emergency backup, while Lamie seems to have regressed in the last 2 seasons.

Edited by For Your Pies Only

39 minutes ago, CoF said:

Kinda mad that we were all kinda fine with him then chucking the pre-contract to stay. Goes to show that there was a point in time when he was generally viewed as decent. 

I do think there was a bit of a split in the support when that happened. Recall a lot of people saying it was the ideal time to part company. Can't argue that he had a purple patch towards the end of that season under Alexander, but overall I think he's been a pretty awful signing.  Really didn't understand the desire to keep him, especially after he had pretty much demonstrated his desire to leave.