Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

After many years away and watching matches online, it was great to get back to Fir Park. 

Old stadium (quirky as it is) and playing surface look fantastic. 

Fans also very supportive of the team. 

Might not be the best team I've watched over the years, but, Kettlewell and Frail have a squad that seem to be together and understand his tactics. 

Hopefully a good support and match against St.Mirren.

Hopefully as good as the 27000++ match back in the 70's. Majorettes - Get it up ye, while your young!!! and Fergie, Fergie shut yir mouth. Never to be forgotten. 

Good luck lads and support the team with noise and colour. Proud together. 

Motherwell FC

I was glad we didn't sign Moult this summer. Last season I had absolutely no issues with his ability, if anything I thought he was pretty decent when he was on the park. But his availability was the issue and I'm feeling a sense of deja-vu all over again here.

Looking at the timing of us signing Bair and Biereth and even Wilkinson, did we sign Obika because we really wanted him, or because he was in the building already, and we were facing pre-season with no recognised #9? 

If we are getting drawn in to the Obika and Mandron debate, from what I've seen Obika is a better player. I know Mandron got an injury that kept him out for a while last season, but theoretically is Obika being available for 8 games a season worth more to us than Mandron being available for, say, 30?

I'm less concerned now that I'd see our front two being Biereth and Wilkinson, but another question I'd have to ask is did we really *need* to bring him on for the last 10 minutes on Sunday? Would Efford have done? Could we have brought on Davor earlier and pushed Spittal up?

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I was glad we didn't sign Moult this summer. Last season I had absolutely no issues with his ability, if anything I thought he was pretty decent when he was on the park. But his availability was the issue and I'm feeling a sense of deja-vu all over again here.

Looking at the timing of us signing Bair and Biereth and even Wilkinson, did we sign Obika because we really wanted him, or because he was in the building already, and we were facing pre-season with no recognised #9? 

If we are getting drawn in to the Obika and Mandron debate, from what I've seen Obika is a better player. I know Mandron got an injury that kept him out for a while last season, but theoretically is Obika being available for 8 games a season worth more to us than Mandron being available for, say, 30?

I'm less concerned now that I'd see our front two being Biereth and Wilkinson, but another question I'd have to ask is did we really *need* to bring him on for the last 10 minutes on Sunday? Would Efford have done? Could we have brought on Davor earlier and pushed Spittal up?

Aye, IMO the difference between Moult last season and Obika just now is that Hammell brought Moult (and Aarons) in with a view to them having active first team roles whereas it's been pretty clear that while he obviously has a specific first team role Obika is here in as support behind the Wilkinson/Biereth pair with Bair and (for the moment) Efford as additional cover along with Ferrie and Spittal in a pinch.

He’s not the Save Our Season Hail Mary Moult seemed to be for Hammell.

I'd guess that the idea was to give him 10 mins and see how he got on. I mean, going by what we've heard about Efford he's hardly been a picture of health in the time Kettlewell's been here either.

50 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Does this end the rumours of Efford being away? Will be interesting to see if we look for another back-up striker. 

This is what I was wondering in general tbh as between Biereth, Wilkinson, Bair and Obika it looks like Efford is down around 5th choice striker and as @crazylegsjoe_mfc mentions above, we opted to give Obika 10 mins rather than Efford.

Depends whether or not you want to read anything into that particular choice.

It also feels like Efford is a very different player to Obika/Bair so I wouldn't say you could easily swap like for like. If Kettlewell is looking for a 2nd striker in the role that Obika has then it's pretty clear that's not Efford whether he's fit or not which I suppose speaks to Kettlewell's whole line about not wanting to have players kicking about the squad who aren't likely to be contributing to the first team.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Time to test St Mirren's resolve and put a bid in for Mandron.

Very sorry, but he’s not for sale. We love big John (and his song) but, from what I have seen so far, Mandron will get more goals for us than Beeks did. I get that he’s not expected to be your top scorer, but his very good performances were too rare for my liking.

1 minute ago, Kempes said:

Very sorry, but he’s not for sale. We love big John (and his song) but, from what I have seen so far, Mandron will get more goals for us than Beeks did. I get that he’s not expected to be your top scorer, but his very good performances were too rare for my liking.

I think you're missing the massive sarcasm that's dripping from Yassin's post. You are very welcome to keep the smiley big wavy-limbed inflatable guy.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Aye, more bad news for Obika. 

Does this end the rumours of Efford being away? Will be interesting to see if we look for another back-up striker. 

From what I hear - looking for another striker to replace Obika now but Efford away to another SPFL club. Keen to get him off the wage bill, pretty highly paid, Lamie and Maguire also likely to depart if things move through as they hope.