Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Think yesterday answers the 'why isn't Joe Efford getting a game question?', contributed so little that I wouldn't be surprised if Kettlewell actually forgot about him when asked about the striking options. 

Poor first half performance. Great second half display from the team, manager got it spot on at half time. Slattery and Spittal have been phenomenal under Kettlewell eh? 

Agreed about SODs hitting the pens, was also another solid performance from Steve Clarke's laddie, wish some in the support would gee him a break. 

Never mind Efford showing why he isn't getting a game, it showed why he won't be at the club this time next week.

Getting Slattery and Spittal extended should be priority one the day after the window closes.

And yes, SOD has settled a lot but we saw what the kid on the other side offered and if the budget is there for another generic 'can run all day speedster' it'd be well spent. 

Next pen can be anyone but Slattery quite frankly, that was an absolutely shocking effort.

22 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Next pen can be anyone but Slattery quite frankly, that was an absolutely shocking effort.

I watched the highlights back this morning and don't know if it was a deliberate tactic or not but I noticed their keeper was standing well left of centre and Slats goes and aims it for the small gap rather than the big open space 🤔. Tbf tho he had a brilliant game and the penalty miss only added to the excitement of the last minute winner.  

The midfield are going to have to do some serious heavy lifting over the next few months as this is as close to a team playing without any strikers as I've ever seen, and I'm including Scotland's 4-6-0 debacle in that. 

I could only follow on the twitter updates and when I saw Casey had scored and then won a pen I assumed it had all come from set pieces…nope. Some finish from the big man too, very composed. Ahead of Efford in the striker depth chart for me. 

Casey had clearly been watching/learning from Mika and a certain big weird Dutchman with that composed finish. 

I still think this will be a big week for the club transfer wise. The bench we had yesterday just won’t do. I’m hoping for Furlong or another lwb, a centre back to replace Mugabi and at least one forward. 

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Casey had clearly been watching/learning from Mika and a certain big weird Dutchman with that composed finish. 

I still think this will be a big week for the club transfer wise. The bench we had yesterday just won’t do. I’m hoping for Furlong or another lwb, a centre back to replace Mugabi and at least one forward. 

I'd say there's no chance we're replacing Mugabi unless there's a team actively interested in him.

If that's Wilko out for a couple of months on top of Biereth and Obika then the priorities are strikers then a LWB.

Looking at that from a "one in, one out" POV I'd say that Efford and McGinley (he's on the bench but we've no intention of playing him so what's the point?) are the two clear options to facilitate getting a couple of bodies in.

Edited by capt_oats

I probably didn’t quite appreciate at the time just how tremendous a team goal it actually was.

Spittal’s back heel, the flick by Spencer at the back post, the touch and finish from Casey. I think every player bar McGinn(and Kelly) touches the ball at some point. Genuinely brilliant stuff from one end to the other. 

Also absolutely here for Casey going mental and then giving the Killie boy some verbals on the way back to the half way line. 

Great stuff all round. 

Edited by Casagolda

11 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I probably didn’t quite appreciate at the time just how tremendous a team goal it actually was.

We'd be able to appreciate stuff like that a lot more if we binned this obsession with filming everything at 874 x zoom. There's a reason no c**t sits in the front row at the cinema unless they have to.

General rule - if you film a player making a pass, and you can't see the other player receiving it without moving the camera, you're zoomed in too far.

Edited by Al B

25 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I see we have right up to midnight on Friday to get folk in (or out).

15 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Spittal’s back heel, the flick by Spencer at the back post, the touch and finish from Casey. I think every player bar McGinn(and Kelly) touches the ball at some point. Genuinely brilliant stuff from one end to the other. 

Also absolutely here for Casey going mental and then giving the Killie boy some verbals on the way back to the half way line. 

Great stuff all round. 

Was working yesterday so missed the game, but clocked Casey giving it some to their boy in the highlights. What was the score there, an ongoing thing throughout the game?

Absolutely love Dan's attitude, right in about it with no fucks given. 

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd say there's no chance we're replacing Mugabi unless there's a team actively interested in him.

If that's Wilko out for a couple of months on top of Biereth and Obika then the priorities are strikers then a LWB.

Looking at that from a "one in, one out" POV I'd say that Efford and McGinley (he's on the bench but we've no intention of playing him so what's the point?) are the two clear options to facilitate getting a couple of bodies in.

I’d say replacing Mugabi is maybe just wishful thinking on my behalf. I don’t trust him and still don’t understand why he’s starting ahead of Blaney. Prove me wrong Bevis. 

Ideally Efford and McGinley leave. I’m not sure who would be willing to take the later given his lack of minutes over the last few years. It would be a gamble to take him imo. 

3 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I’d say replacing Mugabi is maybe just wishful thinking on my behalf. I don’t trust him and still don’t understand why he’s starting ahead of Blaney. Prove me wrong Bevis. 

Ideally Efford and McGinley leave. I’m not sure who would be willing to take the later given his lack of minutes over the last few years. It would be a gamble to take him imo. 

Because Casey isn't a centre of a 3 CB...  and Blaney certainly isn't.  No way can anyone have watched us this season and cmne away with Mugabi is an issue without having issue with all our CBs not named McGinn (and even then)

Edited by Antiochas III

Just now, Gianfranco said:

@Antiochas III has pretty much summed it up in the post above. Until Butcher is back Mugabi gets the nod in that position and with less than a week of the window to go I don't see that being on our to-do-list of things to address.

I'd have thought a Maguire-style loan to a National League side might be our best bet for McGinley.

Tbh, I had made my peace with him just sticking around as extreme defensive cover but I think the injuries to the 3 forwards changes the landscape in that respect if we're being true to our word with this "one in, one out" patter.