Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

An old boy behind me the other day was calling Bair "project fear" which I felt was quite harsh but also very funny.

We should start referring to him as The Bair Witch Project. 

13 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

You are all dead to me if you don't vote SOD to be player of the month. 

Just going to have to deal with that. Brodie (rightly imho) gets my vote 🗳️

To be fair Paton has been a lot better than I was expecting although he did have one of his poorer games at the weekend. 

On 16/09/2023 at 18:36, ropy said:

A shame we can’t play with 12, I think the midfield four works but I think we need two up front.  Maybe Shaw could shine up there on his own but Bair needs someone closer to him.  

I think we are still in the same place but perhaps have better options to chose from.

Kettlewell has shown great loyalty since he came in but if Butcher is fit he needs to come in and stiffen up the defence.

I suspect we start with the four in midfield until the minute Arsenal allow us to bring on Biereth, it may be we still start with Bair then bring on Wilkinson at the same time as Mika.

If Gent isn’t doing the business I wouldn’t change the wing backs.

Edited by ropy

12 hours ago, ropy said:

Kettlewell has shown great loyalty since he came in but if Butcher is fit he needs to come in and stiffen up the defence.

Think Butcher needs some game time BUT there is no way we should be risking him on that plastic monstrosity that Killie call a football park !!!!! 

14 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Think Butcher needs some game time BUT there is no way we should be risking him on that plastic monstrosity that Killie call a football park !!!!! 

Definitely.

Butcher should play as much as possible tomorrow but I’d save him from Killie’s pitch on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

image.thumb.png.a659709d5c108ef0c633b5f4cbc2e16c.png

I haven't seen enough of him to tell you if he's that good but I am certain his ankles are made out of Weetabix.

Who the f**k is signing these deals off?  The recruitment team needs binned.  In the last 18 months alone, we've signed Moult, Aarons, Souare & Obika.  All proven crocks, and between them I'd guess they've started less than a dozen games combined.  

I get, at our level, we're taking chances on new signings being a good player, but it's unacceptable to be signing players who'll spend 90% of their contract in the treatment room.  It's even worse to be doing it repeatedly. 

30 minutes ago, Desp said:

Who the f**k is signing these deals off?  The recruitment team needs binned.  In the last 18 months alone, we've signed Moult, Aarons, Souare & Obika.  All proven crocks, and between them I'd guess they've started less than a dozen games combined.  

I get, at our level, we're taking chances on new signings being a good player, but it's unacceptable to be signing players who'll spend 90% of their contract in the treatment room.  It's even worse to be doing it repeatedly. 

Was debating this in a group chat earlier and while it's impossible to be 100% sure, I'd be amazed if the final call isn't with the manager. I just don't see the CEO/recruitment head making a decision like that.

The stats guys, recruitment, medical etc will provide the info but the ultimate question to Hammell/Kettlewell is, you know the budget, you know the wages, you know X's potential and injury record, are you happy to stake your future on signing this guy or will we keep looking?

It's maybe different at the end of the window (hammell era) when there's possibly X (Moult!) or no one left but I think the bill for Souare and Obika is very much on kettlewell's account.

58 minutes ago, Desp said:

You don't have to go too far back to add Juhani Ojala or Eddie Nolan to that list as well.

Extending Obika's deal was mind boggling - especially as we saw his injury problems in action.

But Souare, I just can't understand how someone looked at him and thought he was going to be a worthwhile signing. Obviously, he was an EPL regular before his car crash in 2016 and it looks like that's pretty much killed his career, which is sad for him. I looked at his transfermarkt page and he's only started 29 league games (only 18 of which he completed) in the seven years between then and him signing for us. I don't know who looked at that and thought he could be a regular in a physical team.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's almost like having someone moving ahead of him is good.

Oh absolutely 👍 Ross County defenders had cigars out with Bair and Shaw faffing about as it was all in front of them. With Biereth and Wilkinson running in behind the two RC centre half’s immediately began browning their shorts leading to the calamity/ hospital pass before our second goal.

There’s a couple of articles today in the Daily Record. The website crashed twice on me so I’ve not linked it but one was about us trying to sign Lennon Miller on a new deal with Kettlewell quotes and the other was about high profile players liking a Mika social media post about our comeback on Saturday. There was also Mika quotes about drawing at home to County not being good enough. I like the cut of Mika’s jib. 

I feel sorry for Shane Blaney, his time at Motherwell can’t have gone as he expected, got injured after he got in the team and then Butcher and Casey came in ahead of him in the pecking order. I would have thought he could have displaced Bevis in this recent run of games but Kettlewell had other ideas.  Will he just move on in the summer after a wasted 18 months?