Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

35 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I also refuse to accept that a club being relegated ever benefits in anyway or is “reset” as a result. 

I agree with this - we've had multiple "resets" (not all good ones obviously) all while being in the top flight and I'm fine with that - the risk of relegation is too high.

This "investment" stuff is the same shite McMahon has been bleating on about for years. It's not insightful to suggest we need investment. That's blatantly obvious, I'd be very surprised at any "investment". Fantasist stuff. 

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This "investment" stuff is the same shite McMahon has been bleating on about for years. It's not insightful to suggest we need investment. That's blatantly obvious, I'd be very surprised at any "investment". Fantasist stuff. 

You could well be right - the quote can be read two ways I guess:

“We have undertaken a large amount of work and held numerous discussions to explore how we could best achieve this. The final stages of a fund-raising initiative are almost complete and will be ready to be shared early in the New Year.

Does this mean that the "initiative" itself is ready to be shared or the results of it? If it's the latter, great - if it's the former, really not great.

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye the whole "The final stages of a fund-raising initiative" could just be more of the same. Hopefully not and there is something on the way, but as you have said we've been here before. Really not much information in that statement. 

1 minute ago, Swello said:

You could well be right - the quote can be read two ways I guess:

Does this mean that the "initiative" itself is ready to be shared or the results of it? If it's the latter, great - if it's the former, really not great.

I'll be honest, I read it as the former. Essentially they've come up with an "initiative" that they're going to share rather than investment having been secured.

I mean, I suppose it all depends what the "initiative" actually is. Is it a definitive commercial project or is it simply "here's some things the supporters can do to generate cash".

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I'll be honest, I read it as the former. Essentially they've come up with an "initiative" that they're going to share rather than investment having been secured.

I mean, I suppose it all depends what the "initiative" actually is. Is it a definitive commercial project or is it simply "here's some things the supporters can do to generate cash".

At the last 2 AGMs - they've talked about targeting "ethical" investors (rather than Saudis, Emiratis and er, Americans I guess) - which sounds nice in theory but also sounded like pie in the sky TBH. If they are still just talking about it and the plan hasn't changed, that seems to re-enforce the point (and Jim McMahon apologised last year that basically f**k all had been done in the 12 months since he and Burrows last mentioned it).

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

giphy.gif

Same. This is the same as Hibs fans saying "Actually getting relegated and being in the Championship for three years was good!", because they won the Scottish cup.

I mean, they did, but that isn't because they were in the championship. It's not an either or. You can fix problems without having to go to Dumbarton twice a season, for example.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Watered down to 51% absolutely, 49% absolutely not - you might have a better next year or even decade, and what happens when that person is bored and wants their money back?

The lack of viable alternatives was a reason for sure but so was long-term - decades and decades - of not being at the whim of one person or group. It would take a lot of convincing for me to think that's worth sacrificing and a few more bob to help avoid short-term suffering on the pitch does not come close to cutting it.

Don’t disagree. But my point is simply any serious investor would want majority control. Or should do. I would. 

Nobody comes along and says I am prepared to invest say £20m in Motherwell FC and I am happy with the Well Society calling the shots or having more voting rights.

I certainly would not want an investment that carried huge risks to the future of the club or someone offering money with a view to getting every penny back. 

If it is a case that they are only proposals for increased investment then that is also disappointing. Unless of course this whole media announcement is to make it clear that we are open to serious discussions and to notify any interested parties.

But then which football club is not open to investment etc. St Johnstone are up for sale. Livingston appeared to have been sold but that is now in the hands of the law courts it would appear. Perhaps no surprise these 3 clubs are near the bottom of the league. 

Edited by welldaft

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Don’t disagree. By my point is simply any serious investor would want majority control. Or should do. I would. 

Nobody comes along and says I am prepared to invest say £20m in Motherwell FC and I am happy with the Well Society calling the shots or having more voting rights.

99% yes... however, if we accept that there isn't any money to be made, an investor getting on board for other reasons (not necessarily positive for us either if you look to England and elsewhere) might be more open to negotiation in that regard than usual.

Someone looking to boost their image while writing off some money for tax purposes may be relatively content to let us get on with it... alternatively depending on how we'd be (not) liable for any investment, the Society may take a back seat on running the club year to year subject to a handful of security clauses.

I think all this is very theoretical mind, and will look a bit silly when we ask fans to sponsor blades of grass or something 🙂

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I think all this is very theoretical mind, and will look a bit silly when we ask fans to sponsor blades of grass or something 🙂

Well I would definitely do that 😂.

Busta is most probably correct. We have been fan owned for 7 odd years. More than enough time for some random wealthy dude (or dudess) to want to throw money at us for no apparent reason.

I always thought we were quite a cool club. Cool name ✅. Cool colours✅.  All the more reasons to throw money at us………and then I wake up. 

Is this whole thing not about a change in structure to allow for more external investment to be considered that has perhaps just been voted down previously? 

In theory anyway, that's not to say we've had folk queuing up, it's pretty clear they haven't been. 

Edited by MurrayWell