Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 hours ago, Quatermass said:

Livi have 1 win in 21 (against us).

We have 1 win in 18 (against Livi).

Unless decent bodies are brought in sharpish it’s only going one way. I would not trust ANY of these players in a Play Off.

Indeed. 

It’s not that a lot of the players don’t care, but Mugabi, O’Donnell, Butcher, Casey, Kelly etc are always likely to make a goal costing mistake. 

Defending set pieces has been a weak spot all season and doesn’t show any signs of improving, is that going to change just because it’s a play off double header?

Edited by Allroy for Prez

14 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Livi have 1 win in 21 (against us).

We have 1 win in 18 (against Livi).

Unless decent bodies are brought in sharpish it’s only going one way. I would not trust ANY of these players in a Play Off.

Those figures are damning. However I do think we have improved of late. Only 2 defeats in 10 (including matches v Rangers and Celtic) paints a slightly better picture. 

I will not lie. I thought we would lose on Saturday. Simply as we had the (much) smaller squad, options from the bench and the 1 fit striker.  But again we came back from (yet another awful) a goal down and certainly were the better of the two teams in the 2nd half.  Why I still fully support Kettlewell. He has been served a bit of a sh1t sandwich and yet he just gets on with it. Does not complain about injuries or budgets.  He still manages to get a tune out of a threadbare team/ squad. 

So I am not too despondent - despite what I post on here 🙂 . If we can hold St Johnstone to an away draw and then sufficiently strengthen we will be OK.  The big Q mark is over the next 36 hours.  If we bring in a few decent additions then I think we will kick on and finish 10th and probably above.  No drama.  If we make a mess of the next 36 hours then a play off place is probably a much closer possibility than it needed to be. 

I reckon we'll bring in a couple of jobbers before / on deadline day then see who's available afterwards. 

I'm sure this time last year we were all cursing the lack of defensive signings but we then signed both Casey and Butcher after the window shut. 

For that reason I'm remaining (relatively) calm for now. 

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I reckon we'll bring in a couple of jobbers before / on deadline day then see who's available afterwards. 

I'm sure this time last year we were all cursing the lack of defensive signings but we then signed both Casey and Butcher after the window shut. 

For that reason I'm remaining (relatively) calm for now. 

I don't think we're a million miles away from being ok. But while we've certainly improved box to box, we don't keep clean sheets and if we're going to give away at least one a game, we'll need a significant boost in attack if we're to score enough for this season not to go to the last minute (and maybe extra-time).

Looking forward to the collective aneurysms on Motherwell Twitter when we announce two wing-backs.

I was away to say that we generally don't tend to make fan pleasing signings these days then remembered that we signed Moult last season which was as much of a "give them what they want" direction as we could go tbh.

Other than KVV I'm not really sure who's kicking about and attainable that would get a decent sort of approval rating.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Other than KVV I'm not really sure who's kicking about and attainable that would get a decent sort of approval rating.

You'll never please everyone all the time, certainly outside a returning hero or out the blue purchase like Ozbolt would have managed.

Personally I'd be happy if there's one youth body to make up numbers and one, shall we say, established senior forward. Which if we're signing him at this stage will clearly have some downside too...but I'd call that as good as we can get by now.

Yeah, I mean, even if we finish 11th its pretty dificult for Prem teams to conspire to lose the play-off is it not.

Even last year Ross Co looked down and out in the playoff and still stayed up.

Edited by Richie

9 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Hearing that Brophy wants to come to us. Brophy and agent pushing for this but Adams is against the move as it would be seen as helping a rival.

Space this and watch come to mind.

They payed money for him, did they not? I think St Mirren payed a fee for him too. A loan would seem very weird, as he'd still be under contract with them for next year and playing for their direct relegation rivals, so we'd be paying for him too. That would be weird as well.

However, it's not often we get to sign a Scotland international striker in the prime years of his career.

Edited by rowsdower

16 hours ago, rowsdower said:

That was the comments every week when he was here too. It's the downside of putting yourself out there and being open, looks good when things are going well, but you're right there in the firing line when things go tits up.

Yeah but I mean in much smaller numbers to be fair but very true.

In relation to signings, I get the impression that we have moved onto A4 page number 4 re striking options. Working down the list to see who we can afford, who wants to actually come, who St Mirren or Killie or Dundee won’t steal. 

We will get one maybe two in but I dont believe them to be anywhere near Kettlewells first or first 10 choices. 

I have heard however re Montgomery that we are keeping him on our books. Celtic will do all the rehab and won’t ask us to pay his wage share until he is fit and back with our squad. Looking like 2 months out. Maybe a bit more. 

20 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Whisper it but I think we might be fine regardless if we bring a couple in or not.

Maybe. But running with one fit experienced striker is not in anyways understandable nor acceptable. If you acknowledge Shaw was a signing brought on by injuries then we would have been running with 4 and certainly no less than 3. So I still hope we will bring in 2 forwards. Bair has been a pleasant surprise of late but there is not enough evidence to suggest he will continue to score every game.

If it was Brophy and one more then fine. But Brophy alone - not for me. 

4 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

They payed money for him, did they not? I think St Mirren payed a fee for him too. A loan would seem very weird, as he'd still be under contract with them for next year and playing for their direct relegation rivals, so we'd be paying for him too. That would be weird as well.

However, it's not often we get to sign a Scotland international striker in the prime years of his career.

An injury prone International player…

I assume he is fit to play for Ross County. So it does beg the Q why he is not. 

2 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I have heard however re Montgomery that we are keeping him on our books. Celtic will do all the rehab and won’t ask us to pay his wage share until he is fit and back with our squad. Looking like 2 months out. Maybe a bit more. 

That would be a fair compromise and hopefully free up some wages for us to play with. 

I work with a Blackburn fan who had the following to say about Jack Vale. For context, he had never heard of Georgie Gent.

yeah i've heard of him, he's alright you know

he was going to be one of the next star to come from the academy but just didn't work out 

not clinical though if a goalscorer is what you're after 🤣

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I work with a Blackburn fan who had the following to say about Jack Vale. For context, he had never heard of Georgie Gent.

yeah i've heard of him, he's alright you know

he was going to be one of the next star to come from the academy but just didn't work out 

not clinical though if a goalscorer is what you're after 🤣

The point about not being clinical I can kind of see if your man is judging him on playing for Blackburn's first team.

Looking at his numbers he's made 25 appearances for their first team but only scored twice.

That said, he has 24 goals and 12 assists in 53 for their u21s.

Screenshot2024-01-31at16_37_46.thumb.png.b533d68601bd4ecd6f1d81f4ae73a73c.png

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-vale/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/496660

Edited by capt_oats

Getting to that point in time where the people on both sides of potential deals start to get twitchy and it becomes a matter of seeing who blinks first. 

Players who are playing teams off against each other maybe start to get nervous that all the sides involved get to a point that their patience/nerve runs out and go after other targets with time running out, leaving said player out in the cold on all fronts. And likewise, managers and chairmen making the decision on whether or not to chuck an extra few hundred quid a week at a deal to steal a march and get their man over the line. 

C'mon tae feck Motherwell, give us someone to (a) anoint as our new saviour / (b) proclaim as utterly shite with our relegation fate now sealed*

*Delete as applicable, but probably mostly (b).

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The point about not being clinical I can kind of see if your man is judging him on playing for Blackburn's first team.

Looking at his numbers he's made 25 appearances for their first team but only scored twice.

That said, he has 24 goals and 12 assists in 53 for their u21s.

Screenshot2024-01-31at16_37_46.thumb.png.b533d68601bd4ecd6f1d81f4ae73a73c.png

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-vale/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/496660

Oh aye, that's spot on. Some quick maths on those statistics would tell you that if he's played 25 times and nearly 1000 minutes that those average out at less than 40 minutes an appearance, so it's not like he's started 25 games.

His stats don't look too different to the last striker we got on loan from Blackburn, Nick Blackman, before he came up to us.

I don't think we're going to sign any striker today or tomorrow and be wowed by their recent goal return. 

46 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Maybe. But running with one fit experienced striker is not in anyways understandable nor acceptable. If you acknowledge Shaw was a signing brought on by injuries then we would have been running with 4 and certainly no less than 3. So I still hope we will bring in 2 forwards. Bair has been a pleasant surprise of late but there is not enough evidence to suggest he will continue to score every game.

If it was Brophy and one more then fine. But Brophy alone - not for me. 

Yeah, agreed - we shouldn't run with one senior striker unless we suddenly think Ferrie and/or others are seriously going to contribute and can, at times, run the attack themselves. It's far far too risky. 

But, I do think if it ended up that way it might end up being fine, I guess is my point. 

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Oh aye, that's spot on. Some quick maths on those statistics would tell you that if he's played 25 times and nearly 1000 minutes that those average out at less than 40 minutes an appearance, so it's not like he's started 25 games.

His stats don't look too different to the last striker we got on loan from Blackburn, Nick Blackman, before he came up to us.

I don't think we're going to sign any striker today or tomorrow and be wowed by their recent goal return. 

Definitely.

The other thing is that it seems to be the default mindset of the 'modern fitba' fan' to just fire up Wiki and make a judgement based on games/goals without framing it or giving any context.

18 of those 25 appearances have been at Championship level - if he's scoring regularly in that league then either a) Blackburn aren't going to be loaning him out or b) we can't afford to buy him.

Which brings us back to the point that any striker that we sign in a January window is unlikely to be in a rich vein of form however there may be something underlying which might make them a fit for us. Which, tbf, is a point Kettlewell was making in a press conference the other week.