Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson would eat Mallan alive. He's neither physical enough nor involved enough for a Robinson team.

He'd hover about 30 yards from goal and ping all sorts of cracking efforts at the target, though which is immensely entertaining but in a team full of dig, he definitely needs a player or two to do that side of the game for him. The definition of a luxury player.

Pretty sure Robinson tried to bring him to us a couple of times, before he went to Hibs and when they punted him to Turkey, from memory?

Generally I'd agree with you, but Robinson always seems to like a guy with something different about him; Tanner, Gboly, Ciftci, Hylton, Aarons, a bunch of others all played a fair amount for us, and they'd all be in the same boat as Mallan. 

Always felt that as long as they're contributing in some way, even if it isn't in blood and or thunder, he'll accommodate them.

Aye we were linked to Mallan. 
I don't really rate him either. Bit of a "luxury" type player (maybe I mean useless unless he's shooting).

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye we were linked to Mallan. 
I don't really rate him either. Bit of a "luxury" type player (maybe I mean useless unless he's shooting).

I wouldn't be against it at all tbh.

He's fairly box office so if it came to a choice between the highlight reels of Harry Paton: "Really good at lots of running" and Stevie Mallan: "This guy will score at least five absolute worldies" then I'm sorry but you need to grow up and sign Stevie Mallan.

I am quite happy about  that, he looks like he has something. A rest and a preseason and hopefully he can push on a wee bit too.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

He's fairly box office so if it came to a choice between the highlight reels of Harry Paton: "Really good at lots of running" and Stevie Mallan: "This guy will score at least five absolute worldies" then I'm sorry but you need to grow up and sign Stevie Mallan.

Nah. He's a quarter box office that Lionel was and even he frustrated the f**k out of fans. 

I don't think an SK 'well team has room for passengers. 

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

and even he frustrated the f**k out of fans. 

Yes, and those fans are losers who should not be pandered to. 👍

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Very hypothetical but I'd be surprised if we didn't consider Mallan. You wouldn't want a midfield with him times three but nor would you want three Harry Patons...and trying to work a bit consistency into a guy with a highlight reel is one of our standard plays. I imagine we'll be showing him the video of Spittal, his new wage at Hearts and saying this could be you in two years.

Happy enough Nicholson has signed.

I liked Nicholson in the limited amount of what we saw last season - seems to make the right decision a lot, seems well coached and is excellent technically. Seems like a good/sensible signing at our budget level.....

What's left recruitment wise for me will depend on whether we actually do want to have a Plan B, or if we are recruiting to have lots of cover in a 3-4-2-1. 

Would Stevie Mallan be one of the two deeper midfielders or in the Spittal role? I've not seen enough of him to know either way.

Mildly interesting nugget from Robert Thomson as part of the losing out to rivals/competitive budget conversation.

Apparently Steven MacLean the postie tried to sign Dan Casey for St Johnstone last summer.

Was that known?

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

What's left recruitment wise for me will depend on whether we actually do want to have a Plan B, or if we are recruiting to have lots of cover in a 3-4-2-1. 

Would Stevie Mallan be one of the two deeper midfielders or in the Spittal role? I've not seen enough of him to know either way.

Never ever ever put Mallan in a deep role that requires dig, tenacity or tackling.

We were 8 points adrift at the bottom of the Championship and doomed to the seaside leagues with no wins in 14 with Mallan playing that role before Jack Ross brought Stevie McGinn into that role to free Mallan up and give him the freedom to smack in belters on the weekly.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Never ever ever put Mallan in a deep role that requires dig, tenacity or tackling.

We were 8 points adrift at the bottom of the Championship and doomed to the seaside leagues with no wins in 14 with Mallan playing that role before Jack Ross brought Stevie McGinn into that role to free Mallan up and give him the freedom to smack in belters on the weekly.

I don't remember him in that detail obviously but I assume he'd be one of our number 10s in the 3-6-1 if we went for him. 

Was it him who rattled one in off the bar when (already relegated?) St Mirren scored twice late on to condemn us to the playoffs in 2015?

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't remember him in that detail obviously but I assume he'd be one of our number 10s in the 3-6-1 if we went for him. 

Was it him who rattled one in off the bar when (already relegated?) St Mirren scored twice late on to condemn us to the playoffs in 2015?

It was. Particularly annoying as we gave you a bit of a hounding that day and it was mere weeks after we rolled over and took a 5-0 pumping at Fir Park to condemn us.

From what I remember of Mallan, He was alright with the ball but useless out of possession. 

I was surprised to see he had as many appearances for Hibs as he did. 

Posted (edited)

Delighted with Nicholson signing. 

Mallan? Meh. Always thought of him as a bit like Spittal but without the endeavour, can score the odd screamer though in fairness. I'm really not sure he'd be someone I'd spend a lot of budget trying to get, as good on the ball as he might be. He'd probably enrage some within our support though, so that'd be a laugh if it did happen. 

Suppose he could be moulded into our new Goss, who was fucking class for us. 

Edited by MurrayWell