Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

"This vague plan to sell our club down the river is good enough for me, unless the Well Society counter with a very detailed plan that is accurate to the penny, is clearly better than the one I don't know the details of, and gets us a TV show like Mac and Deadpool did."

I think this tenuous netflix link has caused some folk to lose the run of themselves. Take that out and I doubt any of the current supporters of it would fancy it.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

Douglas Dickie burner account found.

image.png.1bfd388f0b2609f53d5e114546881d9b.png

This is what worries me. Our fan base is full of morons who see doing something (whatever that may be) as being better than doing nothing. 

The WS don't need to make alternative plans beyond slightly refining what we have in place now. By that, I mean binning some of the bowling green brigade we have on the board just now. 

Edited by Ron Aldo

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

This is what worries me. Our fan base is full of morons who see doing something (whatever that may be) as being better than doing nothing. 

The WS don't need to make alternative plans beyond slightly refining what we have in place now. By that, I meaning binning some of the bowling green brigade we have on the board just now. 

The comments on the statement really give me the fear. It really is any investment will do for some.

Callachan ffs. That’s a hard no from me. However he really does sound like a Kettlewell signing. Especially with being injured. 

Would be a signing that would be pointless IMO. Unless we need an injury prone player on the books to replace Obika and Soare? 

6 minutes ago, steelmen said:

The comments on the statement really give me the fear. It really is any investment will do for some.

Which is why we have an elected Well Society board to make these decisions!

Look at how the Well Scoiety was set up. Out side of elections the basic membership has almost no say on the day to day running of the society.

To instruct the Society to do anything you need to call a general meeting and get 66% of the vote for even the smallest thing, going up to 75% for any major change.

14 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

The WS don't need to make alternative plans beyond slightly refining what we have in place now. By that, I mean binning some of the bowling green brigade we have on the board just now. 

Steelboy said over on SOL this was really an IQ test of our support. Nailed it.

On a slight change of topic but I see Aberdeen signed Mitov from St Johnstone. 

That will likely leave us and St Johnstone looking at similar targets keeper wise. I'd like to recommend Scotland international Liam Kelly to them. 

Just now, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I did see someone make the Brexit comparison the other day, but the chat from the Executive Board definitely does give me flashbacks to the "350m to the NHS" written on the side of a bus.

i said that.

why have a referendum on something you don't want. All it will do is cause division. There is zero up side to it.

And if you lose, you lose big. Do the Well Society board want to be the David Camerons. Forever known as the people who gave away the club.

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

On a slight change of topic but I see Aberdeen signed Mitov from St Johnstone. 

That will likely leave us and St Johnstone looking at similar targets keeper wise. I'd like to recommend Scotland international Liam Kelly to them. 

They signed Josh Rae from Airdrie a few weeks ago

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

i said that.

why have a referendum on something you don't want. All it will do is cause division. There is zero up side to it.

And if you lose, you lose big. Do the Well Society board want to be the David Camerons. Forever known as the people who gave away the club.

I also remember, back then thinking "Surely there's no chance enough people will fall for this?"

Which does still give me slight concern about this deal actually being passed. 95% of what I've seen online is against the investment, but I don't have twitter and haven't been brave enough to venture onto Steelmen Online. I did also see barely anyone in favour of the last vote online and that ended up winning unanimously. 

You also wonder how the older demographic, who may not be across social media, will vote.

8 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Steelboy said over on SOL this was really an IQ test of our support. Nailed it.

The problem is out of all the Society Members how many are actually paying attention.

How many are involved in chat on here and Steelmen? 100 maybe.

How many are downloading the Motherwell accounts and looking to see what the club is actually worth.

How many know what EBITDA is. I don't.

The whole point of having an Board of the Well Society is so that ordinary members don't have to do all this. The Society Baord have made their position clear, that this is a bad deal because they have looked at the detail. They should not expect ordinary members to undertake the same dilligence. And that is why they should step in.

52 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Always reassuring when you Google search a potential signing and this is the first image... 

Screenshot_20240619-154628.thumb.png.5b741b7e75852493e2e954a0463171a4.png

(Knee)

43 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Callachan ffs. That’s a hard no from me. However he really does sound like a Kettlewell signing. Especially with being injured. 

Would be a signing that would be pointless IMO. Unless we need an injury prone player on the books to replace Obika and Soare? 

someone needs to keep the physios company

19 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

How many know what EBITDA is. I don't.

I wouldn't worry about it, even the statements are written by someone that thinks it stands for Erik Barmack Is The Da

23 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I also remember, back then thinking "Surely there's no chance enough people will fall for this?"

Which does still give me slight concern about this deal actually being passed. 95% of what I've seen online is against the investment, but I don't have twitter and haven't been brave enough to venture onto Steelmen Online. I did also see barely anyone in favour of the last vote online and that ended up winning unanimously. 

You also wonder how the older demographic, who may not be across social media, will vote.

See this is a myth about older people.

I'm in my 60s as are most of my Well supporting mates and believe it or not we're all media savvy, we just don't live our lives online.

There's about 20 of us who regularly meet up and there's not one of us who think this is a good deal.

Some were initially swayed by the glamour of an Anerican media mogul and all the marketing opportunities that could bring Motherwell to a more global audience.

That soon evaporated when the figures were produced.

There's no doubt ones out there who will vote in favour (if one ever happens) 

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Always reassuring when you Google search a potential signing and this is the first image... 

Screenshot_20240619-154628.thumb.png.5b741b7e75852493e2e954a0463171a4.png

There’s another picture…

… But student halls shenanigans notwithstanding, he hasn’t played in more than a year.

I’d use the immortal damning with faint praise comment - I’d have kept him but I’m surprised he’s found a club at Motherwell’s level. 

Edited by Savage Henry