Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye, I'd agree with that. Ketts in the main feels like he has a plan, even if the plan isn't working.

A side with no wingers and no-one to play the #10? That's Alexanderball baby!

It's Davidson-ball.

Entire game plan is based around goals being random things that just happen, so keep it tight as long as possible and if you fluke a goal great, and if you don't then it's 0-0 and that's fine too.

Certainly looks like it.

Would be pleased with that. Defensive upgrade for sure. I know he didn't have the best of seasons last year, but I don't think many did for St Johnstone. 

Edited by MurrayWell

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

@RandomGuy. do you have charts for Liam Gordon and Ayo Obileye please? :lol:

You don't want to see Gordons. 

28 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Each to their own, but I found last night to be more peak Alexander-ball than Ketts-ball.

Kettlewell does try to attack, albeit in some bizarre ways at times and never, ever with wingers. 

Formation wise it's pretty much the same imo- 3-6-1/5-4-1 or whatever with four central midfielders. I do agree that we're better to watch than Scotland though.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Formation wise it's pretty much the same imo- 3-6-1/5-4-1 or whatever with four central midfielders. I do agree that we're better to watch than Scotland though.

Oh aye, very similar shape wise.

Last night sort of reminded me of one of the wins up at Aberdeen under Alexander. I'm sure we had one shot, KvV scored. And while it was absolutely hilarious it was also chronic to watch. 

It's been to long since the bold Eric Nicolson was mentioned on here but apparently we weren't the only one's after him.

He may have played over 100 times for St Johnstone over the last few years but I've absolutely no recollection of if he's actually any good.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You don't want to see Gordons. 

Aye. That's kind of what I was getting at.

This honestly feels as much of a curveball as Ross Callachan tbh. Like, I was expecting us to bring in another centre back but not someone with Gordon's profile.

Also, we've randomly just decided to start teasing signings? Cool.

Just now, camer0n_mcd said:

It's been to long since the bold Eric Nicolson was mentioned on here but apparently we weren't the only one's after him.

He may have played over 100 times for St Johnstone over the last few years but I've absolutely no recollection of if he's actually any good.

Mate of mine is a St Johnstone fan, likes him but says he's absolutely needing a change of scenery, said becoming captain seemed to have an impact. He fully expected him to move down south. 'Solid enough defender' was his overall analysis, as mentioned above though I think last season was far from his best. 

43 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Each to their own, but I found last night to be more peak Alexander-ball than Ketts-ball.

Kettlewell does try to attack, albeit in some bizarre ways at times and never, ever with wingers. 

For me it was double cup final 17/18. Do well to get there, including some results against the odds (Moult’s chip) and in the finals we don’t lay a glove on Celtic or even get close.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. That's kind of what I was getting at.

This honestly feels as much of a curveball as Ross Callachan tbh. Like, I was expecting us to bring in another centre back but not someone with Gordon's profile.

Also, we've randomly just decided to start teasing signings? Cool.

It's all orange, verging on red, apart from aerial stuff.

He was woeful last season, and is a disaster with VAR as he's very grabby, but there's no doubt he's a top flight CB when he's average/good. You could tell he was taking our struggles personally and being from Perth/a Saints fan saw the abuse he was getting when he was shite ramped up. 

He'll do well for you IMO and be better than his last year or two with us, but it'll depend how he is mentally. Staying with us and struggling wasn't doing him any good.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

It's all orange, verging on red, apart from aerial stuff.

He was woeful last season, and is a disaster with VAR as he's very grabby, but there's no doubt he's a top flight CB when he's average/good. You could tell he was taking our struggles personally and being from Perth/a Saints fan saw the abuse he was getting when he was shite ramped up. 

He'll do well for you IMO and be better than his last year or two with us, but it'll depend how he is mentally. Staying with us and struggling wasn't doing him any good.

Did he play in the centre of the back 3 at Saints?

Also, out of nosey-ness did Levein offer him a new deal or had everyone agreed on a clean break before it got to that stage?

Either way, with Thelonius looking like he'll be making a move this gives the bold Eric someone else to weirdly fixate on at Motherwell. :)

Genuinely unsure who our starting three centre backs will be. All those signed could be starters in their own rights.

Just get a left wing back and another keeper and tbh I think we are done.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Did he play in the centre of the back 3 at Saints?

Also, out of nosey-ness did Levein offer him a new deal or had everyone agreed on a clean break before it got to that stage?

Either way, with Thelonius looking like he'll be making a move this gives the bold Eric someone else to weirdly fixate on at Motherwell. :)

Aye he was at his best in the middle of a back three. Tommy Wright played him there (but dropped him when he went back 4 for McCart/Kerr), he played there throughout Davidsons spell, than Levein did too. It seems to be his best position as its the least technical of the CB positions in a 3.

It was never confirmed either way but I feel like we'll have offered him a deal but with a wage cut. He went from major player in the double team and captain to a bog standard CB who was only captain due to his links to the club, and the offer would've reflected that.