Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Is McMahon’s point not that every club will be benefiting from extra money from Sky, Premier Sports, etc, but quite a few of our peers have people putting in significant funds each year e.g. Bill Bowie at Kilmarnock, Roy Mac at Ross County, etc, which means we need additional investment just to stand still relative to our peers? The only way that changes is if our peers financial model collapses, which would be uncertain.

McMahon's point changes every 20 minutes so it's hard to be sure.

Either way, those guys and the guy at Hearts are fans behaving as benefactors, not investors. Obviously we'd love one of them but even that's not without substantial risk (see United, D.).

If you think things are tight now, in  what plausible scenario will they be better with an investor looking to extract value from the club?

Edit because I initially forgot the point about peers collapsing - the number of times outside support has proved successful in the long-term in Scotland is tiny in comparison to the numerous car crashes it produces. It is way, way more likely that you enter a Dunfermline, Dundee (various), Motherwell, Kilmarnock first time, Dundee United, Hearts, Rangers, Livingston (various) etc scenario than you find the perfect combination a la Celtic/McCann or McGregor doing just enough to prop up County. The only truly sustainable future for us is to spend what we earn (and by all means try to increase that), whatever level that leaves us at. Lottery winners apart, obviously...

Edited by Handsome_Devil

17 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Is McMahon’s point not that every club will be benefiting from extra money from Sky, Premier Sports, etc, but quite a few of our peers have people putting in significant funds each year e.g. Bill Bowie at Kilmarnock, Roy Mac at Ross County, etc, which means we need additional investment just to stand still relative to our peers? The only way that changes is if our peers financial model collapses, which would be uncertain.

I am sure this is where I differ from many fans on here. I want Motherwell to stand on its own 2 feet only spend what it raises. no one outside of the WS is going to give a club anything without expecting something back. 

Killie and County are interesting comparisons and both blow McMahon's argument out the water. Both have had significate investments from their owners and last season aside, for Killie, haven't done much with it. in fact both have been relegated to the Championship during the rein of both owners.

So when McMahon says

"Is it better to contribute regular annual amounts which can be fed into our budget? Does that make it less likely we will get dragged into relegation? The answer is probably yes, so that is something we need to consider and this transaction provides that opportunity."

its not really true as both MacGregor and Bowie have put in more than EB.

1 hour ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

I believe the main point here is the term "substantial funds." If someone, or a consortium, expressed interest in investing substantial funds, then a conversation would obviously be warranted.

Personally, I do not consider £300k per year to be anywhere near what I would term "substantial funds."

It is also worth noting that if we decided to proceed with Barmack's offer, it would cause issues if we wished to entertain any other offers in the future, as we would effectively have to mess around with the structure even more unless Barmack sold his shares or we diluted the Well Society to such an extent that their presence would not even justify the PayPal fees for a monthly payment.

This is why I strongly advocate against jumping at the first offer. Scottish football is currently on an upward trajectory, as other contributors on this forum have demonstrated. We might very well receive offers in the future.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Should have been before then IMO

Aye, I'd have made it May 31...a fair cut off before any details were officially known. Though presumably they have an overview of who has joined recently and feel more signed up to defend than destroy.

2 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

It's certain *A* point he's tried to make but it's not the point that was being made in the section I quoted and he seems to have lost the run of himself.

Similarly he's not actually opened himself up to discussion on the matter at least not since he bumbled his way through that interview in January so beyond the pass-agg of it all in the *lengthy* statements from the club it's difficult to know what his point is now especially given there have been so many red flags raised which neither he or the Executive Board have really addressed.

As others have highlighted in reply it's not something that really stacks up and the trade off for what we'd be getting from Mr 10% Of A Plan (which, beyond the equivalent of a development fee a season, isn't exactly clear) vs what we're losing isn't really worth it.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As others have highlighted in reply it's not something that really stacks up and the trade off for what we'd be getting from Mr 10% Of A Plan (which, beyond the equivalent of a development fee a season, isn't exactly clear) vs what we're losing isn't really worth it.

:lol: I've been waiting for you to call him this.

7 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Six clean sheets in 17 games, that's stats we could only dream of last season. 

Sounds promising, overall really pleased with how we've gone about our business in this window. 

Just extended his contract with West Ham until 2027 as well. Agree. Been a very good transfer window so far.