Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I don't have a problem putting players out on loan, but we don't seem to be good at finding clubs that will actually play our loanees. If they're going to be parked on a bench, it might as well be ours.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

Could the Well Society give us a vote on ever seeing a midfield pairing of Andrew William Halliday and Harrison Theodore Paton please?

Many thanks.

Wells looks bright, as does Balmer, SODs has been decent too. Need more creativity in this team though. 

You missed the invisible man Davor Zdravkovski.

Offers absolutely nothing in a game like today.

The first clean sheet in a long time is always a positive.

I don’t know if we were good or if Edinburgh were shit but we looked so dangerous at set pieces.

After watching that I’d prioritise two wing backs and a creative midfielder type with the 3 signings Ketts has been talking about. We look ok everywhere else.

1 minute ago, Swami said:

Thought Paton was absolutely fine today, not sure what everyone’s going on about. Liked the look of Robinson. 

I think it's more the combination of very defensive players in a midfield against a rather poor League 2 side that folk are getting at. For the record, I don't think Halliday or Paton are poor players, I don't think that combination today was great though. Saying that, we've got injuries in that area of the park, so perhaps that was more in the thinking than setting up cautiously. 

Anyway, a comfortable win, minutes in the legs, a clean sheet and some decent performances, particularly from some of the new guys, a good Saturday all round. 

12 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I think it's more the combination of very defensive players in a midfield against a rather poor League 2 side that folk are getting at. For the record, I don't think Halliday or Paton are poor players, I don't think that combination today was great though. Saying that, we've got injuries in that area of the park, so perhaps that was more in the thinking than setting up cautiously. 

Anyway, a comfortable win, minutes in the legs, a clean sheet and some decent performances, particularly from some of the new guys, a good Saturday all round. 

Having a go at Halliday, Paton or Davor today is silly, they all performed perfectly fine relative to the sort of players they are. If you want to find blame for the first half, look at the dugout.

But aye, nothing to add. Some cautious spots of optimism but essentially a training exercise.

You'd expect Montrose and Clyde will offer a sterner test before a proper dress rehearsal/cup do-or-die v. Thistle.

3 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Another season of Harry Paton being the first name on the team sheet, God give me strength...

We could have the full Argentinian world cup winning squad on our books and Paton would still be a first pick, probably at the expense of messi.

Job done, and that’s absolutely fine at this stage of the season. Robinson is much quicker than I remember him at Dundee - looked sharp when he came on. Also didn’t realise he’s only just turned 22, had it in my head he was 25/26 for some reason. Got quite high hopes for him. 

12 minutes ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

Think we're seeing one emerging already

If I had to bet, I think SK will quickly draw the ire should it go wrong rather than any individual. 

The squad looks ok but his apparent determination to play 3-6-1 basically means he has little alibi if results aren't there pdq.

51 minutes ago, Swami said:

Thought Paton was absolutely fine today, not sure what everyone’s going on about. Liked the look of Robinson. 

Paton could...

Complete 20/21 passes, making 15 tackles, score a goal and there will be some who will remember that one miss placed pass and claim he was shit...  

I’ll be honest, thought Paton was one of the better players on the pitch today. Agree the mid 3 maybe wasn’t the best combo but thought he was the one continually finding space more than others. His (any most others) touch was a bit pre-season, but otherwise I thought he played nicely. 
Agree on Robinson comments, he looked very sharp when he came on and similarly didn’t realise he was only 22. Excited to watch him this season. Stuparevic also had some nice touches. Balmer looked very solid and composed.
Not too sure what to make of the young lads given the level of opposition but Wilson’s set up for the 3rd was excellent and Wells had a few good touches. Think he’ll get a bit braver on the ball as he gets more games but that’ll come and a decent start.

3 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Paton, when fit, will start every game this season. 

I actually don't mind Paton, but this is so true it's funny.

I don't have a huge issue with Paton, other than his hair. He keeps the ball and is busy, and does a good enough job of getting the ball back, and always involved, but he lacks a final ball.  He's shown he can finish when he gets the chance too. Essentially does a bit of everything but not great at any one thing.

Both Paton and Halliday put in far better corners than Spittal could manage, so that's us starting to replace him in the aggregate already.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Paton is fine but has zero composure in the final third and I'm going to have to find peace with that, simply.

The problem is Kettlewell is pushing him up the park and he doesn't have the ability or creativity to play in that role.

I want to see Moses and Robinson start the next game.

I'm not sold on Strupevic at all.